PDA

View Full Version : New Level 1 Character

Superglucose
2010-03-15, 11:09 AM
Ok, so we're going to play in a low-magic game and the GM doesn't want any casters in the party. I also want to play either the party face or the kind of general who wades in with his troops. I'm not particularly well versed in anything out of core, but every book is in as far as I know, so... a little help would be nice! We're probably rolling for stats, so assume 26 point buy.

Mongoose87
2010-03-15, 11:10 AM
A White Raven specialized Crusader with ranks in Diplomacy can do both of those things.

Forever Curious
2010-03-15, 11:11 AM
Ok, so we're going to play in a low-magic game and the GM doesn't want any casters in the party. I also want to play either the party face or the kind of general who wades in with his troops. I'm not particularly well versed in anything out of core, but every book is in as far as I know, so... a little help would be nice! We're probably rolling for stats, so assume 26 point buy.

Hmm...I suggest Bard if that's allowed. Otherwise just go with Rogue. I believe they have an alternative clss feature that boost their social skills, but don't quote me on that. :smallredface:

StoryKeeper
2010-03-15, 11:12 AM
@Mongoose

That would work. Ooooooor you could play a Paladin. Just talk about his code with your DM so that he doesn't come across as a jerk or something, and he should do just fine. Maybe get a prestige class or multiclass after 6th level.

He's got the whole martial warrior thing going on, should have a decent charisma, has diplomacy as a class skill, etc. Sounds perfect.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're thinking "but that's a caster", there's a variant paladin in Complete Warrior that lets you trade his spells for an ability boost, sorta like abarbarian rage but less angry.

Greenish
2010-03-15, 11:13 AM
I suggest level 20 wizard or druid!

Alas, too late.

arguskos
2010-03-15, 11:14 AM
BINDER! They're not actually a spellcaster, and it's logical that people in a world without much magic would turn to other paths to gain power, such as eldritch beings beyond space and time.

StoryKeeper
2010-03-15, 11:15 AM
BINDER! They're not actually a spellcaster, and it's logical that people in a world without much magic would turn to other paths to gain power, such as eldritch beings beyond space and time.

While not strictly a caster, I'm guessing the reason he can't play a caster is because the setting is low magic. I'm pretty sure bringing a binder to the table would be a good way to tick off the DM.

"So got your non-caster ready?"
"Yep, got my loophole right here."

Gnorman
2010-03-15, 11:16 AM

Alas, too late.

Insert sarcastic chuckle here.

Eldariel
2010-03-15, 11:16 AM
A White Raven specialized Crusader with ranks in Diplomacy can do both of those things.

This, this, this. Crusader is exactly what you describe; stalwart warrior leader who charges into the fray with his men. You could dip some Bard and pick Song of the White Raven to gain Inspire Courage if you want to have further impact on your men, but on level 1, you don't have the option; it's either Crusader and his warriorness+leaderness or Bard and his singiness with far less warriorness.

As for Paladin...Crusader is basically Paladin, except with 90% less mystical nonsense and the ability to kick arse with the best of them. Paladin also doesn't really work that well on 26pb; you'll be stuck with low scores across the board. Crusader works quite well as their maneuvers are independent of their Charisma (though you obviously want ~12-14 Cha on a leader-type anyways).

arguskos
2010-03-15, 11:19 AM
While not strictly a caster, I'm guessing the reason he can't play a caster is because the setting is low magic. I'm pretty sure bringing a binder to the table would be a good way to tick off the DM.

"So got your non-caster ready?"
"Yep, got my loophole right here."
Well, I didn't really intend it as a loophole, but more a "in a world sans high magic, people will turn to other paths to power, such as deals with eldritch beings". It's something I'd ask the DM about before showing up, and make it REALLY CLEAR I'm not trying to out-think his rules, but consider the ramifications of a lack of magic, and think about how the world might react.

Volthawk
2010-03-15, 11:24 AM

Alas, too late.

Ah well, one or two off.

The J Pizzel
2010-03-15, 11:27 AM
I third the Crusader idea. Exactly what you're looking for and is insanely fun to play.

Amphetryon
2010-03-15, 11:30 AM
Wildshape Ranger headed to MoMF.

What was it, 2 posts before Bard for the 'no caster' thread?

Superglucose
2010-03-15, 11:33 AM
MK so white-raven focused Crusader it is. I want Strength, then Charisma (hoping for a dip in Bard), then Con, Int, Dex, Wis, right? Keep in mind I'm rolling so as long as I roll reasonably well I should pick up decent stats across the board.

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-15, 05:23 PM
I wonder whether the Marshal class (from the Miniatures Handbook) would be useful. It's what I first though of, since it's pretty specifically set up to be a military leader and at least kind of good with people.

Eldariel
2010-03-15, 05:32 PM
MK so white-raven focused Crusader it is. I want Strength, then Charisma (hoping for a dip in Bard), then Con, Int, Dex, Wis, right? Keep in mind I'm rolling so as long as I roll reasonably well I should pick up decent stats across the board.

Str>Con>Cha>Dex>Int>Wis, I'd say. Well, you probably want to see your scores; if they are particularly low, Cha is ultimately slightly less critical than Con, but ideally you want ~14 in both to benefit of your class features and to have the leadership personality while not being a glass jaw.

jiriku
2010-03-15, 05:38 PM
Crusader+bard+ashworm dragoon! You'll be a cross between King Arthur, Freddie Mercury, and Paul Atreides! How cool is that?

Rainbownaga
2010-03-15, 05:50 PM
I'd be cautious with the crusader in a 'low magic campaign' for two reasons.

1. Crusaders heal people and give boosts and use special powers that are fluffed as 'martial' but are only a step away from full blown magic.

2. Many people complain that ToB is overpowered, and the counterargument is that it's nothing compared to magic. If you play an crusader in a campaign with unoptimized fighters, avoid the temptation to demonstrate that you are better than them in every way.

That said, if your playing buffbot, the only one who is likely to get annoyed with the balance disparity is the DM.