PDA

View Full Version : Shield Wielding Cleric

Crosswinds
2010-03-14, 10:54 PM
Long Story Short, I'm making a Cleric for my next local campaign.

He worships a divine turtle.

So, I got to thinking, "What kind of weapon would a turtle favor?" And instantly, I thought of having a shield as a primary weapon.

So, playgrounders, here's my question to you: How would I go about making a 3rd Level Cleric that only wields shields?

JaronK
2010-03-14, 10:56 PM
Shield Charge -> Shield Slam, plus Improved Trip. And then the usual DMM: Persistant fun, using AoE buffs (Lesser Mass Vigor or Vigorous Circle, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful) and maybe Divine Power.

Solid as heck, while still buffing the party, plus you can smack people with your shield.

JaronK

AslanCross
2010-03-14, 10:59 PM
Alternatively, a pick could represent the turtle's crushing beak.

If you're really dead set on wielding a shield only, there are a lot of spells (especially in Spell Compendium and Complete Champion) that bolster your shield. I'm not really sure if they're cleric or paladin spells, though. I'm AFB.

Most relevant is Improved Shield Bash, so you can still keep your AC bonus.

Hunter Noventa
2010-03-15, 12:09 AM
Heck, you could technically carry two shields, one made for bashing and attacking, preferably with spikes, though if that doesn't fit your theme it could still work. Only caveat is that you couldn't get the AC bonus of both at the same time, but it would be pretty amusing.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-15, 12:11 AM
If you go double shields, look into a Ranged (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/armorAndShields.htm#ranged) shield so you can lay down some smack from a distance.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-15, 12:32 AM
there's a dwarven shield that has a bladed edge on it and can be used as a weapon

you may also be interested in the Gnome Tortoise Blade featured in Races of Stone

Mastikator
2010-03-15, 12:45 AM
Turtles don't use their shell as a weapon, they hide inside it. It makes more sense that a cleric of turtle would be more of a tank than an aggressor.
Or maybe hiding behind a tower shield.

But yeah, pick would also make sense. Using a pick as an attack when possible, and hiding behind a tower shield when necessary.

It would help if there was information about this turtle.

Crosswinds
2010-03-15, 12:48 AM
I think I have everything I need now.

Between this and Person Man's guide to shields, I think I have just about all my bases covered.

Many thanks.

El Dorado
2010-03-15, 12:56 AM
A buddy ran his cleric like this for a while. Shield Charge, Shield Slam, and I think, Agile Shield Fighter. I liked it because it made sword and board more dynamic than it normally is.

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-15, 04:47 PM
Two-weapon fighting is generally not a good idea for a cleric. However, the Martial Weapon Proficiency (Heavy Spiked Shield) and Improved Shield Bash feats do let you fight and block with a shield with one arm while leaving your other hand free to cast spells with somatic components. This is the most obvious reason to have a cleric wield a shield, as I see it.

And if and when you want to attack with both hands, you can wield your shield two-handed.

Tar Palantir
2010-03-15, 04:55 PM
A spiked heavy shield with the Bashing property does base 2d6 damage as a one-handed weapon, and counts as a +1 weapon (though you would still need to enchant it as a weapon to get weapon properties on it).Shield Charge, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Trip, and you're good to go.

Calmar
2010-03-15, 05:03 PM
Turtles don't use their shell as a weapon, they hide inside it. It makes more sense that a cleric of turtle would be more of a tank than an aggressor.
Or maybe hiding behind a tower shield.

But yeah, pick would also make sense. Using a pick as an attack when possible, and hiding behind a tower shield when necessary.

It would help if there was information about this turtle.

I agree. A really big shield and some kind of blunt weapon seem most appropriate to me.