PDA

View Full Version : plant companion worthy?

DireFrostWolf
2010-03-13, 08:54 PM
I'm planning on doing a plant theme druid for a game. Then i saw in a dragon magazine ( nș 357) there i found that druids could actually select a plant companion instead of an animal companion. It doesn't gain the normal abilities of a normal AC except the HD and Natural Armor, it gains special abilities. My question is: is it really worthy, i mean it isn't underpowered? o it's overpowered? has anyone used it so far? what's your opinion about it?

magic9mushroom
2010-03-13, 09:35 PM
I'm planning on doing a plant theme druid for a game. Then i saw in a dragon magazine ( nș 357) there i found that druids could actually select a plant companion instead of an animal companion. It doesn't gain the normal abilities of a normal AC except the HD and Natural Armor, it gains special abilities. My question is: is it really worthy, i mean it isn't underpowered? o it's overpowered? has anyone used it so far? what's your opinion about it?

Can you get Yellow Musk Creepers with it?

Starbuck_II
2010-03-13, 10:17 PM

Well, plants don't need to be trained. So commanding should be a free action (even without handle animal).
What listed plants does it show? Treant?

Soranar
2010-03-13, 10:24 PM
depends what kind of group you're playing

with a bard, plants are subpar (immune to mind affecting so not boosted by morale bonuses)

fire is really common, and plants are weak against it

being immune to crits (and sneak attacks) is usually not so useful as a support character , unless it's often targeted (say a mount)

taltamir
2010-03-13, 10:24 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typessubtypes.htm

Plant Type
This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.

Features
A plant creature has the following features.

8-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to Ÿ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
Good Fortitude saves.
Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the plant creature has an Intelligence score. However, some plant creatures are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.
Traits
A plant creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Low-light vision.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits.
Proficient with its natural weapons only.
Proficient with no armor.
Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.

As you can see, plants have a very nice list of immunities. I am not sure what abilities exactly they do not get since I don't have that dragon mag...
Whether this is a worthwhile substitute depends on how valuable the gained and lost abilities are in your campaign setting. (aka, do you get poisoned a lot? fighting lots of enchanters? etc)

FishAreWet
2010-03-13, 10:28 PM
For those without the magazine, you don't pick from existing plants. You 'create' a plant monster from abilities granted every couple levels.

But how good is it? It's pretty good. Assuming Druid 20, there are probably better things to take but it is by no means overpowered.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-13, 10:31 PM
Ooh, make your own monsters Companion?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-13, 10:34 PM
use the plant from little shop of horrors

taltamir
2010-03-13, 10:50 PM
pick a tree that has a small branch sticking up near its bottom center. make a lot of jokes about it in the morning.