PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea - What would a BBEG do with the Technodrome?

Randel
2010-03-14, 04:47 PM
Okay, I just recently watched Turtles Forever (a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover movie where the 80's series turtles meet the ones from the 2003 series) and I really like the Technodrome that 80's Shredder has.

It basic features (as far as I can tell) are this:

1. Its a mobile fortress - Its a about the size of a large building and has treads that let it move around. It can also dig underground, go underwater, and even go into outer space if given enough power and the right equipment.

2. Its virtually indestructible - While its insides can get damaged, its outer hull is apparantly really tough.

3. Unlimited robot army manufacturing - 80's Shredder used robotic Foot Soldiers and apparently could manufacture a near-unlimited number of them as needed (though in the movie, they had horrible aim and were destroyed with the slightest impact. 80's Shredders plan to 'buy some time' consisted of ordering his own robot troops to self-destruct where they stood... I suspect that they were more threatening in the original show and just had a bad day this time due to poor maintenance and such).

4. Crazy matter-transporter dimensional portal technology - The Technodrome is equipped with a matter transporter that lets Shredder teleport stuff around and a dimensional portal that allows travel between dimensions.

5. Bad gas mileage - This is one thing that stands out to me, the Technodrome needs power to move around and do all its crazy stuff. Apparently in the origional series it spent alot of time stuck underground, in lava, in space, or in other dimensions due to not having enough power. Fortunately, making robot mooks and transporting stuff around uses less energy than moving the Technodrome itself so he can have enough resources to go steal some more power.

6. Siege Weaponry - In the movie, the Technodrome had rays built onto its outer shell that let it dig through rock to move underground and to destroy buildings (though that's more when 2003 Shredder upgraded it) but it doesn't seem built for attacking individual people (thats what the Foot Soldiers are for).

So... if a DnD BBEG were to aquire something similar to the Technodrome (powerful nigh-indestructible mobile fortress that can churn out armies of loyal troops, dig underground, pretty much bust through any medieval-level fortification around, and potentially Plane Shift its entire contents anywhere in the Multiverse... all at the cost of HUGE amounts of fuel) then what sort of evil plan could he use it for?

My guess is that regardless of the intended result of their master plan, a good chunk of their plan would consist of getting fuel. Probably gems, since they seem to fuel magic spells. Or more likely he would try mining for uranium ore to process or for fossile fuels... whatever he needs, it would either be so rare he needs to take over lots of mines to get enough or would have to get massive amounts of it to get enough power. Either way would attract attention.

Magical means to get that sort of power would have other problems since mages capable of casting the spells to conjure that energy would likely be able to interfere with his plan or capture the thing for themselves.

Once he gets enough power... anything from dimension-hopping, conquering huge fortresses with its digging rays, or churning out armies of improved construct soldiers would be possible.

OracleofWuffing
2010-03-14, 06:43 PM
80's Shredders plan to 'buy some time' consisted of ordering his own robot troops to self-destruct where they stood... I suspect that they were more threatening in the original show and just had a bad day this time due to poor maintenance and such
No, no... That's... Pretty much how they worked. Keep in mind they'd occasionally fight someone with Nunchuckusases and would lose even with laser beam support. And that's not because Mikey was a very dedicated and serious fighter.

There's always the fallback idea of using the superweapon to claim oneself as a new deity and enslaving the populace, and the modules could be used as better mounted soldiers once the whole energy requirement is solved... For that matter, one could use all this drillpower to flood the Earth with liquid hot magma unless he receives one million platinum pieces. Hm, maybe the BBEG is someone from the elemental plane of fire and thinks it's too cold here?

JoshuaZ
2010-03-14, 06:50 PM
Okay, I just recently watched Turtles Forever (a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover movie where the 80's series turtles meet the ones from the 2003 series) and I really like the Technodrome that 80's Shredder has.

Huh. How do they explain two nearly identical groups of entities? Parallel universes?

Whatever I did with the Technodrome I'd probably get a few artificers to help make it spiffier and more deadly. Maybe some gnomish tinkerers also (the version in FR not the version in Dragonlance).

The Shadowmind
2010-03-14, 07:34 PM
You could adapt the robotic foot soldiers into animated skeletons (1HD each version if low level party, and about as strong as the foot clan ninjas were to begin with :smallwink:). The energy problem could be solved with a endcanter of endless water, and a imprisoned fire elemental to produce a constant supply of steam. Place a "plot beats rules" crystal of teleportation in the center able to transfer the thing from place to place.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-03-14, 07:42 PM
This thread is win. Haven't seen the new movie. Man the memories.

