PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Disciple and Dragonfire Theurge - "Sssso, I heard you like magic..."

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-15, 11:47 AM
"...thussss I have piled my magic upon your magic, sssso you can cassst while I cassst..."

Please imagine it's a dragon saying that.

Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages. Outsiders and Eldritch Abominations are welcome too! Dragons are most welcome, to mention the least; from newborn wyrmlings to the most epic of great wyrms in their Twilight!

So I went and read the Dragon Magic book; one of the last books full of rules made by WotC right around the end of the 3.5 run. I saw Dragonfire Adept and I said "hey, this is actually cool!". A scaling breath weapon is at times better than the Warlock's Eldritch Blast even if it's mostly fire damage at any time, the invocations were pretty cool and so on. I saw the Discorporating Breath of Bahamut and said "well, it looks sorta nice, but YMMV"; Fivefold Breath of Tiamat is perhaps the best name I've heard in centuries.

So then I read Complete Mage and took a look of pity at the Eldritch classes: Eldritch Disciple and Eldritch Theurge. I was pissed that Eldritch Theurge couldn't be used for mingling DFA and any arcane spellcaster. Well, that was a bummer! Then I noticed Eldritch Disciple and said "hey, they don't have the same restrictions!" A closer look and an attempt for a build, and I was "darn, not so good as I thought..."

Then I recalled...hey, I actually did something with the Mystic Theurge before...why not make DFA-flavored dual-casting classes!? I heard from the distance ...but recall that Mystic Theurge sucks, UM is best only to advance one side, Arcane Hierophant doesn't help much, True Necromancer is a joke and Yathrinsee is an April Fools' Joke printed on a book!!!; of course, I just have to point that "Anima Mage is awesome, Jade Phoenix Mage is awesome, Ruby Knight Vindicator is awesome" if it helps a bit.

So, I took my books, my templates, and built two classes for mingling the fluff of Dragonfire Adept and either arcane or divine spellcasting. As usual, it is a solo affair; drawing from various places and attempting serious retoolings. I am now doing something unexpected, and presenting a double feature of Prestige Classes for those forgotten Dragonfire Adepts that wish to add a little more heat to their (inner burning) flames (flowing from a magically conjured draconis fundamentum)

Thus, without further ado, I present to you...

DRAGONFIRE THEURGE

"If the greatest asset of dragons is their magic, then I am greater than a dragon!" - Gareth Elmendorf, dragonfire theurge

Requirements
To qualify to become a dragonfire theurge, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks.
Spells: Able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells
Invocations: Able to use least invocations
Special: Breath weapon of at least 1d6 damage

Class Skills
The dragonfire theurge’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Hit Die: d6

The Dragonfire Theurge
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Draconic Heritage, breath weapon|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Dragonpact|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Dragonspell (2nd)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Spell Research|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Breath channeling|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Dragonspell (5th)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Spell Research|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Improved Dragonpact|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Dragonspell (7th)|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Spell Research|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class [/table]

Class Features
All of the following are features of the dragonfire theurge prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dragonfire theurges gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new dragonfire theurge level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class and any one divine spellcasting class she belonged to previously. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of dragonfire theurge to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class and divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class or more than one divine spellcasting class before she became a dragonfire theurge, she must decide to which class she adds each level of dragonfire theurge for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Invocations: When a new dragonfire theurge level is gained, the character gains new invocations per day as if she had also gained a level in any one invocation-using class she belonged to previously (this includes eldritch blast). She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of dragonfire theurge to the level of whatever other invocation-using class the character has, then determines new invocations, degree of invocations it can learn and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one invocation-using class before she became a dragonfire theurge, she must decide to which class she adds each level of dragonfire theurge for the purpose of determining new invocations.

Breath Weapon: A dragonfire theurge’s breath weapon increases in potency depending on the method through which she has acquired the ability.
If a dragonfire theurge acquired the breath weapon by means of the dragonfire adept class (see Dragon Magic, page 25), levels in dragonfire theurge stack for purposes of determining the damage of the breath weapon and breath effects accessible to her. Thus, a 3rd level sorcerer/3rd level dragonfire adept that reaches her second level in dragonfire theurge is eligible to acquire a breath effect as if it had reached her 5th level in dragonfire adept, as usual. Furthermore, the dragonfire theurge is eligible to choose metabreath feats, as if her breath weapon had an effective recharge rate of 1 round.
If a dragonfire theurge acquired the breath weapon by means of another class (such as the dragon shaman base class or the dragon disciple prestige class) or through means of a racial ability (such as the breath weapon of a half-dragon or dragonborn), the damage of the breath weapon increases by one die size every two class levels of the dragonfire theurge.

