PDA

View Full Version : oh god I can't choose

shadow_archmagi
2010-03-14, 11:59 AM
Friend has decided he wants to start a new campaign where magic is outlawed and we hunt mages. This is the group where there is only 1 DM and 2 players, but the two players are gestalt.

I cannot decide on a class.

Swordsage? Swordsages are always fun

Artificer? I do love me some artificer

Psionic Warrior? Those are nifty!

Psion? Also nifty!

Spellthief Rogue? I may never get another chance to play this class!

I just have no idea what to pick.

Octopus Jack
2010-03-14, 12:35 PM
Remember that it is quite hard to fight casters with no magic of your own, so psion seems like a good choice, but ultimatly its whatever you like the playstyle of and what kind of character you want to build

Xallace
2010-03-14, 12:37 PM
Psion // Artificer going into Djinn's Psychokinetic Wright (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141948).

shadow_archmagi
2010-03-14, 02:08 PM
Psion // Artificer going into Djinn's Psychokinetic Wright (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141948).

ooh tempting tempting

I was also thinking a Warblade/Artificer. Craft my own stuff, then hit people with it.

Good synergy because +skill items are pretty cheap to craft and almost all the ToB stuff can benefit from +skill

The Glyphstone
2010-03-14, 02:11 PM
Psychic Warrior. Load up on the Mageslayer feats, and remember that transparency doesn't apply to feats by default. Get a reach weapon, learn expansion, be every mage's worst nightmare if you can get them in range.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-14, 02:17 PM
Spellthief, simply because you'll never have a campaign where it'll be better.

And that leaves the other half of your build for Psion, Swordsage or 'Ficer.

Jastermereel
2010-03-14, 02:29 PM
What race are you thinking of? I don't know how well it plays, but Tome of Magic's Karsite might be interesting.

Given, they've got a +2 LA (but in a focused and small gestalt game it could work), but they have natural spell resistance, are healed by the magic they resist, their attacks suppress magic items, DR 5/magic, +2 Cha/Con AND most of the standard human bonuses.

So yeah, while LA generally isn't worth it, this might be good for the theme.

Pluto
2010-03-14, 03:12 PM
Spellthief Rogue? I may never get another chance to play this class!
I'd do that. Cookie-cutter powerhouse characters are passé.