PDA

View Full Version : Review my Cleric's Combat Strategy

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-14, 07:38 AM
I'm running this cleric as a DM boss encounter for 6 4th level PCs. The cleric is 32pb the players were rolled and average about that many points

8th level cleric
STR 16 DEX 12 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 16 CHA 10
AC 18 (Cast extended magic vestment on his masterwork chainmail)
One of his items is a flaming augment Crystal that's been altered to have charges and a limited duration (1 minute), but deal 1d8 points of damage instead,
He has Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus (Abjuration), Extend Spell, and Still Spell.

Tactics
Before Combat: Cast Extended Magic Vestiment when he wakes up each morning.
Round 1: Cast Extended Stilled Sanctuary.
Round 2: Apply augment crystal.
Round 3: If Sanctuary has not been broken, cast Shield of Faith, Else cast Divine Power
Round 4: If Sanctuary has not been broken, cast Divine Favor, Else Attack until divine power runs out.
Round 5: If Sanctuary has not been broken, cast Divine Power
Round 6: If Sanctuary has not been broken, Break sanctuary with Order's Wrath (Quite a few chaotic PCs), then melee anyone stunned.

When divine power runs out, Cast blindness on Rogue or Ranger, then retreat to the church. He will then attempt to cast shatter on on the party member's weapon who did the most damage, Most likely the Psychic Warrior's Crystal Greatsword. Lastly, he'll Summon Monster III In an attempt to escape taking the retreat action the rest of the way out, but if confronted, he will fight to the death, hoping that he had done enough damage to finish them off.

Well? Critiques anyone?

Eldariel
2010-03-14, 08:02 AM
Hm, that's a lot of rounds spent not doing anything. Consider:
- Circlet of Rapid Casting
- Quicken level 1-2 buffs with it
- SoX effects; Silence is particularly good as a way to shut down casters (area effect has no save to boot), Cause Fears and Commands hit warrior types hard, etc.
- Magic Vestment on a Shield too; oh, and use shield with that "low" Str

PinkysBrain
2010-03-14, 08:27 AM
How about a silent (through metamagic rod) stilled meld into stown instead of the sanctuary? It's a lot safer. (Stilled&silent so the PCs don't know what happened, no V/S components no spellcraft check.) Maybe use the trickery domain so he can walk out invisible and sneak up on the PCs.

The chance of getting him fully buffed before melee combat (which seems to be what you want) will be greater this way than with sanctuary.

Runestar
2010-03-14, 08:38 AM
Would it be too boring for the party while they wait for the cleric to be done with his power-up suite?

I was thinking maybe weaken him a little (lv5-7), give him 2 tanks (say 2 human fighters or hell-hounds), maybe just spend the 1st round buffing (say divine power + quickened divine favour), then wade into battle. You have AoE buffs with spells like prayer, support with shield other and debuffs with hold person or sound burst.

You definitely want more npcs to avoid a 6-on-1 orgy.

Also, why chainmail when you can go full plate? Don't want his AC to be too high? Why not just use fullplate and forget about magic vestments then?

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-14, 09:01 AM
Also, why chainmail when you can go full plate? Don't want his AC to be too high? Why not just use fullplate and forget about magic vestments then?
Well, it's mostly a flavor thing...A Heirophant of a city wouldn't exactly be awaiting an execution wearing full plate, his formal chainmail would be much more appropriate. He's not Loghain Mac Tir, Though he's still armed because of his insane paranoia.

No casters other than the psychic warrior so no need for silence.

Another problem I'm facing is a party that's already well over WBL'd, So are there any items with charges that would do similar to what you're asking. Also, he does have a shield...

Mushroom Ninja
2010-03-14, 12:51 PM
DMM (persist) would cut down on the boring buff rounds...

Glimbur
2010-03-14, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't count on Sanctuary stopping the PC's. It's only a first level spell, so it's probably about a DC 14 or 15 will save. Fourth level PC's will have will saves between -1 (rogue with low wis) and +6 (cleric or druid), assuming minimal optimization. There are six of them. At least one or two are likely to be able to ignore Sanctuary and just keep stabbing him as he tries to buff, which means he can either fight back and break Sanctuary, or keep buffing and die.

I'd cast Divine Power in round one, then melee. Or just start bashing heads. For example, applying the weapon augment crystal is certainly not worth a round of actions. It's maybe worth a move action, since an 8th level cleric just got his first iterative attack and if it's unlikely to hit he could instead put on the crystal.

I wouldn't expect combat to last until Divine Power runs out, and the cleric is probably going to die. 6 on one is just brutal.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-03-14, 01:09 PM
When divine power runs out, Cast blindness on Rogue or Ranger, then retreat to the church. He will then attempt to cast shatter on on the party member's weapon who did the most damage, Most likely the Psychic Warrior's Crystal Greatsword. Lastly, he'll Summon Monster III In an attempt to escape taking the retreat action the rest of the way out, but if confronted, he will fight to the death, hoping that he had done enough damage to finish them off.

Debuff before you hit them. That way it's easier to do damage. Also, the earlier you summon allies, the more they can affect the combat.

Pluto
2010-03-14, 02:42 PM
He'll be dead before he can do anything.

Add some monsters/mooks to threaten the PC's in an immediate sense while this guy does his silly buffing thing.

Otherwise the party will just tear this guy to pieces.

Teron
2010-03-14, 03:30 PM
Is there any particular reason sanctuary is stilled? If nothing else, you could heighten it instead to increase the DC.

ericgrau
2010-03-14, 03:53 PM
On round 6 of the average combat the combat is over and you haven't done anything. Even spending one round would be a waste, just about enough to let you break even in effectiveness. Stick to morning buffs, pre-combat buffs and quicken, while spending every single actual combat round on taking swings. For that matter you're a decent enough tank meaning sanctuary actually works against you. And if someone burns a standard action readying an action to disrupt one of your quickened spells, it's really their loss.

EDIT: Oh, you're a boss. Still applies since you have mooks. The PCs will make some of their will saves, and you'll still be screwed by about half the attacks before they drop the sanctuary... probably with a dispel magic that also hurts your buffs. And quicken and morning buffs still don't hurt.

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-14, 07:19 PM
I guess I should mention that none of the PCs are Casters unless you count the ranger, so dispel magic won't be an issue. Not that the group isn't particularly "Spellcaster savy" We did have a wizard but he left for personal reasons and he was an evoker with abjuration and necromancy barred.

I think I'll add two animated object statues in the room to distract while he's buffing.

The still spell is for dramatic effect rather than anything else. I like to remain cinematic.