PDA

View Full Version : extracting poison

Reverse
2010-03-15, 10:36 AM
Doing some leg work for our DM.

So we defeated a young wyvern, the DM allowed me to extract it's poison.

The question is: Is there a place or formula that can help us determine how much poison (number of doses) that can be extracted from a creature?

Greenish
2010-03-15, 10:39 AM
Drow of the Underdark has something on "milking" poisonous beasts off their poison, I believe. Don't have it meself though.

Flickerdart
2010-03-15, 10:41 AM
I'd rule you would roll a Heal check to see how much you could salvage without ruining it. Something like a DC15 for one dose, plus an extra dose for every 5 points by which your check exceeds the DC?

I'd say the DotU rules don't apply because the wyvern is dead.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-15, 10:48 AM
I'd rule you would roll a Heal check to see how much you could salvage without ruining it. Something like a DC15 for one dose, plus an extra dose for every 5 points by which your check exceeds the DC?

I'd say the DotU rules don't apply because the wyvern is dead.

I use something like this for my campaign. Carft (poisonmaking) or Heal, setting the DC on the beast HD (or on the poison DC) and you are done.

Person_Man
2010-03-15, 10:51 AM
From the Poison Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0):

According to Drow of the Underdark, it's a DC 15 Handle Animal check to convince a vermin with the Bestow Venom trick to give enough poison for a single dose, and then a DC 15 Craft check to distill that material into a usable poison. Teaching the trick requires the Vermin Trainer feat or a similar ability, such as the vermin keeper prestige class. It's reasonable to assume that animals can learn a similar trick as well if the DM is willing to create such a homebrew feat (or allow Wild Empathy to qualify). Given that it's much easier to make two DC 15 checks than it is to make most difficult poison-making checks, this is a very handy ability.

Telonius
2010-03-15, 12:27 PM
Complete Adventurer has the rules on poison-making under its expanded use of the "Craft" skill. However it doesn't really say how much of the raw materials are needed to make the craft check.

I made up some (absolutely unofficial, totally homebrew) rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89314)for this quite awhile back:

It makes sense that you could harvest more potent (and thus more valuable) poison from a more powerful creature of equal size; it also makes sense that a larger creature will have more poison to be harvested than a smaller creature. So, the new rule is: you can harvest 1gp*the creature's HD*survival check*the poison size modifier worth of poison from a defeated creature with the Poison ability. If harvesting poison from a plant, the amount of poison is 1gp*(survival check + 1/2 Knowledge Nature check), if you are in an environment appropriate to the plant's growth. If harvesting a mineral poison (such as arsenic), the amount of poison is 1gp*(survival check + 1/2 Knowledge Geography check).

The poison size modifier is:
{table]Creature Size | Multiplier
Fine | 1/5
Diminutive | 1/4
Tiny | 1/3
Small | 1/2
Medium | 1
Large | 2
Huge | 3
Gargantuan | 4
Colossal | 5
[/table]