Draconic Heritage: A dragonfire theurge gains the Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. A half-dragon dragonfire theurge that gains this feat must choose the dragon type to which she belongs, as usual. If the dragonfire theurge already has this feat, she may choose a bonus feat instead.

Dragonpact: At 2nd level, a dragonfire theurge takes advantage of her knowledge of arcane magic and draconic invocations to establish a deeper pact with a dragon. Regardless of the method in which the dragonfire theurge learned the arcane arts, the draconic magic within her and her awakened heritage allow said pact to happen. A dragonfire theurge may establish a dragonpact as if it were a sorcerer of 4th level (see Dragonpacts, Dragon Magic page 87) regardless of the arcane class it follows. However, the dragonfire theurge may only choose a pact offered by a dragon as chosen by the Draconic Heritage feat; if the chosen dragon cannot establish a dragonpact, the dragonfire theurge may choose one based on similarities (thus, a dragonfire theurge with Draconic Heritage (radiant dragon) may choose to establish a dragonpact with a gold dragon instead).
If the dragonfire theurge is a sorcerer, this dragonpact does not count for the limit of dragonpacts she may make. She may make another dragonpact with a different kind of dragon if she so desires without any negative circumstances.

Dragonspell (Sp): At 3rd level, a dragonfire theurge alters a fundamental aspect of her arcane magic to resemble her knowledge of draconic power. She loses some of her flexibility or power, but in exchange acquires the ability to use a single spell she knows when she so desires.
If the dragonfire theurge casts spells spontaneously (such as by being a sorcerer), she may permanently sacrifice one spell slot of 2nd level or lower and choose a single 2nd level or lower spell she knows. The spell must be on her spell list and belong to the sorcerer/wizard spell list (except for sorcerers, who may choose a spell from any list so as long as it is a spell known to them, such as spells from the Draconic Legacy feat or spells acquired from heritage feats); furthermore, the spell cannot have a costly material component or an XP requirement. From now on, the dragonfire theurge may cast that spell at-will as if it were an invocation, using her arcane caster level or her invocation caster level (whichever is higher).
If the dragonfire theurge prepares arcane spells (such as by being a wizard or wu jen), she may not use this ability unless she has the Spell Mastery feat. She must still permanently sacrifice a spell slot of 2nd level, as usual. A dragonfire theurge must still choose a spell of 2nd level or lower that she has memorized by means of the Spell Mastery feat.
At 6th level and again at 9th level, a dragonfire theurge may choose to permanently sacrifice a spell slot of higher level and use a single spell known (or memorized through Spell Mastery) as if it were an invocation. The dragonfire theurge is limited to a spell of 5th level or lower at level 6, and a spell of 7th level or lower at level 9th. A dragonfire theurge is not forced to use this ability at the moment it acquires it; she may delay the permanent expenditure of spell slots and the choice of spells for a later moment; however, once that choice is made, it is permanent and may not be changed.

Spell Research (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a dragonfire theurge may select one spell from any class’s spell list (including divine spells), of a level equal to or lower than the highest-level arcane spell she can cast. The dragonfire theurge may add this spell to her arcane spellcasting class spell list as a spell of the same level; all other aspects of the spell remain unchanged. Dragonfire theurges that prepare spells may add them to their spellbook; those who cast spells spontaneously add the spell to their list of spells known (and the acquired spell does not count against the limit of spells known by the dragonfire theurge). A dragonfire theurge may not use a spell acquired by this method as the spell to be used through the dragonspell class ability (see above). At 7th level and again at 10th level, a dragonfire theurge adds another spell to her spellbook or list of spells known.

