PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dweomer of Transference

Myou
2010-03-13, 10:15 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dweomer_of_Transference

The description seems to say that this spell makes the target immune to all magic, even SR:No spells. I'm guessing I've missed something, and the spell in't really that broken, can anyone tell me what?

"For the duration of the spell, any spells cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect, instead converting themselves harmlessly into psionic energy that the subject can use as energy for psionic powers. You can cast any spell you like at the subject, even area spells, effect spells, and spells for whom the subject would ordinarily not be a legitimate target. The spells don’t do anything other than provide the subject with power points,"

tyckspoon
2010-03-13, 10:26 AM
We had like a five-page argument about this not too long ago.. unfortunately I can't remember what the start of the thread was about to search it up.

Short answer: No, the Dweomer does not work like that. Having a spell cast so that it will affect you is not the same thing as having a spell cast at you- it's basically the same as the distinction between a spell that Targets you and one that just hits you. Dweomer absorbs spells that Target you (so it does provide protection against Hold Person, Slay Living, Finger of Death and the like) and provides a special option for other spells to be Targeted upon you if the caster desires. You can still be hit by Fireballs/Rays/Webs/etc normally.

SparkMandriller
2010-03-13, 10:30 AM
It specifies "you" casting or "your" spells three other times in the description. I think it's pretty safe to assume it's only meant to work on what you cast.

Starshade
2010-03-13, 10:40 AM
My first thought is the spell resistance: yes (Harmless) on it could mean, it only would work on spells who would not hurt you. I'm thinking it could be meant to absorb anything who do not hurt, tho i do not know where that spell comes from, is it from a book, or from wotc's web site? Do its original source contain some more rules, or have some errata?