PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Create/Animate Undead - Unlisted Monsters

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-14, 06:11 AM
I'm going to be playing a cleric of Wee Jas in an upcoming game and will be commanding some undead minions. I know that the core lists for animate dead and create undead aren't exhaustive as there are some creatures like the Bloodhulk from MM IV that can be created via these spells. I'm looking for other useful abominations to add to my party's front (or back) line.

obnoxious
sig

Geiger Counter
2010-03-14, 06:25 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=undead

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-14, 06:53 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=undead

I'm looking for those undead creatures which are not listed under create undead or similar spells and state in their entries that they may be created through the use of cleric spells, like the Bloodhulk in MM IV mentions that it can be created with animate dead, not just a list of undead creatures.

obnoxious
sig

AslanCross
2010-03-14, 07:11 AM
Bonedrinkers and Lesser Bonedrinkers (MM3) can be created using Create Undead.

Yzzyx
2010-03-14, 08:35 AM
Monster Manual V has Blackwings, Bonespurs, Sanguineous Drinkers, Serpentirs, and Spectral Riders.

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-15, 02:35 AM
Thank you very much for your help! :smallsmile:

I was hoping that someone might post a link to a more-or-less exhaustive list of those additional creatures that may be created with animate dead, create undead, and create greater undead as I've been unable to find one so far.

I'll begin a list myself, then! Once I've a respectable number I'll post and maintain an updated list under the following format:

{table]Creature Name|Book/page|spells used|brief description[/table]

Feel free to contribute.

obnoxious
sig

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-15, 02:37 AM
{table]Name|Book and Page|Spells needed|Notes
Bone Creature|BoVD p184|create undead, create greater undead|skeletons that retain intellect and the abilities they had in life
Corpse Creature|BoVD p185|create undead, create greater undead|zombies that retain intellect and the abilities they had in life
Bonedrinker|MM3 p19|create undead CL15 and Knowledge(religion) 10|made from bugbears or hobgoblins. pounce, constitution drain
Bonedrinker, Lesser|MM3 p19|create undead CL12 and Knowledge(religion) 7|made from goblins. constitution drain
Necrosis Carnex|MM4||
Blackwing|MM5 5|unhallow and create undead CL 18|made from corpses of giant eagles
Bonespur|MM5 156|create undead CL8|requires six medium corpses. charges and explodes, reforming next round
Sanguinous Drinker|MM5 143|create undead CL15|greases the area with blood and drains constitution with every attack, healing in the process
Serpentir|MM5 158|create undead CL10|requires six medium corpses. acts as two creatures. improved grab followed by a constrict/swallow whole-like grapple
Spectral Rider|MM5 161|create grater undead CL12|created from the corpse of a mounted warrior of at least 6th level. Desecrates its area, permanent magic circle against good, can become incoporeal as an immediate action, unholy weapon, phantom steed at will[/table]

Books Fully Checked:
Book of Vile Darkness
Monster Manual III
Monster Manual V

Eurus
2010-03-15, 02:42 AM
There's a neat little undead doodad stitched together from a lot of corpses and held together with iron bands (it had a negative energy touch, if I remember right, so necromancers tended to create them as medics for their undead armies), and I know the book they were in had rules for creating them, but I can't remember which book it was or even the monster's name for the life of me. :smallfrown:

Oh, and Corpse and Bone Creatures (templates, technically) from the Book of Vile Darkness. Can be created with Create Undead spells. Not likely to get DM approval, though, since they don't suffer any penalties and keep all their class levels.

AslanCross
2010-03-15, 07:57 AM
There's a neat little undead doodad stitched together from a lot of corpses and held together with iron bands (it had a negative energy touch, if I remember right, so necromancers tended to create them as medics for their undead armies), and I know the book they were in had rules for creating them, but I can't remember which book it was or even the monster's name for the life of me. :smallfrown:

Necrosis Carnex, MMIV. Creepy-looking critter.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-15, 08:01 AM
Oh, and Corpse and Bone Creatures (templates, technically) from the Book of Vile Darkness. Can be created with Create Undead spells. Not likely to get DM approval, though, since they don't suffer any penalties and keep all their class levels.

I allowed them this way: the necromancer,to unlock the knowledges needed to animate CC and BC must complete a sort of quest (say, retrieve the book of a necromancer called Nagash, if you like quotes).

Irreverent Fool
2010-03-15, 11:14 PM
Updated the list a little. Going to be a busy week for me but I'll try to add at least a few more by the weekend.

obnoxious
sig

AslanCross
2010-03-16, 01:55 AM
Just checked MM4: The Necrosis Carnex can be made by an 11th level caster using Animate Dead, 3 Medium corpses, and cold iron bands worth 200 GP.
Animate Dead takes 10 minutes to cast when animating a Carnex.

Akal Saris
2010-03-16, 03:48 AM
Here's (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=181.0) a list that somebody already made for this. I'm not sure if it's missing anything, but it seems pretty complete.

Hope it helps!

Morrolan
2010-05-09, 03:20 AM
I made a table containing all (non- campaign specific) undead and a way of creating them all with my own homebrew prc. It's in my signature.