Breath Channeling (Su): At 5th level, a dragonfire theurge may channel the effect of any arcane spell that affects an area through her breath weapon. As a full-round action, a dragonfire theurge may attack with her breath weapon and cast the spell at the same time; the area of the breath weapon effectively becomes the spell’s area as well. A dragonfire theurge that has a breath weapon through the dragonfire adept class may choose the breath weapon’s area to be a line or a cone, as usual.

Improved Dragonpact: At 8th level, the dragonfire theurge gains a stronger benefit from establishing a dragonpact. So as long as the dragonfire theurge has the benefits of her dragonpact (or dragonpacts, if a sorcerer), she can prepare or cast the spell-like abilities of her dragonpact as if they were known spells. They are added to the list of spells known (if the dragonfire theurge casts arcane spells spontaneously) or they are memorized as if she had the Spell Mastery feat (if the dragonfire theurge prepares arcane spells). A dragonfire theurge may not use a spell acquired by this method as the spell to be used through the dragonspell class ability (see above).

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-15, 11:48 AM
DRAGONFIRE DISCIPLE

"My words are as cleansing fire upon this blasted earth, in more ways than one. My presence is regal and fearsome. I am the voice of the Destroyer; and yet you wish to disbelieve, you faithless cur?" - Tanya Redscale, half-dragon dragonfire disciple of Garyx

Requirements
To qualify to become a dragonfire disciple, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: any creature of the dragon type or with the dragonblooded subtype
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks.
Spells: Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells
Invocations: Able to use least invocations
Special: Breath weapon of at least 1d6 damage, must worship a draconic deity

Class Skills
The dragonfire disciple’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Hit Die: d8.

The Dragonfire Disciple
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Gift of the draconic patron, breath weapon|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Extra domain (Dragon)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Initiate of the draconic patron, dragonspell (2nd)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Gift of the draconic patron|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Breath channeling|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Divine breath, dragonspell (5th)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Gift of the draconic patron|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Breath of the draconic patron|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Dragonspell (7th)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Gift of the draconic patron, blessing of the draconic patron|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing invocation-using class [/table]

Class Features
All of the following are features of the dragonfire disciple prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dragonfire disciples gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new dragonfire disciple level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of dragonfire disciple to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before he became a dragonfire disciple, he must decide to which class he adds each level of dragonfire disciple for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Invocations: When a new dragonfire disciple level is gained, the character gains new invocations per day as if he had also gained a level in any one invocation-using class he belonged to previously (this includes eldritch blast). He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of dragonfire disciple to the level of whatever other invocation-using class the character has, then determines new invocations, degree of invocations it can learn and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one invocation-using class before he became a dragonfire disciple, he must decide to which class he adds each level of dragonfire disciple for the purpose of determining new invocations.

Breath Weapon: A dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon increases in potency depending on the method through which he has acquired the ability.
If a dragonfire disciple acquired the breath weapon by means of the dragonfire adept class (see Dragon Magic, page 25), levels in dragonfire disciple stack for purposes of determining the damage of the breath weapon and breath effects accessible to him. Thus, a 3rd level cleric/3rd level dragonfire adept that reaches his second level in dragonfire disciple is eligible to acquire a breath effect as if it had reached his 5th level in dragonfire adept, as usual. Furthermore, the dragonfire disciple is eligible to choose metabreath feats, as if his breath weapon had an effective recharge rate of 1 round.
If a dragonfire disciple acquired the breath weapon by means of another class (such as the dragon shaman base class or the dragon disciple prestige class) or through means of a racial ability (such as the breath weapon of a half-dragon or dragonborn), the damage of the breath weapon increases by one die size every two class levels of the dragonfire disciple.

