PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get more than 1 cohort?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-14, 06:34 AM
I'm looking for a way to get more than just 1 cohort with the Leadership feat. does anybody know of a way to do this? or is it not possible and I'm screwed?

Eldariel
2010-03-14, 07:21 AM
I'm looking for a way to get more than just 1 cohort with the Leadership feat. does anybody know of a way to do this? or is it not possible and I'm screwed?

You can gain cohorts from other sources, but not really the Leadership-feat itself. Well, "talk to DM" is a good possibility.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-14, 07:39 AM
Technically not Cohorts, but you can Dominate things you want to have as an ally. As long as you remember to redo the Dominate periodically.

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-14, 07:40 AM
Thrallherd? And with that you don't have to worry about those pesky "Loyalty" or "Causing the Death of A cohort" along with getting easy replacements.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-14, 07:42 AM
Thrallherd? And with that you don't have to worry about those pesky "Loyalty" or "Causing the Death of A cohort" along with getting easy replacements.

I love Thrallherd so much. Sulf replicating cannon fodder is amazing.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-14, 07:42 AM
Do hirelings, players and DMPCs count?
you could go gestalt and be a m thrallheard mindbender.

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-14, 08:15 AM
I'm curious as to how not being able to do the particular oddly specific (and cheesy) thing you want would make you "screwed".

Anyway, you could theoretically have your cohort take the Leadership feat and get another cohort (although a character 4 levels behind you might not be all that great). Or you could be a Thrallherd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/thrallherd.htm), as mentioned, if you're playing at a high level. For extra bonus cheese, combine both and have your two thralls both be Thrallherds. (Though by the class's fluff, you shouldn't really be able to choose your thralls, since they're just whoever's around that happens to be on your weird mind control frequency.)

Alternately, you could try to convince however many NPC lackeys of whatever description you want to do what you say in-character, instead of using a feat. If you can adjust someone's attitude to Helpful with the Diplomacy skill, that should suffice to make them an ally, if not a follower. But then they might not be treated as a cohort and might thus take XP away from the PCs, which would of course be bad if that was what you were trying to avoid. This part of the rules is pretty wonky... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7879613#post7879613)

Mystic Muse
2010-03-14, 03:52 PM
Well, I meant that my idea is screwed. I had an idea about a Dragonborn Paladin with a Tiefling, Revenge obsessed wizard and a Delusional, Giant hating Minotaur.

I on the other hand shall be just fine. Once I think of a good movie to watch.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-14, 04:04 PM
Well, I meant that my idea is screwed. I had an idea about a Dragonborn Paladin with a Tiefling, Revenge obsessed wizard and a Delusional, Giant hating Minotaur.

I on the other hand shall be just fine. Once I think of a good movie to watch.

The Matrix.

Myou
2010-03-14, 04:15 PM
Roleplay a high charisma score by persuading other adventurers to follow you. Totally RAW. :smallcool:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-14, 04:16 PM
The Matrix.

not exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Something without a dark setting preferably.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-14, 04:23 PM
not exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Something without a dark setting preferably.

Mulan? M films rock apparently.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-14, 04:37 PM
Mulan? M films rock apparently.

This actually sounds like a good idea!

now if only my sound were working.:smalltongue:

gorfnab
2010-03-14, 04:37 PM
Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat
Extra Followers (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Extra_Followers) feat

Not exactly what you're looking for but it may help.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-14, 04:57 PM
Could I use Wild Cohort on my Paladin mount since it's technically an animal?

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-15, 01:02 PM
Paladin mounts are treated as magical beasts, though they still get Animal hit dice. Furthermore, the rules for things like animal companions, paladin mounts, familiars, wild cohorts, etc. all contain language like "Use the base statistics for a creature of the ________'s kind, but make the following changes". So you can't just obtain a modified version of one of the available creatures for such a class feature or feat at no cost. You have to take a penalty to your effective level or take the Improved Familiar feat or whatever to get a better creature. Of course, like your character, you can do various things to improve it once you have it (although awaken is explicitly out).

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-15, 01:16 PM
Technically not Cohorts, but you can Dominate things you want to have as an ally. As long as you remember to redo the Dominate periodically.

Having played a Telepath psion my big fear about keeping dominated allies around was I'm in big battle, and one of the enemy casters dispels my domination or uses a simple protection from alignment.

Barbarian MD
2010-03-15, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a feat. I was in a PbP game one time with two guys who had two cohorts (one actually had three cohorts). If I remember correctly, it's got some heavy pre-reqs and a huge feat investment, but it's there. I'll go check crystalkeep.

