PDA

View Full Version : Start of Darkness - Best book I read in a long time

taltamir
2010-03-15, 08:32 AM
Wow, start of darkness was awesome, best book I have read in a long long time. I am not going to include any spoilers, but suffice to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank you Rick Burlew.

Procyonpi
2010-03-15, 02:11 PM
It is a pretty darn good book.

FoE
2010-03-15, 02:42 PM
It is a pretty damn good book.

Of course, Rich probably hates it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatorBacklash), and every time someone posts a thread like this, it sends him on a three-day drinking binge. :smalltongue:

NerfTW
2010-03-15, 03:11 PM
Why would he hate it?

If you're referring to the competition where it was up against Watchmen, he had a point. As good as it is, it's *just* a prequel to a larger story and in no way stands on it's own as a complete work. That doesn't mean he hates it. It just means he knows that it is what it is.

On the other hand, I think linking to that black hole of original thought site definitely sends any author on a three day drinking binge.

FoE
2010-03-15, 03:43 PM
If you're referring to the competition where it was up against Watchmen, he had a point.

It wasn't up against Watchmen, it was up against The Black Dossier. I like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but it's not even close to his best work, and The Black Dossier ain't exactly the shining pinnacle of Alan Moore's career.

And I don't care that it's Alan Moore either. As far as I'm concerned, works should be judged on their individual merit, not because of the name they're associated with. If Alan Moore smeared some dog crap on a piece of paper and offered it to me, I wouldn't exclaim "A MASTERPIECE!" and cut him a cheque.

NerfTW
2010-03-15, 07:45 PM
Whichever one it was up against, it doesn't matter. I didn't say "ALAN MOORE YAY!", I repeated what Rich said, which was that SoD is not a self contained or complete story by any means and therefore shouldn't have been in a contest for novels.

PallElendro
2010-03-15, 08:38 PM
I liked "Don't Split The Party" better. I got it before Christmas, probably awesome, too. I own -1 to 4, and they're all awesome. I'm thinking of "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (Remastered), and No Cure for the Paladin Blues (Strips 122-197 Remastered), where the Order of the Stick, Linear Guild etc. are all done according to art upgrade from strip 1 to strip 197. The only bad part is trying filler for that panel in 198 of Elan talking about the art upgrade.

ref
2010-03-15, 10:32 PM
I would buy that one, because this way I'd have the Haley translations of the 291-300, which are missing in my book.

DrGonzo
2010-03-16, 09:09 AM
I liked "Don't Split The Party" better. I got it before Christmas, probably awesome, too. I own -1 to 4, and they're all awesome. I'm thinking of "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (Remastered), and No Cure for the Paladin Blues (Strips 122-197 Remastered), where the Order of the Stick, Linear Guild etc. are all done according to art upgrade from strip 1 to strip 197. The only bad part is trying filler for that panel in 198 of Elan talking about the art upgrade.

Didn't Roland close a thread about this earlier today?

taltamir
2010-03-18, 07:11 PM
It is a pretty damn good book.

Of course, Rich probably hates it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatorBacklash), and every time someone posts a thread like this, it sends him on a three-day drinking binge. :smalltongue:

its now 7:24pm... I came across this link to tvtropes at 12pm... I have been there before many times, I never learn...
I only stopped now to say that and go to the restroom, then its back to tvtropes for me... I hope you are happy.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-18, 09:15 PM
TVtropes.... Get that out of your quote! And you, delete that post! :smalleek: BURN IT!

taltamir
2010-03-24, 06:57 PM
ill have you know that i spent 3 days in a row doing nothing but TV tropes after this thread... gah!
i was lucky it was spring break.

back on topic... I wanted to order more books but they are not in stock!

well, actually I found someone on amazon selling them for 1000$ a book. (this is not a typo, 1k$). but even the scratch and dent on ookoodook are out of stock...

PS. I don't think rich hates it, it hasn't been long enough... he is just creating more and better work with OOTS... maybe 10 years from now, or if he forces himself to create more even though he doesn't want to anymore, etc... but I don't get that feeling from the work as of yet. Besides, its good work, its work to be proud of. It is one of the best stories I have ever come across... in book, movie, or comic form.