PDA

View Full Version : Oops

jogiff
2010-03-14, 06:04 PM
Yesterday I played a game of 3.5 and destroyed the mirror that we were looking for. The reason we were looking for the mirror was that some drow had used it to store a stolen portal in. What I'm wondering is if the portal is actually destroyed. I'm new to DnD so I'm not sure what this means or where to find out.

Don't worry, I know that my character won't know whether or not the portal is actually destroyed, but I do want to know for myself.

Oh, and this takes place in Faerun if that matters.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-14, 06:06 PM
We can't really know. D&D isn't really a game that has a single scenario that everyone plays. So, it's pretty much up to either the module you're playing, or your DM.

Lycan 01
2010-03-14, 06:07 PM
Sorry mate, there's not much we can tell you. Its up to your DM to decide what the outcome is, so researching it yourself is really just a waste of time. Plus, if there is a pre-written outcome, it ruins the surprise. :smallwink:

Did the session end right after you broke the mirror? Or did the story keep going for awhile? :smallconfused:

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-14, 06:07 PM
Ask your DM.

This sounds like something your DM made. Not every game is the same (actually an infinitesimally small number are), and this doesn't sound like a magic item I know of.

tyckspoon
2010-03-14, 06:10 PM
The answer is "ask your DM." Plot-coupon items like that usually are not designed completely by-the-book.

In-character, it shouldn't be too hard for a spellcaster to figure out whether or not there's still a working portal in there. Detect Magic + Spellcraft will tell you if there's still a magic aura on the thing (most teleportation/transport effects are Conjuration), you can Identify it, and portals are common enough in Faerun that most casters should be able to detect them with relatively mundane means (ie, without casting a spell on it) as long as nobody took special efforts to hide its presence.

jogiff
2010-03-14, 06:17 PM
Sorry mate, there's not much we can tell you. Its up to your DM to decide what the outcome is, so researching it yourself is really just a waste of time. Plus, if there is a pre-written outcome, it ruins the surprise. :smallwink:

Did the session end right after you broke the mirror? Or did the story keep going for awhile? :smallconfused:

Yeah, it ended as soon as the mirror blew up. Otherwise I would have assumed that it was fine and that the arrows just shot what ever was on the other side of the portal.

Lycan 01
2010-03-14, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it ended as soon as the mirror blew up. Otherwise I would have assumed that it was fine and that the arrows just shot what ever was on the other side of the portal.

Yeah, you didn't just break the mirror. You broke the DM, I think. He probably had to stop the game so he could actually figure out what to do...

Did he say anything after you broke the mirror, or why the game was ending? Did he seem annoyed or anything? :smallconfused:

jogiff
2010-03-14, 06:36 PM
Yeah, you didn't just break the mirror. You broke the DM, I think. He probably had to stop the game so he could actually figure out what to do...

Did he say anything after you broke the mirror, or why the game was ending? Did he seem annoyed or anything? :smallconfused:

No, he admitted that he wanted to goad me into destroying the mirror either way. It looked like a giant spider and my character has an extreme fear of spiders. The game ended because it was ten o'clock.

Lycan 01
2010-03-14, 06:41 PM
Then if he was trying to goad you into it, you did the right thing. So don't worry. Unless your GM is a complete jerk who likes to see his players suffer, the next session should be fun. :smallbiggrin:

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-15, 03:24 PM
I think that I'd try to avoid interacting with drow in any way whatsoever, were I arachnophobic. Actually, I think that I'd try to avoid interacting with drow in any way whatsoever if I lived in a typical D&D campaign setting and was familiar with drow.

The magic portals described in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting cannot be destroyed through physical means. They're also immobile, so from what you've said, the one you're dealing with would seem not to function by the those rules. And since we have no way of knowing what rules it does function by, we can't really answer your question.

However, you describe the portal as being stored in the mirror, rather than saying that the mirror is a portal. If the mirror is simply a container for this magical effect, rather than a magic item that produces the effect, it seems less likely that destroying the mirror would simply destroy the effect. Though what it would do I have no clue. Maybe nothing, but I wouldn't count on it. They say that breaking a mirror is bad luck...

AslanCross
2010-03-15, 04:49 PM
Yeah, as mentioned above, this is most likely a plot-related element, ie, the kind of stuff that the DM makes up. The DM making stuff up is part of the game, so just sit back and enjoy what will happen next.

If you're still alive, that is.

jogiff
2010-03-17, 09:42 PM
I think that I'd try to avoid interacting with drow in any way whatsoever, were I arachnophobic. Actually, I think that I'd try to avoid interacting with drow in any way whatsoever if I lived in a typical D&D campaign setting and was familiar with drow.

The magic portals described in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting cannot be destroyed through physical means. They're also immobile, so from what you've said, the one you're dealing with would seem not to function by the those rules. And since we have no way of knowing what rules it does function by, we can't really answer your question.

However, you describe the portal as being stored in the mirror, rather than saying that the mirror is a portal. If the mirror is simply a container for this magical effect, rather than a magic item that produces the effect, it seems less likely that destroying the mirror would simply destroy the effect. Though what it would do I have no clue. Maybe nothing, but I wouldn't count on it. They say that breaking a mirror is bad luck...

Yeah, I personally think that not only is the portal fine, but that we'd probably have to break the mirror if I hadn't.

But my main point is that my character going into the Drow encampment was just bad roleplaying. But I'm learning and it's a fun characteristic to have, so I think everything should be 'K.

Thajocoth
2010-03-18, 02:18 AM
Your character broke a mirror? Isn't that, like, 1d7 sessions bad luck?

Well, good thing the d7 doesn't exist. :smallamused: