PDA

View Full Version : Programmed Image

graeylin
2010-03-13, 02:08 PM
This spell seems ripe for abuse. My illusionist tries to cast a couple every down day when not adventuring, setting them to trigger words or situations, whereupon a great host of illusions are set to occur.

Is there any limit to this? I could walk around with a stack of programmed images centered on myself or my familiar, and should I say "Fuego", an illusionary wall of fire could appear. Or ice. Or a wall of steel, or a large red dragon, or a horde of zombies...

What creative uses can you recommend?

Jack_Simth
2010-03-13, 02:16 PM
This spell seems ripe for abuse. My illusionist tries to cast a couple every down day when not adventuring, setting them to trigger words or situations, whereupon a great host of illusions are set to occur.

Is there any limit to this? I could walk around with a stack of programmed images centered on myself or my familiar, and should I say "Fuego", an illusionary wall of fire could appear. Or ice. Or a wall of steel, or a large red dragon, or a horde of zombies...

What creative uses can you recommend?
It's anchored to an area, not a person. Sorry. It happens where you cast it.

Still, useful for fortresses and stuff.

2xMachina
2010-03-13, 02:42 PM
Also, illusion. That wall of fire would do absolutely nothing. They could stand on it, think they're burning, and get 0 damage whatsoever.

Good for making them run/move somewhere-else though.

EDIT: BTW, any way to add the Shadow tag to Illusions? Would make the image line very nice (and OP probably).

Lysander
2010-03-13, 03:00 PM
That's the limit. It's cast on a place, not a person. Plus each one is single use, lasts just 1 round/level and costs 25gp. Permanent Image is better, but requires you to be there.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-13, 03:10 PM
That's the limit. It's cast on a place, not a person. Plus each one is single use, lasts just 1 round/level and costs 25gp. Permanent Image is better, but requires you to be there.

Yep. You can use Programmed Image as a one-shot distraction/fear trap, or a mostly secure way to leave a message for someone specific, or as an alarm for someone else in the area, but that's about the limit of what can be done.

Zexion
2010-03-13, 03:11 PM
What if you used it to make several laser barriers? People wouldn't touch them because they would be afraid of being sliced through, or-
never mind that. A wall of blades, however...

Lysander
2010-03-13, 03:21 PM
There are a variety of clever ways to use it for a security system, or to give yourself an edge in a potential battle that might occur in that area.

For example, let's say you program an illusion of several dozen of yourself running around. Activate it when there's a battle and it'll function like a better form of mirage image (except once you give yourself away or they find you the images won't recombine to mislead them again).

It's also a way of letting non-spellcasters effectively cast silent image. Just set up an elaborate system of distractions and tricks activated by password or voice recognition, designed to be used by your guards.

Also, talking is a free action. So you can use it to create an illusion on your own turn without taking an action to do so.

Here's one trick I really like. Have a series of illusory walls ready to go up should an enemy spellcaster ever begin casting a spell targeting you. It goes up blocking their view, and they need to make a will save in order to see you and continue the spell. Meanwhile its your illusory so you auto-disbelieve it and can see them.

graeylin
2010-03-13, 08:56 PM
So, the ruling seems to be that once cast, even upon an object, that if the object is carried beyond the spell range, it ceases?

My DM allows it to be cast on an object, and only when triggered, does the spell "center" and expand into the cubic foot area of effect.

Hmmm, that does change things.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-13, 10:42 PM
So, the ruling seems to be that once cast, even upon an object, that if the object is carried beyond the spell range, it ceases?

My DM allows it to be cast on an object, and only when triggered, does the spell "center" and expand into the cubic foot area of effect.

Hmmm, that does change things.

By RAW, it can't be cast on an object. It functions as silent image, which specifies an area.

obnoxious
sig