PDA

View Full Version : 3.x Is there a way to make a character truely immortal?

randomhero00
2010-03-13, 02:24 PM
That immortal thread got me thinking. Just for fun (since in game it would probably not serve much purpose and/or make it boring) is there a way to make your character not only live forever, but always come back from death? Using no outside sources (such as a priest cohort that can raise you or something) since said sources would eventually fade/die.

So one of the main problem I see getting around is disintegration. The only way to come back from being disintegrated, I think is Wish? Is there a way to become immune to it? I suppose with some crazy items you could have some sort of contingent wish thing, but that'd be an outside source that eventually fade/get stolen.

Of course, that's kind of getting ahead, still have to find a way to always be able to come back from even normal deaths. Lich wouldn't work, since after several million years or so I'm sure your phylacteries would be destroyed, no matter how well hidden.

So is there any way to do this? It might be an interesting character goal to roleplay and retire him once he achieves such.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-13, 02:29 PM
That immortal thread got me thinking. Just for fun (since in game it would probably not serve much purpose and/or make it boring) is there a way to make your character not only live forever, but always come back from death? Using no outside sources (such as a priest cohort that can raise you or something) since said sources would eventually fade/die.

So one of the main problem I see getting around is disintegration. The only way to come back from being disintegrated, I think is Wish? Is there a way to become immune to it? I suppose with some crazy items you could have some sort of contingent wish thing, but that'd be an outside source that eventually fade/get stolen.

Of course, that's kind of getting ahead, still have to find a way to always be able to come back from even normal deaths. Lich wouldn't work, since after several million years or so I'm sure your phylacteries would be destroyed, no matter how well hidden.

So is there any way to do this? It might be an interesting character goal to roleplay and retire him once he achieves such.Mostly possible. There's an Epic spell seed that can create undead of a chosen type. Ghost is on that list. You can make a spell that turns you into a ghost as soon as you're killed. Maybe take the time to make certain that the undead you create is under your control, so that anyone attempting to control you has to make an opposed Charisma check vs. You. A Ghost with 15 or more hit dice never fails the DC 16 hit dice check to respawn. If you've got the 21 levels needed to make Epic casting, then all you need to worry about is dead magic zones and hunters of the dead. Plus, you know, stuff that'll control you, rather than merely killing you.

Also:
Resurrection, True Resurrection, and a few other things will undo Disintegrate.

randomhero00
2010-03-13, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't a ghost be worse than a lich?

2xMachina
2010-03-13, 02:37 PM
Ghost. Make sure you've a reason to stay. Take 3 lvls of Ghost, and you'll be around forever. The Reju always works. ALWAYS. No phylactery to destory. Only way to get rid of the ghost is to please it.

Though, if that counts, passing onto to be a petitioner in your heaven counts as staying 'alive' too.

Problem. Soul destroying stuff.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-13, 02:37 PM
Wouldn't a ghost be worse than a lich?

Liches can be destroyed, special abilities aside, the ONLY way to permanently remove a ghost is to determine why it still exists, and set things right.

Narazil
2010-03-13, 02:38 PM
Liches can be destroyed, special abilities aside, the ONLY way to permanently remove a ghost is to determine why it still exists, and set things right.
Or that silly anti-undead divine caster prestige class.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-13, 02:39 PM

hence "special abilities aside." I was referring to undead destroying abilities, not ghost/lich abilities.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-13, 02:40 PM

Hunter of the Dead. Almost nobody takes it to the capstone, though, which is what it'd take. Even with that, though, there are ways around Rejuvination - it's Su, so doesn't work in an AMF, for instance. Likewise, you're not guaranteed to beat the check unless you've got at least 15 hit dice (or the DM lets you take ten on it).

Problem. Soul destroying stuff.Find one that doesn't require the target be alive in the first place, and we'll talk.

