PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Magically making a fortress

Goonthegoof
2010-03-14, 12:53 AM
I'm was thinking of ways to make a permanent defendable home with magic, and thought stone wall/stone shape/passwall plus a few anti scrying spells would work, but it occured to me that everyone here can probably think of better ways. Anyone have any ideas?

Gaiyamato
2010-03-14, 12:56 AM
Stronghold Builders Guidebook has rules for using magic to make construction easier.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-14, 01:07 AM
The SBG is a nice start if you're paying someone to make a fortress, but, honestly, your best bet would be to pop stone and iron walls with Wall of Stone/Iron, Shrink Object the mass of materials before Fabricating them into the desired structure. Stone Shape would more than likely be used to secure the underground with Passwalls here and there for secret exits and the like.

As for anti-scrying, a Mindblank a day will keep the trouble away.

Gaiyamato
2010-03-14, 01:27 AM
There is more to making a nice stable structure than just making walls. They need to be able to stand up and take stress/load.

If I was a DM I'd require you to at least hire an architect to assist you and require frame work etc. to be built.
Also it is a little fuzzy to do it like that under RAW, where as with the Landlord feat and the SBG you can do it under RAW and get Free cash to do it as well. lol.

penbed400
2010-03-14, 02:23 AM
There is more to making a nice stable structure than just making walls. They need to be able to stand up and take stress/load.

If I was a DM I'd require you to at least hire an architect to assist you and require frame work etc. to be built.
Also it is a little fuzzy to do it like that under RAW, where as with the Landlord feat and the SBG you can do it under RAW and get Free cash to do it as well. lol.

A +30 item to Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering is pretty dang cheap :smallwink:

Deca
2010-03-14, 02:37 AM
How high level are you? If you're high enough, you could create a sizeable building with Fabricate alone.

As for defending it, there is a whole bunch of spells which could be put to this purpose. Casting Guards and Wards would probably be a good start.

Gaiyamato
2010-03-14, 05:19 AM
A +30 item to Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering is pretty dang cheap :smallwink:

A very good point...

Nero24200
2010-03-14, 05:44 AM
I beleive theres a high level spell in Frsotburn that allows you to magically make a castle. Though it'll be made of ice and even says it starts ot melt if in a warm climate so...

Jack_Simth
2010-03-14, 09:04 AM
I'm was thinking of ways to make a permanent defendable home with magic, and thought stone wall/stone shape/passwall plus a few anti scrying spells would work, but it occured to me that everyone here can probably think of better ways. Anyone have any ideas?
Let's see... are you playing a Wizard, a Cleric, a Sorcerer, or a druid? Given you're talking about Passwall, you're *probably* a Wizard, but I figured I ought to double check, as the methods are different.

I looked at this a bit in one of the first campaigns I DM'd. I had a Sorcerer BBEG who made his own dungeons - Disintegrate for digging into solid rock, Wall of Stone & Fabricate for making doors, Illusory Wall for making things look nice (and for your basic concealed pit traps, and for covering the enterance), and Planar Binding to stock the place with critters.

You can one up that, though, quite easily - add the Invisible Spell (Cityscape - makes the effect of the spell invisible), and Dimensional Jaunt (Complete Mage Reserve Feat - teleport a short distance, provided you have line of sight to the target, at will). Then proceed to make a couple of Invisible walls of stone in there, which you then cover (on both sides) with Illusory Walls. You can see through them, as you have proof it's an illusion (you cast it), but almost nobody else can. As you can see through it, you can teleport through it. Do the entire dungeon this way. And of course, Mind Blank for yourself.

ShellBullet
2010-03-14, 10:46 AM
More information would be nice.

Do you have to start from scratch or are there some building already? What kind of environment is it? Is it near any resources? Class, Levels, Wealth?
What kind of home? Tower, Keep Or a simple mansion?