Gift of the Draconic Patron: At 1st level, a dragonfire disciple acquires a special gift from the draconic deity he worships (which serves as the source of his cleric spells and to an extent of his invocations, whether draconic in origin or not).
Choose one of the following abilities at 1st level, and another ability every three levels thereafter (4th, 7th, 10th). Unless otherwise noted, a dragonfire disciple who gains a special gift is considered as always having it active. As well, all gifts are supernatural abilities unless otherwise noted.
Claws: the dragonfire disciple grows a pair of claws in his hands, which do not interfere with the ability to use weapons. These claws deal damage as a dragon of the dragonfire disciple’s size and are treated as primary natural weapons. If the dragonfire disciple already has claws, he may increase the damage of his claws as if he had increased in size. This is an extraordinary ability.
Damage Reduction: by expending a spell slot, a dragonfire disciple gains temporary damage reduction against various weapons. A dragonfire disciple gains damage reduction X/magic for a number of rounds equal to the expended spell slot’s level or the dragonfire disciple’s class level (whichever is higher), where X is three times the level of the spell slot expended.
Energy Resistance: the dragonfire disciple gains energy resistance 10 against an energy type of its choice (fire, cold, acid, electricity or sonic), or increases one of its existing energy resistances by 10. A dragonfire disciple may choose this ability more than once.
Frightful Presence: the dragonfire disciple gains a dragon’s frightful presence ability. The dragonfire disciple affects creatures within 30 feet/2 class levels of him and that have equal or less Hit Die than him. The saving throw DC for the dragonfire disciple’s frightful presence is equal to 10 + half the dragonfire disciple’s character level + the dragonfire disciple’s Charisma modifier. If the dragonfire disciple has the frightful presence invocation learned, he uses this ability’s save DC and the duration of the fear effect extends by the amount of time indicated in the invocation. This is an extraordinary effect (except when using the frightful presence invocation, in which case it is a spell-like ability)
Scales: the dragonfire disciple’s skin gains small but tough scales that are barely noticeable. The dragonfire disciple gains a +2 natural armor bonus to AC, or increases its existing natural armor bonus by +2. . A dragonfire disciple may choose this ability more than once. This is an extraordinary ability.
Wings: the dragonfire disciple acquires a set of draconic wings. These allow him to fly at a speed equal to his base land speed with average maneuverability. If the dragonfire disciple already has wings or has learned the draconic flight or greater draconic flight invocation, he may make a slam attack with the wings as a secondary natural attack (or primary, if the creature has no other natural attacks); in the case of draconic flight, he may use the wing slam attack only while the invocation is active. This is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted.

Extra Domain (Dragon): At 2nd level, a dragonfire disciple gains access to the Dragon domain. If the dragonfire disciple already chose the Dragon domain, he may choose another domain to which his deity grants access. If the dragonfire disciple is not a cleric or has levels in a class or prestige class that grants domain spell slots, he may use the spells from the Dragon domain as mentioned in the Complete Divine, page 20.

Initiate of the Draconic Patron: At 3rd level, a dragonfire disciple gains the Initiate feat regarding his divine patron as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. If the dragonfire disciple is not a cleric, he adds the spells to his spell list (if he prepares his spells) or to his list of spells known (if he is a spontaneous spellcaster)

Dragonspell (Sp): At 3rd level, a dragonfire disciple alters a fundamental aspect of his divine magic to resemble his knowledge of draconic power. He loses some of his flexibility or power, but in exchange acquires the ability to use a single spell he knows when he so desires.
The dragonfire disciple may permanently sacrifice a single 2nd level spell slot and choose a single spell of 2nd level or lower. The spell must be on his spell list (not as part of a domain regardless of how it is acquired, except for the Dragon domain; another exception are spells acquired through the initiate feat) and belong to any divine spell list (such as cleric, druid, paladin or ranger); furthermore, the dragonfire disciple must be capable of casting the spells on his list (either by knowing the spell if he casts divine spells spontaneously, or as part of his prayerbook if he is an archivist; see Heroes of Horror for the archivist class) and the chosen spell must not have a costly material component nor an XP cost. From now on, the dragonfire disciple may cast that spell at-will as if it were an invocation, using his divine caster level or his invocation caster level (whichever is higher).
At 6th level and again at 9th level, a dragonfire disciple may choose to permanently sacrifice a spell slot of higher level and use a single spell known (following the rules as mentioned above) as if it were an invocation. The dragonfire disciple is limited to a spell of 5th level or lower at level 6, and a spell of 7th level or lower at level 9th. A dragonfire disciple is not forced to use this ability at the moment it acquires it; he may delay the permanent expenditure of spell slots and the choice of spells for a later moment; however, once that choice is made, it is permanent and may not be changed.