A lot of this is directly do-able in DnD. What do you have trouble with?

krossbow
2010-03-14, 08:23 PM
This thread is win. Haven't seen the new movie. Man the memories.

A lot of this is directly do-able in DnD. What do you have trouble with?

Unfortunately, the movie is basically a non-stop conveyor belt of the new turtles and shredder taking absolute *&%s on the old turtles; I get that the 80's shredder and turtles were comical, and the new turtles people were proud of their creations, but the old shredder and the old turtles could still fight darn it!

basically, stat the footsoldiers as basic humanoid soldiers, with the ability to self destruct, and a penalty to dexterity.

Give the technodrome the ability to manufacture, out of thin air, up to a certain number of these per day, with a maximum number it can maintain under its control at a time.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-14, 08:24 PM
Huh. How do they explain two nearly identical groups of entities? Parallel universes?

Whatever I did with the Technodrome I'd probably get a few artificers to help make it spiffier and more deadly. Maybe some gnomish tinkerers also (the version in FR not the version in Dragonlance).

Multiple parallel universes. There are like 3 groups of turtles: The black/white comics, the old Cartoon, and the new cartoon. 3 Shredders as well (well 2 and the demon one in the new cartoon).

It is pretty awesome.

OracleofWuffing
2010-03-14, 09:40 PM
Multiple parallel universes. There are like 3 groups of turtles: The black/white comics, the old Cartoon, and the new cartoon. 3 Shredders as well (well 2 and the demon one in the new cartoon).

It is pretty awesome.
Awww, man, no mention of that anime version (http://www.scary-crayon.com/spectare/tmntova1/)?

krossbow
2010-03-14, 09:51 PM
Awww, man, no mention of that anime version (http://www.scary-crayon.com/spectare/tmntova1/)?

there was a throwaway reference to that. The new shredder is going hyper paranoid insane because he realized that there are an infinite number of turtle multiverses, and therefore, unless he kills every single turtle reality in existence they could just warp in from a parallel reality and take him down; That was one of the images on the screen during his speech.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-14, 10:32 PM
What would a BBEG do with the Technodrome?!

ANY-FRICKING-THING HE/SHE/IT/THEY WANT!

It's the goddamn Technodrome.

"I cast a maximized empowered twinned quickened dirty dancing night-to-day fancy shmancy greater disintegrate."

"It's the Technodrome."

"Soo..."

"NO AFFECT. And Krang just ate your face."

EDIT: I want to see Krang in DND. Hollow out a Warforged, stick a Brain In A Jar in the chest cavity. BAM.

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-14, 11:15 PM
EDIT: I want to see Krang in DND. Hollow out a Warforged, stick a Brain In A Jar in the chest cavity. BAM.

Make it a hollow Shield Guardian with custom enchanted Throwing and Returning slam attacks, flight, an at-will scorching ray eye beam attack, and a 1/day giant size SLA, and you've got yourself a deal! :smallwink:

Also, Techodrome in D&D is the best idea I've heard all year! :smallbiggrin:

hiryuu
2010-03-14, 11:30 PM
Well, let's take a look at what the Technodrome has available (lifted from Wikipedia):

972 rooms (Mentioned in episode"The Missing Map")
A trans-dimensional portal used to transport people (or mutants) and objects between Earth and Dimension X.
Eyeball missile launchers
5 trident-shaped laser cannons: two located at the top of the Technodrome at each side of the eye, two on its sides, and one on its front (occasionally, due to animation errors, they're depicted on other places, usually the rear, or more than 5 are seen)
2 large laser cannons that can be deployed with multiple eyeball missile racks (seen in The Big Blow Out).
A mounted surveillance eye on the top
A mouser factory
Training facilities for Shredder's henchmen, Bebop and Rocksteady[citation needed]
Three-foot-thick titanium armour
Huge tank treads, used to move the Technodrome across land or underground from each location.
Robot walker legs that can be used instead of tank treads (seen in The Big Blow Out)
Gigantic saw blades and cutting devices (used in The Big Blow Out to get an energy antenna)
Pedal Power Generator (used in The Big Rip-Off to generate a small amount of power when Technodrome was completely out of power)
Large holding cells
Earthquake machine (used in Return of the Technodrome)
Various drilling mechanisms
Motor pool area that houses foot bikes and technorovers
Trap Door in the center of the main control room as used in Hot Rodding Teenagers from Dimension X
Star fighter deck that houses technowings
Classical Japanese Dojo Rooms
Balance control (during near the end of Season 3)
Anti-gravitation generators making the technodrome able to hover slightly above the ground (used during season 2 )
Disintegrator Unit (season 2)
Relay Room
Street Fighter II arcade machine (series 3)*
Engine Room
Laundry room
A turtle farm where hatchlings are bred for 126 hours before being lightly boiled in a basil and fey broth to form part of Shredder's weekly diet (series 2)
Two stainless steel clad toilets at either end of the structure with industrial-strength rhino dung collector contraptions.
Indoor Pool & Sauna
*Shredder, apparently, loves the classics.

