PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Questions

Geiger Counter
2010-03-14, 02:54 AM
What houserules do you have about spells?
Especially those of the save of die variety.

Where can I find mechanics on torture and traveling by swinging from vines?
I prefer homebrew.

I remember a topic about eberron travel prices being too expensive.
Are they? What would you price them as?

magic9mushroom
2010-03-14, 03:32 AM
What houserules do you have about spells?
Especially those of the save of die variety.

Save or Die isn't the problem so much as Save or Lose.

Where can I find mechanics on torture

Book of Vile Darkness.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-14, 03:54 AM
if prices are high, you can always make the group strive to get in good with merchants to decrease sale prices

that, or just give them more gold

Curmudgeon
2010-03-14, 04:09 AM
These aren't house rules at all; they're strictly in keeping with the RAW. But they're useful.

Shatter's use of "solid" means "rigid, not flexible"; the chemical "neither liquid nor gas" is anachronistically modern.
The whole shapechanging mechanism (Alter Self and so on) requires that you know the type of the form you're adopting.
You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. So you must have made a successful Spot check to see, and the required Knowledge check to identify the type, of at least one such creature.
Wall of Force requires not a single speck of dust ("any object or creature") be in the way, so you can't form one in contact with a floor. (In D&D a water drop doesn't count as "any object", so you can cast the spell while it's raining.)
The Displacement spell and Cloaks of Displacement don't prevent sneak attack, because they don't provide actual concealment — though their miss chance might keep you from being hit at all.
Enlarge Person increases your equipment weight 8 times, with an effective increase in encumbrance exactly as if you stayed the same size and all your gear tripled in weight.
Freedom of Movement lets you move normally, which means through any hindrance that isn't an actual barrier; but the caster must bind a leather thong around the arm of the target, so you can't cast the spell with just a shield hand available.
Mind Blank doesn't protect against True Seeing, because True Seeing doesn't read emotions or thoughts.
Nondetection does have a chance to foil True Seeing and See Invisibility, because these are divination spells that detect, visually.
Telekinesis lets you use Violent Thrust to hurl weapons, but does not give you proficiency with these weapons, make melee weapons other than improvised for throwing, or change weapon range increments.
Darkness does create shadowy light in a previously pitch black area, despite the spell name making that seem odd.