PDA

View Full Version : Knife Nut [3.5/Pathfinder]

AtopTheMountain
2010-03-14, 12:26 AM
I was thinking of character ideas, and I fell upon the classic concept of a knife fighter. I've never actually played one before, so I could use some help in building it. I'm thinking a dual-wielding meleer with light armor who can do decent damage and hits often, would be nice.

Things to consider:
Race: I'm thinking either Human or Halfling. Human gets a bonus feat and one ability score bonus (probably Dex), while Halfling gets an attack and AC bonus, as well as Dex and Cha.
Class: Either Fighter or Rogue, probably. Fighter gets bonus feats and high BAB, but Rogue gets Sneak Attack. Are there better options? Maybe a multiclass Rogue/Fighter could work?
Prestige Class?: Not sure yet if I even want to take one, but I believe there was a dagger-themed PrC in Complete Warrior. Invisible Blade looks pretty good, other than the requirements.
Feats: Weapon Finesse is a must. If I go Fighter, I'll probably do the Weapon Focus/Specialization feat tree.

arguskos
2010-03-14, 12:30 AM
Prestige classes: You NEED to take Invisible Blade, from Complete Warrior. It's exactly what you're looking for. For an average, mid-power, game, it's just perfect.

herrhauptmann
2010-03-14, 12:49 AM
Applies only to a 3.5 game (I haven't read pathfinder)
Strong heart halfling from FRCS. Bonus feat and boost to dex. :)

PrC: Invisible blade as stated.
There's another based around knife throwing...
If you decide you want some casting, daggerspell mage/shaper are there for you.

Eldrys
2010-03-14, 01:20 AM
There's another based around knife throwing...

Master Thrower (Complete Warrior)

gorfnab
2010-03-14, 02:51 AM
Applies only to a 3.5 game (I haven't read pathfinder)
Strong heart halfling from FRCS. Bonus feat and boost to dex. :)

Strongheart Halflings qualify for Whisperknife prestige class from Races of the Wild which has some uses with dagger throwing builds.

BobVosh
2010-03-14, 02:54 AM
Inquisitor is great for TWF/archery. Bane/Greater Bane of your choice, judgements, and a few other bonuses for damage. Also the way smite works now, it is also great for TWF/Archery. Paladin ends up being far more MAD though.

AtopTheMountain
2010-03-14, 11:26 AM
The problem with Invisible Blade is that I'll pretty much only be doing melee, and so I have to waste two feats on Point Blank Shot and Far Shot. Other than that, it looks really solid. I'm not really interested in throwing weapons.

I was looking at Daggerspell Mage and thought it seemed interesting, but I want just a straight-up knife fighter.

Actually, I'm still not even sure if my DM will let me use 3.5 material. Any suggestions for a Pathfinder-only game, just in case?

Oh yeah, and it happens to be set in Forgotten Realms. I'm pretty sure we can use that book.

Cicciograna
2010-03-14, 11:55 AM
I'd go with Swordsage focusing on Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand, with a sprinkle of Rogue for the Sneak Attack. Maybe wielding kukris.

Noodles2375
2010-03-14, 01:43 PM
Depending on whether you want to be built for sneakiness or head to head combat:

I would try something like straight warblade emphasis on diamond mind and tiger claw. Maybe a tiny iron heart dip to pick up Iron Heart Surge. There are so many cool dual wielding powers in the Tiger Claw school. Also, there is a bloodclaw master prestige class that you could slip into also. You'll lose some BAB and not get the ultimate ability of dual stances but it is something to consider.

AtopTheMountain
2010-03-14, 02:47 PM
Okay, so I just found out that the only 3.5 books allowed are the Forgotten Realms campaign setting books, and not even all of them. So I have a change of concept/plans: I'm going Paladin, with dual-wielded kukris. HUGE damage bonuses from Smite Evil, and I'll crit on a 15-20 when I start taking the Crit feats. It's kind of MAD, I know, since I need to build up Dex as well as Str, Con, and Cha, but I think it's worth it. Plus, I was originally going to do a Pally anyway when I thought of a knife fighter, so it's a bonus.

Harperfan7
2010-03-14, 03:08 PM
Two Weapon Fighting Halfling Pathfinder Rogue 20.

You'll have more than enough feats/combat tricks to cover it. Take the rogue special abilities that make your attacks better. By 20th you'll be able to do like 8-9 attacks per round, all with sneak attack and miscellaneous bonuses. If you use daggers, you can even throw them if necessary. At 20th, each one will have at least a 1 in 20 chance of killing any opponent who isn't immune to sneak attacks.