PDA

View Full Version : Weird "Summon Monster" Question <3.5>

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 11:16 AM
I realize a summoner is not the greatest forcus for either wizard or psion or cleric, but my DM said that anyone could summon the Staypuft Marshmallow Man (Ghostbusters) and that it was an Outsider (Construct). How accurate would this be to its type and a better question, what level of Summon Monster would be needed to summon it?

Starbuck_II
2010-03-15, 11:21 AM
I realize a summoner is not the greatest forcus for either wizard or psion or cleric, but my DM said that anyone could summon the Staypuft Marshmallow Man (Ghostbusters) and that it was an Outsider (Construct). How accurate would this be to its type and a better question, what level of Summon Monster would be needed to summon it?

What size one?
The gargantuan one in the movie/Game is SM 6-7 at minimum. It can shoot globs of marshmellow (game shows me). I'd say Entangling Bag + damage attack. Can use the globs to block a door (Ectoplasmic Door or Wall).
It is super stronger. It has Hardness or DR. It can even create mini-glob creatures: Astral Constucts (they are made of marshmellow) at will (Manifester 5) but multiple like 1d4 created at time.
It is weak vs fire.

I'd say Living Construct instead of Outsider (Construct is not a subtype).

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 11:25 AM
What size one?
The gargantuan one in the movie/Game is SM 6-7 at minimum. It can shoot globs of marshmellow (game shows me). I'd say Entangling Bag + damage attack. Can use the globs to block a door (Ectoplasmic Door or Wall).
It is super stronger. It has Hardness or DR. It can even create mini-glob creatures: Astral Constucts (they are made of marshmellow) at will (Manifester 5) but multiple at a time.
It is weak vs fire.

I'd say Living Construct instead of Outsider (Construct is not a subtype).

The one from the movie.

Is it even a worthwhile summon for its size and strength?

He said that since it is from a different dimension, it has to be an Outsider, but I like the suggestion of Living Construct.

and a quick note on the last line, Maug from Fiend Folio is that exact type.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-15, 11:25 AM
I think you will need gate, since IIRC the marshmallow man is a deity (or at least an avatar) i haven't seen the movie in a loooooooong time so I am not sure

Curmudgeon
2010-03-15, 11:27 AM
I think the one in the movie was Colossal (64'+), so it'd have to be level IX just on that score. It seems to be about 8 stories tall.
http://www.tshirtinsight.com/cache/www.teesforall.com_images_Ghostbusters_Marshmellow _Man_Black_Shirt.jpg

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 11:29 AM
I think the one in the movie was Colossal (64'+), so it'd have to be level IX just on that score. It seems to be about 8 stories tall.
http://www.tshirtinsight.com/cache/www.teesforall.com_images_Ghostbusters_Marshmellow _Man_Black_Shirt.jpg

great, might as well not bother TRYING to summon him :( WAY out of our league and probably broken since apparently its immune to everything except fire

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 11:31 AM
and its between 130ft tall to 500ft tall

Eldariel
2010-03-15, 11:33 AM
great, might as well not bother TRYING to summon him :( WAY out of our league and probably broken since apparently its immune to everything except fire

It's actually very immune to fire considering burning didn't even slow it down one bit (in the movie). Reversing polarity/switching dimensions seems to work just fine though so it's probably vulnerable to Plane Shifting.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-15, 11:33 AM
maybe you can ask for summoning an aspects of it, gradually increasing in size and power as you get higher summon monster spells

also consider the malconvoker prestige class in Complete scoundrel

The Deej
2010-03-15, 11:34 AM
He said that since it is from a different dimension, it has to be an Outsider, but I like the suggestion of Living Construct.

No, that means it gains the extraplanar subtype. It would then be a Construct (living, extraplanar). Check out the inevitables in the MM, for example.

Volkov
2010-03-15, 11:39 AM

Peasants with pitchforks and torches should be able to defeat it.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 11:42 AM
No, that means it gains the extraplanar subtype. It would then be a Construct (living, extraplanar). Check out the inevitables in the MM, for example.

That seems more correct than originally, which was VERY iffy.

and I like the "Aspect" idea where it builds up from the 130' version to the much stronger 500' version

and what should its immunities be. I thought immunity to Melee attacks (try hacking down a fricken 130' marshmallow with an axe ;3), ranged (like an arrow will do jack...) and everything (elemental-wise) minus fire (for the sake of making sense and no headaches...) and control spells

and what fricken plane would it come from, because its TECHNICALLY not evil in and of itself, though I may be wrong...

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 11:43 AM
Peasants with pitchforks and torches should be able to defeat it.

precisely HOW MANY peasants are you talking about, considering the damage it did by itself and the questionable tricks the Ghostbusters had to use

Volkov
2010-03-15, 11:47 AM
precisely HOW MANY peasants are you talking about, considering the damage it did by itself and the questionable tricks the Ghostbusters had to use

A few angry mobs should do it.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 11:50 AM
A few angry mobs should do it.

seriously? it's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, the Smiling Face of Armageddon, the Ravager of New York City, the Second Body of Gozer, the Creature That Only Crossing The Streams Could Kill, and you are saying that maybe 50 peasants with pitchforks and torches can kill this mighty beast?!

