PDA

View Full Version : What Will Happen to V when the party finds out?

waterpenguin43
2010-03-14, 03:09 PM
about the whole soul splice incident, I mean. And also, how do you think they will?

My speculations:

They will get into a fight with their evil opposites in the Linear Guild, and Sabine will tell Haley. She won't believe it, but then V says it's true.
-Haley might estranged from V.
-Roy might be shocked, and either grateful as for the sacrifice V made to bring him back or repulsed. Possibly both.
-Durkon (if alive) will be mad at V (He's a cleric, and he might be mad that (s)he dealt with Thors foes.
-Elan might absolutely, completely give up on any remaining friendship with V.
-Belkar (if alive) will be impressed.

onthetown
2010-03-14, 03:10 PM
I seem to remember Belkar welcoming V to the "deep end of the alignment pool" or something, so he'll definitely approve.

The others, who knows? Haley has been friends with V for a long time, so it would be conflicting. If she cares.

Cealocanth
2010-03-14, 03:27 PM
I agree on the reaction, but I have annother way that it could be discovered.

In the center of Girard's dungeon, V has his soul pulled in a dramatic flashy darkness kind of way in front of everyone. The body collapses, (belkar may move over to check it) and the whole witnesses the destruction that V is forced to unleash through his/her eyes. Then everyone is devastated.

Ladorak
2010-03-14, 03:42 PM
I think, mainly for plot reasons, that the rest of the group isn't going to find out about it until the Fiends actually collect on their timeshare.

And being that they are immortal and very clever, it's safe to assume they won't do this until the moment of greatest advantage. I assume this will be once V is in position to take and hold a Gate, although since they're motives are still unclear this is far from certain.

veti
2010-03-14, 03:54 PM
I think, mainly for plot reasons, that the rest of the group isn't going to find out about it until the Fiends actually collect on their timeshare.

And being that they are immortal and very clever, it's safe to assume they won't do this until the moment of greatest advantage. I assume this will be once V is in position to take and hold a Gate, although since they're motives are still unclear this is far from certain.

I agree, but I wonder where we get the idea that the IFCC are "very clever"? So far the only thing we've seen them do that definitely qualifies as intelligent is getting Tiamat off the phone, and that involved making a promise that, if I were Tiamat, would make me think that maybe they were getting a bit above themselves.

The soul splice may have been clever, but really we need to know a lot more about their motives and their plan before we can be sure.

ChowGuy
2010-03-14, 04:24 PM
Roy will be upset, but mostly take the oppurtunity (assuming he gets it) to lecture V for "having such a high Int and yet being so stupid."

Haley being "good-ish" will be shocked at first, but ultimately being both a pragmatist and someone who's desperately but secretly more concerned about her father then anything else the world will accept V's position that it was "to save my family" and let it go at that.

Elan will totally miss the point, while Belkar will be pissed that V didn't deserve it and one offered him such a deal.

Durkon? Meh, who cares.

hamishspence
2010-03-14, 04:28 PM
Elan will totally miss the point, while Belkar will be pissed that V didn't deserve it and one offered him such a deal.

Elan was entirely aware that V was beginning to spiral out of control here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0596.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0597.html

And here, he's reached the point of thinking that V leaving is "probably for the best"

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0599.html

So I suspect he won't have that much trouble grasping the implication's of V's deal with the fiends.

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-14, 04:47 PM
Belkar would probably pretend to scold V while secretly applauding him/her.

factotum
2010-03-15, 02:04 AM
Sabine doesn't know V got spliced, as far as we know, and unless it's in the IFCC's interest to tell her, she's not going to find out.

Most likely they won't find out until the IFCC cash in their option on V's soul, because it's likely that's going to happen at a point where they can make good use of it...

Beowulf DW
2010-03-15, 10:22 PM
I'd imagine that Elan and Durkon will feel partially responsible for V's actions.

Elan didn't try to stop V from leaving, and Durkon admitted that maybe he should have helped V instead of scolding him/her. If Durkon learns of V's actions, he may think that if he had helped V, maybe V wouldn't have gotten so frustrated in the first place.

After that, I'd guess that Durkon would help V atone for his sins, being a cleric and all.

P.S. Yes, I believe that V can atone. Even if V doesn't make full reparations, if s/he's killed trying (or spends the rest of his/her natural life trying) s/he will certainly succeed. S/he knows now that what s/he did was wrong, which is the first and most important step.

Graymayre
2010-03-15, 10:34 PM
Assuming that V tells them that he had done it to save his lover and children? I doubt the fallout would be too tremendous. This was not a soul damning incident because V's soul was not sold.

V lives in a world where, regardless of the god/s worshipped, if you are good you go up. If you are bad you go down. As long as V retains a "good alignment" she will see heaven.

Morthis
2010-03-15, 11:25 PM
about the whole soul splice incident, I mean. And also, how do you think they will?

My speculations:

They will get into a fight with their evil opposites in the Linear Guild, and Sabine will tell Haley. She won't believe it, but then V says it's true.
-Haley might estranged from V.
-Roy might be shocked, and either grateful as for the sacrifice V made to bring him back or repulsed. Possibly both.
-Durkon (if alive) will be mad at V (He's a cleric, and he might be mad that (s)he dealt with Thors foes.
-Elan might absolutely, completely give up on any remaining friendship with V.
-Belkar (if alive) will be impressed.

Haley has plenty gray moments as well, especially killing Crystal. I highly doubt she would estrange V over this.

I don't think anyone but maybe Durkon would have some sort of extreme reaction. They were all part of the original problem, killing the young black dragon. I think most of them would recognize V did what was needed to save his family.

Now familicide, that's another matter. With that one, I could definitely see much harsher reactions.

Nimrod's Son
2010-03-16, 12:07 AM
Haley has plenty gray moments as well, especially killing Crystal.
There's a scene in DStP (that was omitted from the online strip for pacing reasons) that cuts Haley a LOT of slack on that one.

Deca
2010-03-16, 12:14 AM
Their reactions depend on whether they just know he Soul Spliced or if they know about the Familicide Incident.

Herald Alberich
2010-03-16, 01:18 AM
V lives in a world where, regardless of the god/s worshipped, if you are good you go up. If you are bad you go down. As long as V retains a "good alignment" she will see heaven.

And if you're Neutral, you go ... sideways. Don't forget that that's an option too, one I think is more likely for V than straight-up Goodness.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-17, 09:54 AM
I believe it all depeands on how they find out.

If they find out during down time, I can see them shouting "Gather up, guys! Time for a side-quest! We have to save our friends soul!"

If they find out in the middle of capturing a Gate & fail because the Fiends take control of V, they will be VERY unforgiving. :smallfurious: