PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/Pathfinder] Why is Quickdraw only usable with weapons?

harpy
2010-03-14, 01:52 PM
This is one of my pet peeves with 3.0 onward, only finally fixed in 4e when you can finally quick draw and object that is readily available.

I've just never understood why it the feat was so restrictive in only focusing on weapons, making it only useful in very specialized builds rather than a good general feat that would be helpful to anyone.

I guess what irks me is that I don't understand the intent behind the design of the feat, and why it stayed that way in 3.5 and then in Pathfinder.

Gametime
2010-03-14, 02:00 PM
Because weapons are specifically designed to be readily available and easily fetched, whereas other objects tend not to be created with this utility in mind?

The Glyphstone
2010-03-14, 02:02 PM
The counterpoint to that is, why would you need a feat to get at your weapon, if they're designed to be easily accessible?

i always houseruled that anything you had to draw as a move-equivalent action was Quickdrawable, so it wasn't a problem.

Gametime
2010-03-14, 02:04 PM
Because training to swiftly draw a weapon is a very different thing from training to swiftly draw any other mundane object?

I think the feat's implementation is pretty lame, anyway. The 4e incarnation makes a lot more sense.

Cieyrin
2010-03-14, 02:22 PM
The bigger issue I have is that you can't Quick Sheathe, even with Quick Draw. How can I abuse Iaijutsu Focus if I can't pull and put away my sword 4 times in 6 seconds? :smalltongue:

deuxhero
2010-03-14, 02:24 PM
Anything can be an improvised weapon, thus anything can be quick drawen (drew?).

Touchy
2010-03-14, 03:21 PM
Anything can be an improvised weapon, thus anything can be quick drawen (drew?).

If anything is an improvised weapon, would a sword count as an improvised weapon.
Not that this is on-topic or anything.

Kylarra
2010-03-14, 03:24 PM
If anything is an improvised weapon, would a sword count as an improvised weapon.
Not that this is on-topic or anything.It could be if you were holding the blade or smashing with the pommel. :smalltongue: Note that under the majority of circumstances, this is less than optimal compared to just hitting with it.

Swordgleam
2010-03-14, 03:29 PM
It could be if you were holding the blade or smashing with the pommel. :smalltongue: Note that under the majority of circumstances, this is less than optimal compared to just hitting with it.

That would be a cool interpretation of Cleave - cut someone down with your blade, then turn and smash the guy next to him in the face with your pommel.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-14, 03:31 PM

I actually use this to expand the use I allow, as a DM, of quickdraw :smallsmile:

harpy
2010-03-14, 03:52 PM
I guess I can see the legalistic loopdiloop being done by RAW to get it so you can pull out any object. I guess it's just an unfortunate move that needs to be made, when the wording could have simply been "object" rather than "weapon" originally, or in one of the revisions.

ericgrau
2010-03-14, 04:27 PM
It's not only usable with weapons. The draw action may specifically be used with weapon-like objects, with wands being given as the specific example.

As for anything without a handle, I just can't imagine a cowbow doing it in an instant so I don't think a PC could either. But maybe if you tied sticks to your alchemist fires and so on.

Greenish
2010-03-14, 04:34 PM
The bigger issue I have is that you can't Quick Sheathe, even with Quick Draw. How can I abuse Iaijutsu Focus if I can't pull and put away my sword 4 times in 6 seconds? :smalltongue:Doubtlessly that is a rhetorical question, but I'll bite: Gnomish Quickrazor.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-14, 04:50 PM
As for anything without a handle, I just can't imagine a cowbow doing it in an instant so I don't think a PC could either. But maybe if you tied sticks to your alchemist fires and so on.
If I can quickdraw multiple greatswords for a full attack with thrown weapons (throw anything feat) then I think alchemist fires shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Frosty
2010-03-14, 05:08 PM
Are chickens quick-drawable? Do they count as weapon-like?

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-14, 05:36 PM
Are chickens quick-drawable? Do they count as weapon-like?Hen-grenades.

They're even splash-weapons, if you throw hard enough. :smallamused:

OracleofWuffing
2010-03-14, 06:54 PM
Well, um... Signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131635)?

Anyhow, that probably explains some reasoning (likely not the reasoning) behind the feat design: things that let you do things as free actions can possibly lead to very shady rules interpretations and abuse of said interpretations. And pretty soon we'll slide into "Fighters can't have nice things" territory from there.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-03-14, 07:55 PM
Who needs to draw weapons anyways? All the cool people replace them with their hands every morning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm).

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-15, 09:04 PM
"Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#draworSheatheaWeapon)

Pulling out an easily accessible item, be it a weapon or not, is normally a move action. The Quick Draw feat changes this act to a free action. Yes, the feat description says "draw a weapon", but drawing out something else falls under the "Draw or Sheathe a Weapon" action. Yes, this could have been made more clear.