Breath Channeling (Su): At 5th level, a dragonfire disciple may channel the effect of any divine spell that affects an area through his breath weapon. As a full-round action, a dragonfire disciple may attack with his breath weapon and cast the spell at the same time; the area of the breath weapon effectively becomes the spell’s area as well. A dragonfire disciple that has a breath weapon through the dragonfire adept class may choose the breath weapon’s area to be a line or a cone, as usual.

Divine Breath (Su): At 6th level, a dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon becomes infused with divine energy. If the breath weapon deals elemental damage, half the damage is from that element and half the damage is purely of divine origin and thus not affected by resistance.

Breath of the Draconic Patron (Su): At 8th level, a dragonfire disciple gains a special breath effect aside from any breath effects he may have (for example, by means of the dragonfire adept’s breath effect class ability) that reflects his draconic patron. Treat this ability as if it were one of the effects of the dragonfire adept’s breath effect, including any special limitations, unless otherwise noted. He may use this ability with any breath weapon, not just one acquired through means of the dragonfire adept.
Aasterinian: the save DC of any breath weapon (and any special effect it may have) uses the dragonfire disciple’s Wisdom modifier or Constitution modifier, whichever is higher. This breath effect is active at all times, and a dragonfire disciple may use it in conjunction with another breath effect, a metabreath feat, or a breath channeling feat.
Astilabor: the dragonfire disciple may “charge” his breath weapon. As a standard action, a dragonfire disciple may elect to hold his breath weapon instead of using it; by each round the dragonfire disciple remains “charging” his breath weapon, the damage increases by 2d6. A dragonfire disciple may release his breath weapon as an immediate action once charged. The dragonfire disciple may not use this ability one round after the “charged” breath weapon has been released.
Bahamut: the dragonfire disciple’s breath effect becomes focused, but explosive. Make a ranged touch attack while using the breath weapon; if it succeeds, the creature attacked takes the full damage of the breath weapon (if the breath weapon does not deal damage, it instead automatically succeeds so as long as the creature is not immune to the effect) and the breath weapon explodes within a range of 10 feet per dragonfire disciple’s class level.
Chronepsis: if a creature is within the area of the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon and fails the saving throw, the creature loses the benefits of concealment and invisibility for one round.
Falazure: the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon deals no damage, but instead causes a negative level if it fails a Fortitude saving throw. A dragonfire disciple may not grant more negative levels than his dragonfire disciple’s class level to a single creature. Negative levels acquired in this way are lost after an hour.
Garyx: the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon deals full damage to objects and constructs. Furthermore, if the creature is reduced to 0 hit points or less, the creature is destroyed (as if a disintegrate spell)
Hlal: the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon deals no damage, but instead causes the creatures in the area to laugh uncontrollably. Treat as if using the hideous laughter spell, except it affects all creatures within the area of the breath weapon and creatures with low Intelligence or that are not from the creature’s type gain no resistance or bonus against the save. This is a mind-affecting effect.
Io: the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon dispels magic and deals no damage except to creatures with altered emotions. Treat the breath weapon as if it were the area version of greater dispel magic, with a caster level equal to his divine caster level or his invocation caster level, whichever is higher. If any creature in the area is under an effect that would be suppressed under the calm emotions spell, it takes damage equal to the breath weapon’s damage; the damage dealt is of divine origin.
Lendys: the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon increases in potency against chaotic creatures. Against such creatures, the saving throw DC increases by 1 point every three class levels, and deals an increased amount of damage equal to 1d6 points per three class levels. This breath effect is active at all times, and a dragonfire disciple may use it in conjunction with another breath effect, a metabreath feat, or a breath channeling feat.
Tamara: the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon becomes a breath of healing. Living creatures within the breath weapon’s area are healed by an amount of hit points equal to the damage the breath weapon would have dealt; against undead creatures, the breath weapon deals positive energy damage. Treat this effect as if it were a cure spell for all purposes, except the breath weapon is a supernatural ability and undead creatures are only entitled to the breath weapon’s Reflex saving throw for half damage.
Tiamat: the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon deals partitioned damage. The dragonfire disciple may choose two of the following elements at the moment it makes the breath effect: fire, cold, electricity or acid. Half the damage is from the first chosen element, and half the damage is from the other chosen element.

