PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 build advice] Knowledge devotion and fighters.

Mythestopheles
2010-03-14, 06:24 PM
I am interested in making a character (preferably melee) specializing in Knowledge. I plan on using knowledge devotion and the like. Does anyone here know of any good options to make this viable?

I'm aiming for a character of roughly tier 3.

Feel free to use any books, I'm only looking for options after all.

Thanks.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-14, 06:27 PM
Duskblade. See Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866690/The_Duskblades_Handbook_--_2007)

Pluto
2010-03-14, 06:27 PM
I am interested in making a character (preferably melee) specializing in Knowledge. I plan on using knowledge devotion and the like. Does anyone here know of any good options to make this viable?
I usually use it with Duskblades and Bards. Truenamers would get decent use out of it too, I suppose.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-14, 06:29 PM
Straight duskblade with knowledge devotion
Full BAB
all knowledge skills as class skill
Int based casting off-sets the low SP per level
and Tier 3 out of the box,
Sprinke with gish prestige class to flavor (fiend blooded is pretty good IMO since it gives you access to tasty spells to channel such as Bestow curse or the inflict line, also gives a bit of versatility with illusions such a mirror image)

Edit: Holy c*** I made my spot check, ninjas!!!

Yukitsu
2010-03-14, 06:33 PM
If you're going that route, secondary int is a must. I'd do a 1 level dip into cloistered cleric to a war god with able learner. This lets you take knowledge devotion early, as well as an extra pair of those excellent devotion feats, along with turning to power them.

I would also consider taking a dip into swashbuckler for int to damage, and taking the daring fighter to advance some of their abilities with your fighter class (not to mention getting rid of multiclass penalties.)

Mythestopheles
2010-03-14, 06:35 PM
Wow, I somehow completely missed the fact that duskblades have all knowledge skill as class skills.

deuxhero
2010-03-14, 06:40 PM
In *knowing* the teachings of Zerthimon I have become stronger.

As for the actual build, I know I'm being captain obvious here, but human is good for this.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-14, 06:53 PM
How about.
Human
Duskblade 13/Fiendblooded 7

1Blood Calls to blood (pre requisite)
Human Eschew materials (pre requisite)
3 knowledge devotion
6 Power attack
9 XXXXX
12 XXXXX
15XXXXX
18XXXXX

Talbot
2010-03-14, 06:57 PM
A melee oriented Factotum could be a good bet. Int's your most important stat, spend the rest of your feats on improving your melee abilities (EWP: Quickrazors or Quickdraw + Iaijutsu could be a good place to start, as could a few FoIs and Craven). Use your extremely limited spellcasting to buff yourself, and after level five you have a pretty solid source of self healing.

Amphetryon
2010-03-14, 07:36 PM
DFI Bard with Snowflake Wardance works pretty well as an option that wasn't listed when I started this post.

Scorpions__
2010-03-14, 07:50 PM
Truenamer has 3/4 BAB and all the knowledge skills, plus a ton of self-buffs. It's work well if you're willing to put the wealth and effort into it...

DM[F]R

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-14, 08:02 PM
Truenamer has 3/4 BAB and all the knowledge skills, plus a ton of self-buffs. It's work well if you're willing to put the wealth and effort into it...

DM[F]R

Yes, but it's also a Truenamer. And what does DM[F]R mean?

Scorpions__
2010-03-14, 08:04 PM
Truenamers are possible... Just not easy, if he was willing to put the work into it, I think it would fit the archetype he wants. You can't say I didn't put a fair warning with it.

Dungeon Master [Flynn] Ringrose

Hawk7915
2010-03-14, 08:06 PM
Factotum or Duskblade are probably the best options here. If you are stuck core only, consider Bard or even Ranger (especially if you can con your DM into giving you some sort of two-handed weapon style instead). Rangers have a flanking buddy, 6 skill points per level, and Nature and Dungeoneering as class ski. Even more awesome if you are a wildshape variant ranger, of course.

Actually, Ranger is sounding better and better depending on campaign...you could do a ton of damage by stacking up Favored Enemy and Knowledge Devotion bonuses, enough to almost make TWF worth it...

Pluto
2010-03-14, 08:26 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an Archivist/Warblade/Eternal Blade.

And just Cleric works pretty well, to be honest. Even without Cloistered or high Intelligence. Divine Inspiration and the absolute minimum skill ranks in all skills has done just fine for me.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-14, 08:31 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an Archivist/Warblade/Eternal Blade.

How is that build? I am assuming a delayed entry into eternal blade.

Pluto
2010-03-14, 08:39 PM
How is that build?
Let me just say that it is not a build I would use in an optimized game.

Except maybe Gestalt.

JaronK
2010-03-14, 08:51 PM
Indeed, if you want T3 then Duskblade and Factotum can both get the job done nicely. It just depends if you want to be more of a straight forward fighty type or be a bit less hitty and a bit more flexible. That said, Factotum Knowledge Devotion types usually do better with archery I've found.

JaronK