PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon of the last Man. (Need help)

Pika...
2010-03-13, 10:18 PM
OK, so one of my PCs in my Goblins & Kobolds campaign (more info HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143247)) gave me some AMAZING fluff to work with.

He worked in that there is ONE last Human hon this world. This is him:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/kodxp.jpg

What I love about this is that it completely turns the perspective and such of D&D all around. It is not about some low-level adventurers barging into the homes of poor little Kobolds or Goblins and taking their stuff after killing their people and families. No, here it is about just the opposite. Here it is a group of Goblin, Kobold, and Dogbold adventurers going into a dungeon and finding (and eventually fighting) a HUMAN as the final, terrifying BBEG. I LOVE it. :smallbiggrin:

Any ideas here? I am drawing a bank, and have no idea what-so-ever where to even start with such an unusual dungeon and final BBEG.

All I know so far is that there is a hoard+ worth of priceless Human military weapons, and possibly even the diagrams on how to make the Human "artifacts" (aka Guns, ammo, tanks, etc) which alone would throw the balance of power on this world either in the direction of the Goblins or the Kobolds (although I am not sure Goblins would be able to use them?).

Please let me know what you think.

ps. What level should this NPC be, and what level encounter should I plan for/to build up the group for?

pss. Should he be the final BBEG for my firstg time running this homebrewed world (oh trust me, there will be more...).

Geiger Counter
2010-03-13, 11:37 PM
OK, so one of my PCs in my Goblins & Kobolds campaign (more info HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143247)) gave me some AMAZING fluff to work with.

He worked in that there is ONE last Human hon this world. This is him:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/kodxp.jpg

What I love about this is that it completely turns the perspective and such of D&D all around. It is not about some low-level adventurers barging into the homes of poor little Kobolds or Goblins and taking their stuff after killing their people and families. No, here it is about just the opposite. Here it is a group of Goblin, Kobold, and Dogbold adventurers going into a dungeon and finding (and eventually fighting) a HUMAN as the final, terrifying BBEG. I LOVE it. :smallbiggrin:

Any ideas here? I am drawing a bank, and have no idea what-so-ever where to even start with such an unusual dungeon and final BBEG.

All I know so far is that there is a hoard+ worth of priceless Human military weapons, and possibly even the diagrams on how to make the Human "artifacts" (aka Guns, ammo, tanks, etc) which alone would throw the balance of power on this world either in the direction of the Goblins or the Kobolds (although I am not sure Goblins would be able to use them?).

Please let me know what you think.

ps. What level should this NPC be, and what level encounter should I plan for/to build up the group for?

pss. Should he be the final BBEG for my firstg time running this homebrewed world (oh trust me, there will be more...).

While This may not be true for futuristic guns, making most modern guns and ammo is not that difficult. A bullet is just some bent metal and black powder. And a gun is just a metal tube with a tiny hammer. Most dungeon traps are more mechanically intricate and advanced than modern fire arms technology, and kobold are very good at making traps. Since it cant be that hard to make an alchemical equivalent to black powder it surprises me that eberron doesn't have guns.

I heard before about statistically getting a gun in africa is easier than getting food.

Artifact weapons should belong more in the death ray category.

Zexion
2010-03-14, 12:02 AM
Perhaps he is NOT the final BBEG: after he is defeated, another BBEG comes and takes all the weapons and technology in a trick.

For the human, though, perhaps the final battle is less "you swing your sword at him" and more "a small gun turret erupts out of the ground in front of you. DC 23 Ref save to dodge."

Right? He would have been planning for this situation for ages. Invisible walls, robotic appendages, etc., etc., etc.

DracoDei
2010-03-14, 12:19 AM
Gunsmithing isn't complicated so much as it is PRECISE I should think... also the metallurgy of the barrel is probably nothing to sneeze at...

Zexion
2010-03-14, 12:23 AM
A kobold making a gun = complete chaos until he gets it right (which should take about fifteen tries)
It would go something like this:

Smith: Okay, what do I have to make next?
Reldo the Apprentice: A... weapon that shoots metal spheres. It's called a... gun.
Smith: Huh. What a dull name. Okay, give me the diagrams.
Reldo the Apprentice: Yessir. See, you need to take special care-
Smith: Don't tell me what to do! It's easy, see!
BOOM!
(blood is leaking out of Reldo's body)
Reldo the Apprentice: Ow...
Smith: Well, it looks like I need a new apprentice. Johnny, come on up. Hold this part for me.
BOOM!
Smith: Oops.

...and so on.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-14, 12:26 AM
Gunsmithing isn't complicated so much as it is PRECISE I should think... also the metallurgy of the barrel is probably nothing to sneeze at...

This of corse is in the context of a world where naturally occurring extremely light/durable metals are more common place relative to IRL.

Zexion
2010-03-14, 12:35 AM
Yes. That is correct.