Blessing of the Draconic Patron (Ex or Su): At 10th level, a dragonfire disciple acquires a permanent benefit tied to the dragon god it follows. Unless otherwise noted, a dragonfire disciple’s blessing is always considered active. As well, all gifts are supernatural abilities unless otherwise noted.
Aasterinian: the dragonfire disciple’s wits become quicker and more refined. He gains a bonus to Wisdom equal to half his dragonfire disciple class level.
Astilabor: the dragonfire disciple’s value for wealth reflects in other aspects. A spell has a chance of 1% per dragonfire disciple’s class level to ignore costly material components or experience point costs.
Bahamut: the dragonfire disciple projects a potent aura of protection by expending a divine spell slot. Treat as the holy aura spell, except the granted spell resistance is equal to 10 + the dragonfire disciple’s character level, and lasts a number of rounds equal to the expended spell slot (a dragonfire disciple may not use 0-level spells to activate this ability)
Chronepsis: the dragonfire disciple gains the uncanny ability to prevent a fatal event from occurring. Once per day as an immediate action, the dragonfire disciple may halt time, as if under the time stop spell; however, the amount of borrowed time is only a standard action, and unlike the spell, it may be granted to a single ally instead of having him use it.
Falazure: the dragonfire disciple gains part of the unnatural protection granted by undeath. The dragonfire disciple becomes immune to ability drain, death effects, energy drain and negative energy damage.
Garyx: creatures killed by the dragonfire disciple are utterly destroyed. A creature killed by the dragonfire disciple cannot be revived except for a wish or miracle spell followed by a true resurrection spell.
Hlal: the dragonfire disciple becomes immune to mind-affecting effects (except for morale bonuses, such as those provided by the inspire courage bardic music ability or the good hope spell) and ignores any effect that hinders or stops his movement, as if under the effect of a freedom of movement spell.
Io: the dragonfire disciple becomes protected by a powerful barrier. The dragonfire disciple may expend a spell slot to activate this barrier, which lasts for a number of rounds equal to the level of the expended spell slot. Treat as the sanctuary spell, except that creatures that fail on a Will saving throw (DC equal to 10 + ½ the dragonfire disciple’s character level + the dragonfire disciple’s Wisdom modifier) take damage equal to the dragonfire disciple’s breath weapon. This weapon is divine damage and not subject to resistance.
Lendys: the dragonfire disciple’s word is potentially harmful to chaotic creatures. By expending a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the dragonfire disciple may “lose” a spell of 6th level or higher to cast a dictum spell as a cleric of a caster level equal to the dragonfire disciple’s divine caster level or invocation caster level, whichever is higher. By each spell level the expended spell slot exceeds beyond 6th, the dragonfire disciple’s caster level for this ability increases by 3.
Tamara: the dragonfire disciple’s becomes capable of healing at abnormal speeds. A dragonfire disciple casts spells from the conjuration (healing) school as a swift action, so as long as the casting time is no longer than a full-round action.
Tiamat: the dragonfire disciple gains resistance 25 against fire, cold, electricity and acid attacks. If the creature already has a resistance of 10 or more by any means (including a resist energy spell, for example) to a single type or energy, she gains immunity to the energy type (this applies to every instance it happens for the four mentioned energy types). If the sum of her acquired resistance through this ability and her highest original resistance is equal to or exceeds 50, she retains her immunity to the energy type and is healed by one point per every 3 points of damage the attack would originally have dealt (again, this applies to every instance it happens for the four mentioned energy types).

Fizban
2010-03-15, 10:06 PM
They both look pretty good. Only things I'd be concerned about are imbalance between the breath blessings, and infinite Heal. Or maybe note. It'd be interesting to see how that would affect the game.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-15, 10:27 PM
So technically a dragon with levels in warlock can take these PrCs? Interesting...

Both these classes looks like they favor the divine side over the invoking side in that you only need a least invocation. Is that deliberate? Maybe it should be a lesser invocation?

Dragonfire Theurge has the odd issue that there's a heavy incentive for a true dragon who already is old enough to have sorcerer casting to take a dip into an invoking class and then take the 10 levels. I guess the LA is so high it won't make a practical difference.

Is there a reason that Spell Research has that note about Dragonspell? Is that to prevent shennanigans? Spell Research would be potentially interesting for a Dread Necromancer or Warmage who automatically get their entire class list.

