PDA

View Full Version : Help Creating a New System (Recruiting Help)

Malfunctioned
2010-03-14, 01:11 PM
Hrmm, how can I sum this up easily? Well me and my fellow GiTPer Nameless have for about a year been creating a storyline following on from the arrival of the biblical Armageddon. Choirs of Celestials and Hordes of Infernals have descended upon the world, both attempting to send it to its complete destruction, the only things standing in their way are humans and they will fall like flies, that is until 2020. That year the first Locker is born with their trademark purple hair and gaunt frame. Lockers are in most ways indentical to humans aside from their hair, the only true difference is their 'Verses' supernatural abilities that link in some way to passages from the bible, for instance a Locker could have a Verse that allowed them to create intensely damaging blasts of sound that links to the fall of Jericho.

More and more Lockers were discovered and their powers became more and more varied, several factions were created, the three main groups being The Locker Army who seek to save and protect mortals and eventually send the Infernals and Celestials back to their own worlds, The Nihilists who are simply waging an all-out war against any who seek to oppose them in their goal of destroying all out-worlders and the Order of The Sun, a group of Lockers with powers that relate to the sun and have taken it on themselves to control everyone and everything in the ruins of this world.

Along with the Lockers there exist two other sides that fighting against the unearthly forces. The Fallen, celestials who have seen the error of their ways and left the hive-mind of heaven and joint the mortals and The Risen, infernals who have cast of the chains of command from the great pit and decided to combat the forces attacking Earth. Both Fallen and Risen are spawned from wells and pits that are filled with the essences of either one of the seven Virtues or seven deadly Sins respectively that give them abilities unique to that essence.

Well that's it really, I just need suggestions for help with building a system that can be used for these rules. Unfortunately I have to leave at the moment but I should be around later to fill in more information and suggestions. Hopefully someone here is good at system-building but I would greatly appreciate any help given. :smallbiggrin:

Malfunctioned
2010-03-14, 04:47 PM
What I have so far for the system is the rolling for 8 separate abilities on 2d10.

Strength - The characters sheer physical strength.
Reflexes - Quickness of reflexes and ability to dodge.
Insight - Wit and thinking under pressure as well as common sense.
Toughness - Resistance to damage and the characters pain threshold.
Character - Force of personality, attractiveness and self-confidence.
Health - Resistance to poison, disease and environmental conditions.
Education - A characters learnt knowledge rather then common sense.
Moral (For Lockers) How closely the Locker will stick to their own moral code.
Vice (For Risen) How closely the Risen opposes or enforces (players choice) the vice of their pit.
Virtue (For Fallen) How closely the Fallen opposes or enforces (players choice) the virtue of their well.

A stat of 10 is average, for every 1 point above 10 you add a +1 modifier to rolls involving that stat.

The second idea that I had would follow the same basic mechanics but instead of using dice you would use a deck of cards. Drawing a red suit would mean you add 10 to whatever number it was that you drew, drawing black would keep the number as it was. If you draw a picture card then you add an amount depending on what card it was.

King: +3
Queen: +2
Jack: +1

Otherwise the method would be exactly the same.

Any advice? Comments?

Creed
2010-03-14, 05:28 PM
one thing first: this may become a huge hit, this is a great idea

On the deck mechanic:
the deck would make the whole dice mechanic kind of vanish, but then it turns the game into the card game War with a little RPing. I suggest a custom deck systym, where black cards have some kind of negative effect on the enemy, and reds are positive. I also suggest that suits and numbers are devided, along with color in to basic categories of "Spells" that are the basis of the game. For eample:

Hearts: Healing
Diamonds: Protection (Buffs)
Spades: Curses (Vulnerability debuffs)
Clubs:Damage

each number will also have a different effect, such as a 5 of clubs does 10 fire damage, while a 7 of clubs does ten frost damage. The players then start out with a standard deck, but they can trade or buy new cards and augment their deck, so long as it is still 52 cards

hope this helps