View Full Version : pathfinder fighter help

Prax4788
2010-03-14, 04:20 AM
making myself a fighter in a pathfinder game

im stuck between three ideas
im level 6 fighter now

1 going paladin a bit to get my cha to saves cause my will is low
2 spell casting in to dragon desiple
3 become a pathfinder chronicler or shadow dancer or assassin ( a skill class)

any advice im not apposed to combind these ideas

in case it helps i use a 2 handed elven curve blade and where full plate

BobVosh
2010-03-14, 04:31 AM
What are your stats?

Prax4788
2010-03-14, 04:36 AM
str 18
dex 16 (18 with race elf)
con 18 (16)
int 18 (20)
wis 14
cha 14

this is not in game yet i can change around int and cha is needed

BobVosh
2010-03-14, 04:52 AM
Good lord, that is a point buy of 71. Nice dice, odd point buy, or the most awesome stat array for players ever.

If you place stats thus:
str 18
con 18 (16)
int 14 (16)
wis 14
cha 18

You could be a silly TWF paladin. AA or EK are also fine with those kind of stats. You can even play a mildly effective monk as you can fit with their MAD.

If you want to fight two-handed I would say fighter 7, Barbarian 13. Use mithral fullplate, move 40 feet in it. Dex allowed is 5, so you can even get a +2 dex item. Switch the cha and wisdom for this, for a decent will save.

Herbstfarben
2010-03-14, 04:56 AM
You need Int and Cha...
and you chose to be a fighter. Counterintuitive.
Int + Fighter nudges you towards Arcane Archer or Eldritch Knight.

Prax4788
2010-03-14, 05:00 AM
Good lord, that is a point buy of 71. Nice dice, odd point buy, or the most awesome stat array for players ever.

If you place stats thus:
str 18
con 18 (16)
int 14 (16)
wis 14
cha 18

You could be a silly TWF paladin. AA or EK are also fine with those kind of stats. You can even play a mildly effective monk as you can fit with their MAD.

If you want to fight two-handed I would say fighter 7, Barbarian 13. Use mithral fullplate, move 40 feet in it. Dex allowed is 5, so you can even get a +2 dex item. Switch the cha and wisdom for this, for a decent will save.

there another barbarian in the party and i dont want to step on his toes
i already got mr mythral fullplate its awsome

monk wouldnt be that usefull cause flurry of blows dosnt stack with anything not even base attack bonas

im was thinking of 2 paladin 1 sorrcer or bard (not shure) than rest dragon desiple

Hurlbut
2010-03-14, 12:49 PM
First we must do KISS for your character concept

What did you want out of the Dragon Disciple?
From what I can tell you want a martial caster.
If so, what do you want to use the spells primarily for? Attack or buffs?

PinkysBrain
2010-03-14, 01:31 PM
It's a bit late now to take a spellcasting progression gish class especially in pathfinder, where low level swift boost spells don't exist any more (without 3e splats). Lower level spellcasting is not very useful in Pathfinder for a melee character.

I'd ask your DM if he would let you play the Warmind. Dreamscarred press is going to publish Psionics Unleashed soon (you can pre-order the PDF for 10$) which is the official Pathfinder psionics adaption, there is already some alpha stuff out. Lower level psionic powers work a lot better with melee than low level spellcasting.

Hopefully Paizo doesn't make them nerf the psionic powers (I can hear the Paizo designers now "A non caster being able to pounce ... OMG OP!").

Prax4788
2010-03-15, 02:35 AM
First we must do KISS for your character concept

What did you want out of the Dragon Disciple?
From what I can tell you want a martial caster.
If so, what do you want to use the spells primarily for? Attack or buffs?

to tell u the truth the spells went my main concern

i only looked in to spellcaster for dragon desiple plus buffs would be nice
im looking in to a new flavor to my fighter cause he isn't the only one in the group

Person_Man
2010-03-15, 09:01 AM
What books are available? What ECL will this campaign reasonably be going up to?

Prax4788
2010-03-15, 08:23 PM
What books are available? What ECL will this campaign reasonably be going up to?

level 15 for shure

and we can pull feats from the complete books but only classes from pathfinder for now

PinkysBrain
2010-03-16, 06:02 AM
Well unless you are allowed to use psionics (as I said, you can download the alpha test for the pathfinder psionic classes right now) and take warmind levels I'd say your best bet is to build an uber charger based on Druid.

Dip Druid for 4 levels and take the following feats : leap attack, shock trooper, lion's pounce, extra wildshape.