I'll refrain from ranting about the misuse of the word Theurge since Eldritch Theurge is already official material that does it.

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-15, 11:59 PM
They both look pretty good. Only things I'd be concerned about are imbalance between the breath blessings, and infinite Heal. Or maybe note. It'd be interesting to see how that would affect the game.

The Breaths of the Divine Patron are mostly thematical to the dragon deity (except for Bahamut; that reference lies elsewhere). It's hard to keep the fluff and the crunch pretty tied up, so it may seem that one dragon's breath is less potent than the other. The rest of the thematic abilities should work out, in a way; they get the Initiate feat spells (which have at least spells for level 1, 4 and 6) and the final level blessing which is equally as varied. I'd need a good measurement of the "tier" between the deities' breaths and blessings and a good middle point to which to compare the rest. It's hard to keep that balance between each other and keep the fluff.

One thing I could say, though, is that Aasterinian's portfolio sucks. It is too hard to deal with, since it is too roguish for a class that's meant to be a really powerful magician. On the other hand, Io is pretty powerful.

Infinite Heal is but one of the applications of Dragonspell. You may find that getting that spell as your last Dragonspell may prevent you from a long variety of choices. Heal is not a bad choice, but in many other cases it may be sub-optimal when compared to better classes of the same spell level, a spell level higher, or even a spell level lower.

So technically a dragon with levels in warlock can take these PrCs? Interesting...

Erm...yeah, that's the idea. Essentially, if you get the breath weapon in any other way rather than dragonfire adept, you can qualify with Warlock. It's not actually lost, and it's much more ample than the Complete Mage PrCs since it doesn't dead-lock you into very tight builds.

Both these classes looks like they favor the divine side over the invoking side in that you only need a least invocation. Is that deliberate? Maybe it should be a lesser invocation?

Divine or Arcane, actually. And yes, true on that idea as well: you can go Dragonfire Adept and get a good dose of spells while strengthening your side of invocations, or you can go divine or arcane spellcaster and favor that side. You can also attempt to go half-and-half, but not many dual-progression PrCs really merit equal progression.

Dragonfire Theurge has the odd issue that there's a heavy incentive for a true dragon who already is old enough to have sorcerer casting to take a dip into an invoking class and then take the 10 levels. I guess the LA is so high it won't make a practical difference.

It is an incentive for anyone who has a breath weapon, actually. However, you can't do much with the racial Hit Dice you already have, considering that you also need to get a level on an invocation-using class. But yeah, these classes could be nasty surprises from the DM to the players.

Is there a reason that Spell Research has that note about Dragonspell? Is that to prevent shennanigans? Spell Research would be potentially interesting for a Dread Necromancer or Warmage who automatically get their entire class list.

The only quip about Dragonspell would be that you can't transform these spells into infusions; you can choose any spell you desire though (it's almost exactly as the class ability of the Wyrm Wizard from Dragon Magic, except you can't use those for Dragonspells. Spell Research actually allows those classes to get really worthwhile spells; in-between the Dragonpact, the researched spells and the Draconic Heritage granting them extra spells through Draconic Legacy, they get a potential amount of spells exceeding at least 10. It helps anyone and everyone, even Wizards.

I'll refrain from ranting about the misuse of the word Theurge since Eldritch Theurge is already official material that does it.

Go ahead, I won't mind. I'm just following the official material to make the link between the term used and the spellcasting class it represents. In fact, the "Thaumaturge" presented on the DMG isn't really a "miracle worker" if you think about it (unless it uses Gate, but in that case you're not exactly using a class ability of the "Thaumaturge")

JoshuaZ
2010-03-16, 12:05 AM
The only quip about Dragonspell would be that you can't transform these spells into infusions; you can choose any spell you desire though (it's almost exactly as the class ability of the Wyrm Wizard from Dragon Magic, except you can't use those for Dragonspells. Spell Research actually allows those classes to get really worthwhile spells; in-between the Dragonpact, the researched spells and the Draconic Heritage granting them extra spells through Draconic Legacy, they get a potential amount of spells exceeding at least 10. It helps anyone and everyone, even Wizards.

Yes, the point about Warmages and Dread Necromancers was that since they automatically get their entire spell-lists known they get the spells without having to spend spells known after using the Research ability.

