PDA

View Full Version : I AM Going to learn D20 Modern!

Dragero
2010-03-14, 07:48 PM
I have finaly decided it is time for me to learn the D20 modern system. I`ve only ever played D&D 3.5 before, so this might be a bit of a leap.

A few questions:

How many editions of d20 modern are there? What edition does the SRD use?

Are there any major things (exp, some stats, skills, ect) left out of the SRD?

Are there any odd mechanics in d20 modern?

Any other things that a newbie should know?

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-14, 07:49 PM
d20 Modern has only one edition.

Dragero
2010-03-14, 07:53 PM
Pheww! Thats a relief! I hate juggling systems!

sonofzeal
2010-03-14, 08:02 PM
I'm no expert, but one thing I'll say is that multiclassing is way more encouraged than it was in even 3.5. There's no multiclass penalties, the interaction is spelled out more clearly, and Prestige Classes open up way earlier. Also, given how the system is set up, you can get what you need out of classes much more quickly, so multiclassing to get what you want from each tree is entirely feasible.

Elvenoutrider
2010-03-14, 08:12 PM
As someone who has played the system a lot, take it from me, your better off using another system. Gurps works far better for a modern setting. If you really want to use d20 modern for whatever reason, I suggest playing E6, capping the pcs off at lvl 6 and having them gain feats every 5000 exp after that. After lv 6 I feel the fights are a lot less exciting.

Xallace
2010-03-14, 08:24 PM
As stated, multiclassing is very viable- and very fun, depending on character. There's just as much incentive to take a class the whole way as there is to branch off.

The Wealth mechanic is weird, but remember to use common sense. Just because having a bonus above a certain amount will let you have a theoretically infinite number of rocket launchers doesn't mean do it.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-14, 08:28 PM
If we can suggest other systems, I would suggest Unisystem. Witchcraft is available online for free, and AFMBE is usually worth every penny you would pay for it.

Frosty
2010-03-14, 08:31 PM
I kinda like the system tobe honest. Use it.

mr.fizzypop
2010-03-14, 08:44 PM
In my opinion, the regular D20 modern system isn't that great, but I like the supplements like D20 future or apocalypse.

Dragero
2010-03-14, 08:46 PM
Reading through the SRD, it appears to be a kind of heavily modified 3.5 system.

Wealth is a bit odd, but I think I get it.

Raiki
2010-03-14, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I have to second the GURPS suggestion. While I've played both, and while I did enjoy the D20 Modern games I played, GURPS delivers a better system, with a more reliable mechanic, and better support. And I never did really learn to enjoy the "generic classes" of Modern. I think it's really just a half-measure between a class system and a classless system. I don't think it really works terribly well, but then again I'm addicted to options.

~R~

Dragero
2010-03-14, 10:40 PM
Hmmm learning the system was easyer than I thought.......It`s basicly 3.5 with guns and funny money.

DueceEsMachine
2010-03-14, 11:00 PM
Yeah - pretty much. the nice thing is that the "funny money" wealth system translates well into apocalypse games when it's a little abstract how much wealth you actually have.

I don't know, I'm in the air about some of the modern - but all in all, I play it enough that I've learned to like it. The future/future tech ect supplements really make it a lot more fun.

Rappy
2010-03-15, 01:21 AM
I'd suggest picking up the Modern Player's Companion, by the Game Mechanics. It's written by some of the creation team behind d20 Modern, and has plenty of helpful sidebars that explains why they did what they did (including occupations, advanced vs. prestige classes, and alternatives to wealth...as well as why they recommend using the wealth system anyway).

Also, there are few things left out of the SRD; specifically, Experience Point-based advancement, the psionics-to-spells conversion chart (IIRC), the wealth-to-gold reference, some of the Gamemaster stuff, and Intellectual Property monsters and organizations such as mind flayers, displacer beasts, beholders, the Church of Pelor, and the Heirs of Kyuss.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-15, 02:51 AM
D20 Modern, though more lethal then 3.5, the massive damage save is MUCH lower, is still not exactly a 'gritty' system. If your leery about learning a whole new system and are comfortable with 3.5, it's perfect.
One magic item makes it worth while for me.
Three words: Magic Duct Tape.
That's awesome.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-15, 06:54 AM
One magic item makes it worth while for me.
Three words: Magic Duct Tape.

Yes, yes, and again... yes! I created a teacher who acted as a consultant, and rolled very poorly for my wealth (starting with WB 5 or something). One of the few things I could afford was mastercraft duct tape (the other was a taser). By far, the duct tape lived up to its reputation.

I've played a decent amount of d20 Modern (and a convenient fuoll SRD writeup done by myself is in my sig), and the books that aren't covered in the SRD are:
- d20 Past (a pulpy late 1800s to early-mid 1900s setting)
- d20 Cyberpunk (Haven't read through it too much)
- d20 Future Weapons (an add-on book for the Future setting)
- d20 Post Apocalypse (a new setting that mostly adds onto Modern - though can be used with a Future setting)
- Dark*Matter (sort of like a Conspiracy X version for d20 Modern -> X-Files-ish type stuff)

I think that's it for the WotC products. There are also a few D&D books that have suggestions for adapting it to the d20 Modern setting (like Expedition to Castle Ravenloft).