Also buy a couple of druid vestments to get extra wildshape attempts for pouncing (obviously can only benefit from one per encounter, but still getting one pounce per encounter which doesn't come out of your daily uses is a great deal).

Prax4788
2010-03-16, 06:17 AM
Well unless you are allowed to use psionics (as I said, you can download the alpha test for the pathfinder psionic classes right now) and take warmind levels I'd say your best bet is to build an uber charger based on Druid.

Dip Druid for 4 levels and take the following feats : leap attack, shock trooper, lion's pounce, extra wildshape.

Also buy a couple of druid vestments to get extra wildshape attempts for pouncing (obviously can only benefit from one per encounter, but still getting one pounce per encounter which doesn't come out of your daily uses is a great deal).

i would like to point out shock trooper dosnt work like it used cause power attack got changed and i like the idea but i cant build a druid cause my last character was one and he just died

PinkysBrain
2010-03-16, 06:47 AM
You still get a penalty from power attack, so shock trooper should still be able to divert it to AC.

Any way, what about the psionic option?

To do significant damage at high levels as melee you need to be able to get off full attacks often (pathfinder players who think vital strike is good are so cute, they are the modern day 3e monk lovers). If not neither pounce, hustle or MiC items are available I'm quickly running out of ideas.

Could you use Races of Stone feats?

Grommen
2010-03-16, 10:39 AM
With that stat block. You don't suck at anything.

You taken a really close look at the Palidian? We have one with a very close ability scores and she is killing demons in solo combat several CR ahead of her level. Pretty annoying to the DM. Hardly ever fails a save with the cha bonus added to the saves as well as everything else. Looks like your leaning towards a high powered campaign and Palie's seem to be the best melee class. Your results may vary depending on your game of coarse, but if it comes down to fighting outsiders and true evils. Palidian be your man for the job.

Another option, though you have taken a bit too many fighter levels, is to move towards the Eldrich Knight class. You can take like 1 fighter level and caster levels and still qualify for all the kool fighter feats, and only be 2 caster levels behind a full caster. Sure I know you should be a full caster to be totally kool (roll eyes) but at least you made an attempt to be a melee guy :smallbiggrin: We have one of these in our group too, and he holds his own in a fight, and has a rediculas AC due to like Mage Armor or Shield or something like that.

Prax4788
2010-03-16, 02:54 PM
You still get a penalty from power attack, so shock trooper should still be able to divert it to AC.

Any way, what about the psionic option?

To do significant damage at high levels as melee you need to be able to get off full attacks often (pathfinder players who think vital strike is good are so cute, they are the modern day 3e monk lovers). If not neither pounce, hustle or MiC items are available I'm quickly running out of ideas.

Could you use Races of Stone feats?

yes i can use races of stone or any other race book i asked my dm

but rember im an elf and i can use any item i can afford so please explain what items would be good

PinkysBrain
2010-03-16, 10:04 PM
yes i can use races of stone or any other race book i asked my dm

but rember im an elf
That wouldn't have mattered ... I was going to suggest taking leadership and getting a large cohort with rock throwing and fling ally.

and i can use any item i can afford so please explain what items would be good
Belts of Battle and anklets of translocation, both from Magic Item Compendium. if you go Gish circlets of rapid casting are also great (makes gishing more realistic).

Also Blessed+Prismatic Burst are great enhancements for your curve blade (take improved critical).

Prax4788
2010-03-17, 03:33 AM
Also Blessed+Prismatic Burst are great enhancements for your curve blade (take improved critical).[/QUOTE]

sounds good its only keen tell i can take improved crit

i just got the final play test for advanced players handbook so i think i am going go try a fighter alchemist

if anyone knows where i can find the psionic play tests please help

PinkysBrain
2010-03-17, 09:46 AM
sounds good its only keen tell i can take improved crit
Keen doesn't work together with blessed (which auto-confirms criticals against evil) it can only work with the improved critical feat.

i just got the final play test for advanced players handbook so i think i am going go try a fighter alchemist
It will do very little for you, the abilities you get won't be level appropriate and they don't synergize. If you go gish you can use the circlet of rapid casting to cast spells swiftly in combat and still do what you do best (hit stuff). If you go alchemist trying to use your extracts in combat will generally be a waste of time, they are too far behind the curve to justify a standard action.

Inquisitor seems to be a lot better for you as far as class abilities go ... hell even summoner could do more for you (large eidolon with rock throwing and fling ally). They both have spellcasting which can work with the circlet of rapid casting.

Without synergy multiclassing is a trap.

if anyone knows where i can find the psionic play tests please help
http://dreamscarredpress.com/dragonfly/ForumsPro/viewforum/f=2.html