Narazil
2010-03-13, 02:41 PM
Hunter of the Dead. Almost nobody takes it to the capstone, though, which is what it'd take. Even with that, though, there are ways around Rejuvination - it's Su, so doesn't work in an AMF, for instance. Likewise, you're not guaranteed to beat the check unless you've got at least 15 hit dice (or the DM lets you take ten on it).
Isn't the capstone immunity to level drain? True Death is on level 5 or so.

Find one that doesn't require the target be alive in the first place, and we'll talk.
I'm pretty sure you're "alive" when you enter an afterlife. Plane Shift, eat soul.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-13, 02:42 PM
Even with that, though, there are ways around Rejuvination - it's Su, so doesn't work in an AMF, for instance.
Given that incorporeal undead wink out of existence in an AMF, I doubt not having Rejuvination up in one will be an issue.

pffh
2010-03-13, 02:50 PM
One question about the ghost. Lets say you have character that has the goal of achieving immortality but die on a quest and becomes a ghost thus fulfilling the ghosts reason to stay thus destroying it thus not fulfilling it's quest etc

What then?

DementedFellow
2010-03-13, 02:50 PM
Dry Lich has 5 phylacteries basically. Hide them each in a different undisclosed location and viola!

Jack_Simth
2010-03-13, 02:55 PM
Isn't the capstone immunity to level drain? True Death is on level 5 or so.

Okay. I haven't really looked at it all that closely. Still... it basically requires you to be a Cleric to enter, it progresses no spellcasting, and you don't get the thing that lets you keep a ghost down for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure you're "alive" when you enter an afterlife. Plane Shift, eat soul.
Hmm? No, he's still type Undead once he becomes a ghost. You'd basically need to meet him on the Ethereal (where he's not incorporeal), hit him with Polymorph Any Object, hope he fails his save, and THEN eat his soul.

Given that incorporeal undead wink out of existence in an AMF, I doubt not having Rejuvination up in one will be an issue.
Unlike most incorporeal critters, a Ghost is not always incorporeal. From the Ethereal plane, a ghost is a corporeal undead. The AMF just cuts off the Su abilities - including Manifestation and Rejuvination.

One question about the ghost. Lets say you have character that has the goal of achieving immortality but die on a quest and becomes a ghost thus fulfilling the ghosts reason to stay thus destroying it thus not fulfilling it's quest etc

What then?
Simple: The goal is not to "become immortal" - it's to "survive forever".

Narazil
2010-03-13, 02:56 PM

What then?
Let's see.
Have the goal? Check.
Die on a quest and become a ghost? Check
You become a ghost, but as you do, you fulfil your reason to stay.

Result? You are a ghost until you realize you no longer have a reason to stay, seeing as you have already had the goal of immortality, and have already become a ghost.

Okay. I haven't really looked at it all that closely. Still... it basically requires you to be a Cleric to enter, it progresses no spellcasting, and you don't get the thing that lets you keep a ghost down for quite some time.
It requires you to be a level 1 Cleric. It's full BAB, so not a bad choice for a flavourful Fighter.

Hmm? No, he's still type Undead once he becomes a ghost. You'd basically need to meet him on the Ethereal (where he's not incorporeal), hit him with Polymorph Any Object, hope he fails his save, and THEN eat his soul.

I meant the 'go-to-the-afterlife-and-become-an-angel/devil/whatever' method.

Mongoose87
2010-03-13, 02:58 PM
Craft contingent spell+Reincarnation. Make the contingency for each consecutive contingent spell be that the one before it has also been used, so that you don't get reincarnated 50 times for one death.

Narazil
2010-03-13, 02:59 PM
Craft contingent spell+Reincarnation. Make the contingency for each consecutive contingent spell be that the one before it has also been used, so that you don't get reincarnated 50 times for one death.
Or simply word carefully. "The next time I die..." "After I have died once, when I die..."

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-13, 03:04 PM
Or simply word carefully. "The next time I die..." "After I have died once, when I die..."

"If I have been dead for more than one second"
"If I have been dead for more than two seconds"
"If I have been dead for more than three seconds"
etc

Optimystik
2010-03-13, 03:06 PM

Even things that destroy souls (like a Barghest) don't do so entirely. The closest D&D has to "obliterate target soul forever" is the Unname spell (ToM) where you erase someone from reality all the way down to their Truename - and even THAT can be reversed.