Volkov
2010-03-15, 11:56 AM
seriously? it's the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, the Smiling Face of Armageddon, the Ravager of New York City, the Second Body of Gozer, the Creature That Only Crossing The Streams Could Kill, and you are saying that maybe 50 peasants with pitchforks and torches can kill this mighty beast?!

Yes, because it's not godfreakingzilla. And it is very flammable.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-15, 11:59 AM
Yes, because it's not godfreakingzilla. And it is very flammable.

No, it is worse. Burn him, and you give him a hard, vile shell. Swarm him, and he will only absorb his adversaries in a tasty rage.

Telonius
2010-03-15, 12:36 PM
Simple. Give one of the peasants a bag of holding, and another one a Portable Hole. Tell them one must be placed in the other right next to him in order to banish the evil.

D&D equivalent of crossing the streams.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 12:41 PM
again, what plane is Stay Puft from, considering the by-canon of its origin?

Plus, Stay Puft apparently can shoot lasers and breathe fire, summon Marshmallow Golems, has an engulfing slam attack, and has Golem, Outsider, and Ooze Immunities (It's a Construct from another Plane and is made of Ooey Gooeys)

*.*.*.*
2010-03-15, 12:52 PM
again, what plane is Stay Puft from, considering the by-canon of its origin?

Plus, Stay Puft apparently can shoot lasers and breathe fire, summon Marshmallow Golems, has an engulfing slam attack, and has Golem, Outsider, and Ooze Immunities (It's a Construct from another Plane and is made of Ooey Gooeys)

Pazuzux3 and get creative

Even commoners can win DnD

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 01:12 PM
Pazuzux3 and get creative

Even commoners can win DnD

Pazuzu? What in the 9 Hells is that?

and true, we have a homebrewed 40th level deity named Bob the Archmage, who's Wizard 15/Archmage5/Commoner 20

*.*.*.*
2010-03-15, 01:19 PM
Pazuzu? What in the 9 Hells is that?

and true, we have a homebrewed 40th level deity named Bob the Archmage, who's Wizard 15/Archmage5/Commoner 20

You can find him in Fiendish Codex 1

Read the knowledge check entries

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 01:21 PM
You can find him in Fiendish Codex 1

Read the knowledge check entries

okay...Rite now, I'm AFB, so for speed's sake, explain ;3 thanks

Admiral Squish
2010-03-15, 01:22 PM
Say the name three times, you summon a massively powerful demon to give you a wish.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 01:24 PM
Say the name three times, you summon a massively powerful demon to give you a wish.

that's broken as all hell...

So would Mr. Stay Puft techically be from the Abyss, although he'd be Chaotic Neutral or True Neutral?

*.*.*.*
2010-03-15, 01:26 PM
okay...Rite now, I'm AFB, so for speed's sake, explain ;3 thanks

If you speak his name three times in rapid succession allows him to contact you. It states that Pazuzu loves to help people in order to corrupt them

Even in his stat block Pazuzu is stated to plane shift/G teleport to you and give you a wish.

Then you wish for a LE candle of invocation and become PunPun, but that's a whole 'nother mess.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 01:27 PM
If you speak his name three times in rapid succession allows him to contact you. It states that Pazuzu loves to help people in order to corrupt them

Even in his stat block Pazuzu is stated to plane shift/G teleport to you and give you a wish.

Then you wish for a LE candle of invocation and become PunPun, but that's a whole 'nother mess.

hisssss....NO PUN PUN!!!PUN PUN'S Chaotic Evil for tempting the Gods!!!!

but nothing like that cheese...

Corbeau
2010-03-15, 01:38 PM
Well, for an origin plane let's look at him. In RL, marshmellos are a gas dissolved in a solid. This makes me think he could be from the plane of air or some sort of sub-plane that mixes air and earth(candy?).

Another idea for type other than construct could be the Living Spell template. This would also remove the origin problem, but makes summoning him improbable.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-15, 01:58 PM
Elemental Plane of Candy?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-15, 01:59 PM
Well, for an origin plane let's look at him. In RL, marshmellos are a gas dissolved in a solid. This makes me think he could be from the plane of air or some sort of sub-plane that mixes air and earth(candy?).

Another idea for type other than construct could be the Living Spell template. This would also remove the origin problem, but makes summoning him improbable.

what? Seriously? Plane of Air?

I thought, since our group made it, the Plane of WTF, a plane of everything odd and obscure

Rainbownaga
2010-03-15, 07:04 PM
Plane of WTF probably corresponds to the far realms. Since he's literally created from someone's nightmares, it makes sense to me.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-17, 11:18 AM
Plane of WTF probably corresponds to the far realms. Since he's literally created from someone's nightmares, it makes sense to me.

that works too ;3