PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Please [3.5]

Fiery Diamond
2010-03-14, 08:11 PM
Halp! I'm running a gestalt campaign and I have a villain who is a Cleric//Sorcerer level 10 (with some extra benefits - some bonus feats and spells known - because he's been blessed by the evil deity). I need some monster minions for this guy. Now, I'm planning on giving him some low-CR undead as cannon fodder, but I'm in need of suggestions for other minions to give him that are not just cannon fodder. I want him to have some monsters.

So this is my request: I want some suggestions for shadow or darkness themed monsters with a CR of 3-12. (Yeah, a big range, I know.) Please list the source for the monster. Yes, I will be just as willing to look at homebrewed stuff, too, just make sure to link it.

Thank you, my fellow forumites!

Raiki
2010-03-14, 08:17 PM
What evil deity was he blessed by? That would give a bit more direction as to what would be appropriate.

Before taking that into consideration, maybe a group of Shadows or Allips? Greater Shadows? How well does your party handle incorporeal creatures? Depending on what classes they are, this could be a real problem for them. Not only that, but it fits both the undead and the shadow themes. :smallsmile:

Edit: Oh, btw, all of those, should anyone not know, are from either MM1 or the SRD.

Anyway, hope this helped.

~R~

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-14, 08:23 PM
If you have an unamed evil deity, go with spawn of kyuus, MM II I believe...maybe MM III. but they are some really nice undead.

holywhippet
2010-03-14, 09:02 PM
Flesh golems can be made by someone with a caster level of 8, but I don't think the two different classes stack for that kind of thing. You can have it's cosmetic appearance make it hard to identify.

Raiki
2010-03-14, 09:06 PM
Well, actually, he's 10 levels in both cleric AND sorcerer, so Flesh Golems are definitely on the table. Though the Craft Golem feat would be necessary. That would add another layer to the fight just as well as an incorporeal creature would, Golems being immune to most spells and sneak attack and such.

~R~

AslanCross
2010-03-14, 11:09 PM
In Core, Shadows and Wraiths.

MM3 has the Vasuthant and the Shadesteel Golem.

the humanity
2010-03-14, 11:41 PM
Drowned from MMIII (I think) would be interesting.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-15, 07:44 AM
Other than what has been mentioned:

- A necropolitan warlock who has the ability (forget what it's called) to see through magical darkness, and create 'Darkness' (as the spell) at will. I know it's an applicable combination, though (Exp. to Castle Ravenloft has a trio of darkness abusing 'locks).
(Necropolitan is from Libris Mortis unless I'm mistaken)

- Make a cloaker undead (ghost probably works best) and use his 'Shadow Shift' ability while going crazy with ghost SAs.

- Mist elemental or Dread Air Elemental can fit the bill with a bit of flavoring (Denizens of Dread, 3.5 Ravenloft book)

- All devils can naturally see in darkness, so they complement anything that can create darkness.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head.

Soonerdj
2010-03-15, 08:13 AM
For Srd ones:

You could use Cloakers and Nightmares, depending on the power of the npcs. If they have a cleric I'd use the morphic ones.

surfing.turtle
2010-03-20, 10:59 PM
This may not fit, but Displacer beasts (MMI) are always awesome.

Deca
2010-03-20, 11:29 PM
Dragons. You can stick a dragon anywhere, in any dungeon.

Half-orc Bard
2010-03-20, 11:50 PM
Beholders or goths or you can be nice and give 'em wights.

AslanCross
2010-03-21, 12:03 AM
Beholders or goths or you can be nice and give 'em wights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southeast/series10/images/goth_gallery/goths_group449.jpg

"The goths walk up to you and glare at you with world-weary expressions." :smallbiggrin:

Starscream
2010-03-21, 12:07 AM
"The goths walk up to you and glare at you with world-weary expressions." :smallbiggrin:

:smalleek:I throw a Bahaus album and run the other way!