Narazil
2010-03-13, 03:10 PM
Even things that destroy souls (like a Barghest) don't do so entirely. The closest D&D has to "obliterate target soul forever" is the Unname spell (ToM) where you erase someone from reality all the way down to their Truename - and even THAT can be reversed.
Well, it's a moot point. You're not truly immortal if you're lying dead in a Soul Gem. :smallwink:

randomhero00
2010-03-13, 03:19 PM

So would this work? What happens if you die in an AMF?

Remember, the goal is to be truly immortal, as in, being alive for billions of years upon years. Afterlife doesn't really count (like ghosts, especially since you'd be laid to rest eventually.) Although, I spose if there was a way to become a demon/deva and have free reign/retain yourself that might work (and be able to live on the prime material plane if you chose). But how could you guarantee you'd become one? Plus, that tends to come with all sorts of restrictions, like wizards can bind you, or you have to follow orders from superior beings. Not sure about that one.

Sucrose
2010-03-13, 03:21 PM
For an alternative, one could use the Save Game exploit, and play as an elan or warforged. Infinite lifespan, and the ability to come back from anything: check.

randomhero00
2010-03-13, 03:25 PM
For an alternative, one could use the Save Game exploit, and play as an elan or warforged. Infinite lifespan, and the ability to come back from anything: check.

Doesn't that require your psicrystal? What happens if you die on a day your psicrystal also happened to die?

Itous
2010-03-13, 04:47 PM
i'm not trying to sound like someone being picky but define immortal for me

if you wish to have a physical form and not age. Divine rank 0

if you wish to have a physical form and not age or die in combat i belive that is divine rank 2 - 3

any player who has read up on the divine ranking system in the 3.5 Dieties and Demigod's book will know that Divine rank 0 means you simply do not age but can still die in combat but you do not come back to life.

i belive divine rank 2 - 3 means in combat if you reach -10 you drop but get back up a little bit later i think after 8 hours, how ever burning the body would mean you would not come back to life but most people simply don't bother with that so in theory you would come back.

if you confirm these points with your DM you will normally get what you want.

personally if you were a fighter for example who was the son of another god or daughter of a god i would offer this.

loose all fighter bonus feats no substitutions they are gone for good.

you would gain divine rank 0 automaticly (as before you don't age but can die in combat)
but i would then say you can take feats to help you heal for example one feat "fast healing" then you would have to take another feat "fast healing 1" etc and so forth, this way you have the choice between combat or health, if you stay true to your back history you will always take the fast healing.

although if you were smart about it you would take 3 levels in cleric then take the feat "craft wanderious item" using a scroll to place a spell onto the amulet of your god which you would always wear around your neck that gives you 1hp per level unless you could cast it yourself, then take levels in fighter thus granting you back your combat skills but never being able to use a edged metal weapon other wise you would loose your cleric-hood and spell casting abilitys.

don't forget about other items that grant you things like tempoary hit points those could be essentially used as a HP shield meaning someone could stand there all day and hit you with a 18 str and a long sword dealing at most 10 hp if you had it maximised you would never loose a single drop of your own HP.

just some food for thought there for you, i hope i have helped

Itous

randomhero00
2010-03-13, 06:34 PM
stuff

Huh? I'm not looking to play an immortal character. Just a thought experiment to see if it would be possible to obtain through normal adventuring ways. Plus, so what if I had fast healing? Monsters usually don't (because DMs are nice) but they do have the option of finishing you off, fast healing wouldn't prevent that.

Itous
2010-03-13, 06:55 PM
no but it would make you harder to kill, if you want immortality though adventuring then i sujest you roll a level 1 character take toughness at every oppertunity and wait untill you get to epic level and take epic life span multiple times providing you keep adventuring you character will not actully die providing you keep playing, assuming you can keep it alive that long.

you can also do other things to keep yourself from aging with spells and magic.

transportation seed can slow you for 20 rounds, combined with an actual slow spell and crafting feats you epic life span will multiply by 20 providing you can have an active retirement, you'll be ok

Godskook
2010-03-13, 07:30 PM
Try searching for the Emerald Legion.

