PDA

View Full Version : Persisting Invisibility and Freedom of Movement

Deathpsyker
2010-03-14, 03:42 PM
I am a cleric with DMM persistent spell, and access to the trickery domain, and I was wondering if I could persist invisibility? What about freedom of movement?

My DM isn't worried about game balance. He just wants to know if this is legal rules as written.

Ranos
2010-03-14, 03:44 PM
Yes, but invisibility will still discharge the moment you attack a guy. Greater invisibility has no such problems though.

And you've presumably got access to 4th level spells. At this point, being permanently invisible isn't that big a deal for game balance. Don't worry about it.

Mephisoth
2010-03-14, 03:47 PM
My confusion stems from the phrase in Persistent Spell which states that you cannot persist spells which can be discharged, I would argue that Invisibility cannot be Persisted, as it is discharged when you attack a creature.

Ranos
2010-03-14, 03:55 PM
Well, you do have a point but while invisibility can end under certain conditions it doesn't actually discharge per RAW. If it did, it would be indicated in the Duration entry.

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-14, 04:00 PM
Well, you do have a point but while invisibility can end under certain conditions it doesn't actually discharge per RAW. If it did, it would be indicated in the Duration entry.

Actually, wouldn't that be dismissable instead of discharged? True Strike discharges when you make the first attack, so it's not a legal spell for Persistent Spell. Invisibility discharges with the first attack, so it's the same. Greater Invisibility, though, is fair game and actually encouraged.

Persistent Spell's wording says "discharged" (as in, it can be ended abruptly to gain the effect or ends abruptly when you do something or suffer from a condition) instead of "dismissable" (when you end the spell by making a dismiss action).

Felyndiira
2010-03-14, 04:17 PM
If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear.

SRD doesn't say the spell is "discharged," only that it "ends" on attack. Therefore, it's definitely fair game.

Also, if you can cast sixth-level spells with the Trickery domain, you can always opt to persist mislead to get an equivalent greater invisibility.

Ranos
2010-03-14, 04:20 PM
True strike's duration is see text, and the text does say it discharges, so I guess this one is more ambiguous. But otherwise,"discharged" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#discharge) is a specific raw term that is indicated under duration. See here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEnergy.htm) for an example.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-14, 04:52 PM
I am a cleric with DMM persistent spell, and access to the trickery domain, and I was wondering if I could persist invisibility? What about freedom of movement?

My DM isn't worried about game balance. He just wants to know if this is legal rules as written.

Potentially. The big question needed to be addressed before you can say yes or no is "does a range of 'touch' count as a fixed range?"

If yes, then yes. If no, then you're going to need to add a few tricks to make the range fixed. But ultimately, yes, you can.

Oh, and Deja vu.