PDA

View Full Version : Question on Wording in Chameleon...

DueceEsMachine
2010-03-13, 12:56 PM
Okay, so I'm 99% certain that this has come up somewhere else, but I just noticed it myself.

In the Chameleon Text, p.112, RoD, it says they gain proficiency with all "forms" of armor, including shields, but not tower shields.

I thought the wording was strange, so I flipped a few pages and found some other classes that grant proficiency with all Types of armors, including tower shield.

I didn't see this particular wording anywhere else. I'm probably way off on this, but someone going entirely RAW could argue that the chameleon class allows you to use even exotic armors with proficiency, since they're categorized by type (light/med/heavy), and it specifically says you're proficient with all forms of armor.

Am I way off on this?

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-13, 01:04 PM
Wait, are there exotic armors? I've never seen any...

DueceEsMachine
2010-03-13, 01:05 PM
Yeah, Races of Stone is a great example:
Gnome twist cloth, Mammoth Leather, Interlocking Scale, ect. p. 158

Graymayre
2010-03-13, 01:10 PM
That is almost obscenely strange.

If it did mean exotic types as well, I would think that the text would clarify it rather than just leaving the ruling for players to decipher from a quirk in the language.

Gametime
2010-03-13, 01:11 PM
Clearly, it means that they are not only proficient with the types of armor, but also different forms - that is to say, a chameleon could wear plate designed for a centaur, even though it is of a partially equine form. :smalltongue:

Or maybe they mean the Platonic form, and chameleons are only proficient with the perfect ideal of armor and not the more mundane examples to be found in the actual world.

In all seriousness, I doubt anyone would let you get away with that. Not that it makes an enormous difference - I can't remember a lot of good exotic armors.

DueceEsMachine
2010-03-13, 01:15 PM
yeah - there aren't many that are so awesome they're unbeleivable, but it just stuck out to me that it was such strange wording. Battle plate is about the only one you'd bother with I think - better Armor bonus, Max dex and penalty than full plate.

I'll agree - I wouldn't allow it as a Dm, but some might, and it's interesting for those people who are into the RAW.