THIS IS THE BEST FORTRESS EVER.

KillianHawkeye
2010-03-15, 06:20 AM
Make it a hollow Shield Guardian with custom enchanted Throwing and Returning slam attacks, flight, an at-will scorching ray eye beam attack, and a 1/day giant size SLA, and you've got yourself a deal! :smallwink:

I did some looking into this and the Runic Guardian (the better version of a Shield Guardian) in Monster Manual II will work even better. You can put giant size as a full-body runic spell (it becomes a 1/day SLA) and just ad hoc the rest of it, plus you get the coolness of having the runes light up your whole body when doing giant size. Also, the Runic Guardian looks nicer and seems like it'd be better capable of holding a Brain in a Jar in its abdomen.

For the technodrome, I find that a Collosal advanced Juggernaut (also from Monster Manual II) looks like a good place to start, although even at Collosal size it's nowhere near as big.

Now I just gotta start thinking of an adventure to use this stuff! :smallbiggrin:

Randel
2010-03-15, 06:22 PM
After doing some thinking I came up with a few ideas:

1. The Foot Soldiers seem to work like Minions using 4th edition rules. They go down in one hit regardless of what hit them, their strength is that they are cheap to make and you can 'afford' about four of them for every normal mook you would put in the encounter. Their attacks always do the same amount of damage and they are best used to slow down the heroes and support stonger units.

That seems to be about how they worked in the one scene I saw in the movie, Shredder sent out a whole army of them and they fired at the turtles long enough to distract them while Shredder got the Technodrome warmed up to get away. Beebob and Rocksteady were leading the charge and the exploding Foot Soldiers helped them escape the battle. I'm guessing that the standard Foot Soldier would be a lvl 1 minion and its just that the Turtles are now high enough level that a standard encounter against them involves whole masses of them but they still can't hit the turtles AC and dodge bonuses (they are Ninjas after all).

2. Krang would be some kind of outsider. He is an 'alien brain' from Dimension X and I think he did originally have a body and he's just bad-ass enough (and has a weird enough biology) that his disembodied brain has a face, tentacle arms and can eat and talk. His current construct body is pretty cool but even if that's destroyed he should be able to crawl away and function independently of it.

However, if by some chance he gets access to a powerful enough regeneration magic that he gets his original body back... well, I don't know what the heck his original body was like but if his disembodied brain can survive without the rest of his body and all his vital organs then he's got to be something to fear. (Who knows... maybe he was originally some kind of super intelligent Terrasque from the Far Realm or something and turning giant is his way of getting back to his 'normal' size.)

Utrom Shredder is an immortal waddling head... he was born that way. Krang is slightly weaker but thats because his freaking body exploded in his crash-landing from Dimension X (I think). Healed Krang would probably constitute a Cosmic Horror or even an Elder Evil depending on how far you want to go with it.

3. Also, in Magic of Eberron there is an Elemental Vehicle that looks like a boulder that people can ride in, it has an imprisoned Earth elemental that lets it move through rock. Its nowhere near as big as the Technodrome but its an interesting vehicle. It seats 12 and costs something like 200,000 gp. Nowhere near as cool as Technodrome but its something.

chiasaur11
2010-03-15, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately, the movie is basically a non-stop conveyor belt of the new turtles and shredder taking absolute *&%s on the old turtles; I get that the 80's shredder and turtles were comical, and the new turtles people were proud of their creations, but the old shredder and the old turtles could still fight darn it!

Hey, the old turtles still managed some degree of combat effectiveness.

And really, depending on the episode of the first series considered, the exaggeration was almost non-existent.

Man, that was a fun sendoff for the franchise.