I for one welcome our Illithid masters...

Zexion
2010-03-13, 07:33 PM
I have a class that gives Divine Rank 0 as a capstone ability right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144942). Also, the Death Domain Major ability effectively grants the ability to always come back after death in combat. Combine them and you have... effective complete immortality.

PanNarrans
2010-03-13, 07:45 PM
How exactly does the psionic save game trick work? My google-fu has failed me...

Sophismata
2010-03-13, 08:16 PM
The save game trick uses Mass Time Hop to put your psicrsytal outside of time, just after it's cast one of those spells that allows it to reset everything to the beginning of the round, when the spell was cast.

I think an easier trick is to be a Warforged or Elan Shaper, and use Astral Seed and Genesis to make yourself practically immortal.

Whenever you die, you're sent back to your demi-plane, where you remake yourself. Sadly, you lose a level.

Deca
2010-03-13, 08:22 PM
Get someone to cast Imprisonment on you.

You'll technically live forever. If you consider that living...

Zexion
2010-03-13, 08:33 PM
Bring a laptop with internet and you can pass the time anywhere... even under an imprisonment spell.

Vilyathas
2010-03-14, 05:09 AM
1. Charm a night hag into separating yourself from your mortality. Side effects may include total amnesia after dying and coming back to life.

2. Be a lich. That's just the start. From there you'll have the time and magical resources to research a really permanent method. Just beware of adventurers coming to kill you for XP and loot.

3. Be a god. Hey, if it works for Cyric...

4. Clone is a level 8 arcane spell in the Player's Handbook. With a bit of Epic research, it may be possible to circumvent the "die of old age" limit.

5. Soul bind yourself to a really powerful magical item. This method may not be foolproof, as the soulbind magic may degrade over time, be subject to antimagic field or Disjunction, or even the destruction of said magic item. Also, soulbinding to a magic item effectively makes you THAT magic item, so you might want to try binding into something practical, like golems.

6. I'm not sure, but isn't there a psionic ability that lets you transfer your mind into someone else's body? True Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm)

After all said and done, being a true immortal is dependent on how well your relationship is to your DM. And how long can you play the same character before you get bored of it :smallwink:

2xMachina
2010-03-14, 05:15 AM
Elan: Age is not a problem.

The problem is making you immune to being killed.

BobVosh
2010-03-14, 05:19 AM
Ikea Tarrasque / Emerald Legion member: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587

Nidogg
2010-03-14, 05:38 AM
live on a positive energy plane, say, Ysgard. Anyone who dies gets immidiately Tru resd the next day.

AgentPaper
2010-03-14, 06:15 AM
1) Be something that can't die of old age.
2) Cast Gate to call in something that can cast Wish and Gate.
3) Give the gated in creature the following order:

If (your name) is dead, cast wish to bring him back from the dead. If (your name)'s body is destroyed, cast wish to restore his body. Then, cast Gate to call in any being you can control that can also cast Wish and Gate, and instruct them to do as I just instructed you.

If there are a limited amount of solars/other things that can cast gate and wish, then you'll probably want this to go on in your own private demiplane, where time moves very, very slowly, for example 1 second inside for each 1 hour outside, to keep this from annoying too many solars at the same time.

If there's an infinite amount of solars, instead make the demiplane have very, very fast time, for example 1 hour inside for each 1 second outside, and also change the orders so that they cast gate as many times as they are able to before the duration is over, such that you get exponential growth, making it harder for someone to come in and interrupt the loop.

Of course, if you're gunna allow something like this, then Pun-Pun works even better. Omniscifier also works, I think. Just use your infinite bluff to convince the Lady of Pain that you're a permanent part of Sigil despite the fact that you may or may not be in Sigil at any point in time.

(Also, there's no E in truly)