Nope, crystal keep doesn't have it. I have no idea where it's from. I don't have access to their sheets anymore.

Lysander
2010-03-15, 04:38 PM
What about controlling unintelligent undead with class levels? Necropolitan cohort perhaps?

Nohwl
2010-03-15, 05:04 PM
what about undead leadership?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-15, 05:08 PM
what about undead leadership?

Isn't there a condition that you can't have undead leadership AND the normal one?

Eldariel
2010-03-15, 05:12 PM
Now that I think about it...you do get Followers. If you ramp up your Leadership score enough, they may be of high enough level to be equivalent to your Cohort, at least early on (though you need to ramp it well into 50s by level 20 to keep it that way). It may be your best bet though; pick your few highest level cohorts for the other "roles".

Danin
2010-03-15, 05:35 PM
Undead leadership only applies a -4 penalty on your leadership score for your living follower which is easily negated by being really nice to them (Compassionate), wearing a distinctive item (Who doesn't own a favorite cloak?) and having some really sweet diggs (Stronghold). Besides, what undead owning master of darkness doesn't have a few necromantic cultists running about?

You and your cohorts can also take the improved cohort feat (HoB) in order to minimize the level gap.

Also, nothing really prevents you from taking undead leadership and thrallheard.

The Legendary Leader prestige class from Heros of Battle is decent for buffing your followers, getting extra ones and justifying more cohorts from a role playing perspective.

AshenPlanet
2010-03-15, 06:20 PM
The hathran prestige class provides a second cohort at hathran 4.
There is also a rogue feat called guildmaster or something like that which allows a second cohort at 12th level.

tahu88810
2010-03-15, 06:23 PM

The Thrallherd PrC specifically states it does not work alongside Leadership. The OP seems to want more than one cohort at the same time, as opposed to renewable cohorts.

So while Thrallherd is one of my most favourite psionic Prestige Classes of all time, it isn't the correct answer to the question posed.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-15, 06:24 PM
The Thrallherd PrC specifically states it does not work alongside Leadership. The OP seems to want more than one cohort at the same time, as opposed to renewable cohorts.

So while Thrallherd is one of my most favourite psionic Prestige Classes of all time, it isn't the correct answer to the question posed.

They get a second one at Level 10.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-15, 06:24 PM
The hathran prestige class provides a second cohort at hathran 4.
There is also a rogue feat called guildmaster or something like that which allows a second cohort at 12th level.

What are Hathran and guild master from?

also, I've already gone to Paladin 8 so thrallherd isn't an extremely useful PRC.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-15, 06:27 PM
Leadership and Undead Leadership can both be taken together (I think. Need to double check Libris Mortis). It id definitely the case that RAW thrallherd and Undead Leadership can both be taken together. (Neither UL or Thrallherd mentions the other. Thrallherd just mentions leadership).

Gadora
2010-03-15, 09:45 PM
Could I use Wild Cohort on my Paladin mount since it's technically an animal?

If you look at page 200 of the DMG, you should see a short entry entitled "Paladin Cohort Mounts." I don't know how well this plays with wild cohort, but it could open up some interesting options for you.

AbyssKnight
2010-03-15, 10:37 PM
Hathran, the most recent version, is Player's Guide to Faerun. It only gets a bonus to Leadership score, and only if your cohort is male barbarian or female spellcaster from the same region (Rashemen).

The older version of Hathran, from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, got a bonus cohort at 1st level of the PrC. The bonus cohort has to be a male barbarian or female spellcaster from the same region (Rashemen).

A quick look at the WotC PrC index doesn't show any Guild Master PrC.

AshenPlanet
2010-03-17, 03:56 PM
Hathran is in unapproachable east, and gives a 2nd cohort at hathran 4th which is usually around 11th character level.
This 2nd cohort must be either a female caster or a barbarian of either sex.
Note: caster means either arcane or divine, so I'd guess no psionics or invokations.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-17, 04:01 PM
Hathran is in unapproachable east, and gives a 2nd cohort at hathran 4th which is usually around 11th character level.
This 2nd cohort must be either a female caster or a barbarian of either sex.
Note: caster means either arcane or divine, so I'd guess no psionics or invokations.

So, I can get either a Female Tiefling wizard or a Male Barbarian Minotaur.

That's what I was going for anyway.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

EDIT: I can't find Hathran. which page is it on?