All Flesh Must be Eaten (Unisystem) has conversion rules. Personally, I think Conspiracy X or AFMBE (never played Witchcraft...) do a very good job with a modern setting, but d20 Modern still works well (if you want a deadlier game, ConX - AFMBE is the way to go). Without magical boosts to Con, HP still stays reasonably lower than D&D. I'm wary of GURPS after some bad experiences, so I can't personally recommend it (your mileage may vary, though).

Dragero
2010-03-15, 10:16 AM
Cool, thanks for the info.

About XP:
Is it the same as 3.5 xp? Could I use the numbers in my PHB to determine levels in Modern?

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-15, 12:04 PM
Cool, thanks for the info.

About XP:
Is it the same as 3.5 xp? Could I use the numbers in my PHB to determine levels in Modern?

No problem :smallbiggrin:

As far as I recall, XP for levellin is the exact same as in 3.5. NPCs and monsters also use the same CR system to determine XP, so if you know how to calculate it for 3.5, you already know how to calculate it in Modern.

The only odd thing that springs to mind about d20 Modern is the wealth system, but once you learn the basics, it's easy to get used to. Other than that, it's close enough to 3.X that the rest shouldn't be a problem.

Dragero
2010-03-15, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I think I've got the basics of Modern Figured out. Also, tons of thanks, SpikeFightwicky, your SRD website was much better than the one i've been using (though the pop-ups do get a bit anoying). It actualy has Urban arcana and Future :P

Also, I think i've got Future in the bag too! It's not a VERY hard system to learn. :smallwink:

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-15, 12:09 PM
Nonlethal damage is different, and your massive damage threshold is far lower than in D&D 3.5.

And the system came before 3.5, so it's really a mix of 3.0, 3.5 and 'house rules'.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-15, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I think I've got the basics of Modern Figured out. Also, tons of thanks, SpikeFightwicky, your SRD website was much better than the one i've been using (though the pop-ups do get a bit anoying). It actualy has Urban arcana and Future :P

Also, I think i've got Future in the bag too! It's not a VERY hard system to learn. :smallwink:

Yeah, that's the problem with Tripod. After Geocities closed, I had a heck of a time finding a web host that actually lets you create a website from scratch (they mostly force you to use tools to build it). I'll have to see if I there's one without so much pop-up. I have a version on systemreferencedocuments.org, but they haven't updated it to include UA and Future and I can't reach the webhost. The only SRD I know of is 12toMidnight, but I didn't like their formatting, and their lack of non-core.

Come to think of it, another user on these forums is also hosting it in a non-Tripod site which doesn't have pop-ups. The link is:
Here (http://swampwitchgames.com/d20msrd/srdhome.html)
It's the same thing, but it looks like it doesn't have pop-ups.

Also, look up what Yuki mentioned about massive damage and non-lethal as it is indeed different.

Dragero
2010-03-15, 12:36 PM
Yeah, that's the problem with Tripod. After Geocities closed, I had a heck of a time finding a web host that actually lets you create a website from scratch (they mostly force you to use tools to build it). I'll have to see if I there's one without so much pop-up. I have a version on systemreferencedocuments.org, but they haven't updated it to include UA and Future and I can't reach the webhost. The only SRD I know of is 12toMidnight, but I didn't like their formatting, and their lack of non-core.

Come to think of it, another user on these forums is also hosting it in a non-Tripod site which doesn't have pop-ups. The link is:
Here (http://swampwitchgames.com/d20msrd/srdhome.html)
It's the same thing, but it looks like it doesn't have pop-ups.

Also, look up what Yuki mentioned about massive damage and non-lethal as it is indeed different.

.......Thats actualy real funny! I was using your version on SRD.org before I found this updated version :P I was wondering why the desgns where so similar!

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-15, 12:55 PM
.......Thats actualy real funny! I was using your version on SRD.org before I found this updated version :P I was wondering why the desgns where so similar!

Makes sense :smallbiggrin: I tried for about a month to get the admin to update it, but haven't heard back from them. That was a few months ago so I found a new free-host, and the GitP user also offered to host it. I usually access it from a connection that doesn't allow Javascript, so I wasn't aware of any pop-up issues until just now. I'll have to look for another option.

Also, for d20 Future, there was one rule that one of my players tried to overuse, where an item has its purchase DC lowered by 5 for every PL below you it is (for example, a PL 6 gun's purchase DC is 10 less than listed when you're at PL 8 -> so a purchase DC 18 PL 6 gun is only DC 8 in PL 8). When I mentioned that finding ammo for a gun (solid projectile) that's hundreds of years out of date might be difficult, or that some current technology gadgets might not all work on it, he eased up a bit.

Dragero
2010-03-15, 01:02 PM
As soon as I saw that rule, I had crazy Ideas of how to over-use it.

Buy a ton of guns for 1-5 DC, and open an antique gun shop!

Also, some of the cybernetic implants look fun. Replace both hands with lightsabers!! Or better yet...Give each finger an mini lightsaber that can be contracted at will!! Or make each finger hold a different item! Or a finger for each possible weapon you need! Or a Rocketlauncher that despences duct-tape that is build into your ear!!!!!