Re: Theurgy- I doubt most people want to here the rant so I'll keep it short. They got the meaning somewhat correct with the original mystic theurge since theurgy more or less means magic done by aid of the divine. Then whoever made later classes got confused and thought that it meant something to do with the arcane side hence Eldritch Theurge. What would have been wrong with Eldritch Mystic which would have fit the naming pattern? Oh right, that would require WoTC to either do minimal research or have whomever worked out the name for Eldritch Theurge to have spent 10 seconds looking up why the Mystic Theurge was called that. At least they got the psionic version correct in that the Psychic Theurge is divine/psionic and the cerebemancer is the psionic/archane version.

Fizban
2010-03-16, 02:31 AM
The Breaths of the Divine Patron are mostly thematical to the dragon deity (except for Bahamut; that reference lies elsewhere).
Totally got that reference by the way :smallwink:. Your post reminds me of another point I liked: applying the breath weapon increase to any breath weapon. This is the only class (well, classes) that actually let you make a racial breath weapon useful. In fact, needing caster levels is almost a turn off in that regard. A minimum of 4-5 levels to meet the requirements, depending on wizard or sorcerer, means that racial hit dice that don't grant casting will probably delay you even farther, so you'd better hope your breath weapon came with a few extra dice to start with. But it'd be so worth it to take one of those piddly single die breath weapons that WoTC seems to think are worth +1 LA and actually make it worth something. A Mephling sorcerer/warlock could get in after ECL 6.... bah, the breath weapon would still be too small.

That's it, we need a proper natural breath weapon PrC, stat. There's a martial discipline around here somewhere, but it doesn't do unless you've already got plenty of dice to work with.

Edit: ooh, this would be nasty with Dragonborn. You'd have 1d8+1d8/3 levels+ 1d8/ 2 PrC levels. Not that crazy in the long run, but it sounds bad at first.

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-17, 07:02 PM
Yes, the point about Warmages and Dread Necromancers was that since they automatically get their entire spell-lists known they get the spells without having to spend spells known after using the Research ability.

I am aware of that (Beguilers do so as well), but I wanted the Dragonspell "infusions" to be mostly divine or arcane depending on the class (Divine on the Disciple, Arcane on the "Theurge"). Cleric and Druid spells aren't as easily broken as Sorcerer/Wizard spells, and are too varied; arcane spells run almost on a single list while divine spells run in too many different lists. I'd say that only a few Assassin spells are missing from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. Any others may be spells usually considered divine spells. On the other hand, limiting the class spells to Core divine spells does bad things to Shugenja, which essentially sees half of its very restricted spell list gone because a big load of them aren't purely divine spells.

However, I might consider a few Bard spells though. Just in case a Dragonfire "Theurge" enters through Bard (or tries to advance Sublime Chord...).

Re: Theurgy- I doubt most people want to here the rant so I'll keep it short. They got the meaning somewhat correct with the original mystic theurge since theurgy more or less means magic done by aid of the divine. Then whoever made later classes got confused and thought that it meant something to do with the arcane side hence Eldritch Theurge. What would have been wrong with Eldritch Mystic which would have fit the naming pattern? Oh right, that would require WoTC to either do minimal research or have whomever worked out the name for Eldritch Theurge to have spent 10 seconds looking up why the Mystic Theurge was called that. At least they got the psionic version correct in that the Psychic Theurge is divine/psionic and the cerebemancer is the psionic/archane version.

Technically, they still got Cerebremancer bad. That would roughly mean "diviner of the brain", not "master of psionics and arcane magic". Much like a necromancer is a diviner of the dead, chiromancer is a palm reader, and geomancer is a diviner of nature. It's a minor nitpick, but a reasonable one; it is very hard to determine pretty unique classes, and Dragonfire Theurge for divine doesn't have the same weight as "Disciple" (which does have a strong weight as the follower of a faith or discipline). I could say "Dragonfire Mage" and work it as it should, though.

Sometimes, though, it's better to ignore those nitpicks and work with what's commonly understood. You can say that "Geomancer" is a neologism for "earth mage", and "Necromancer" is a neologism for "death mage".

Totally got that reference by the way.

I looked around and saw "explosive breath vials", and I was pretty surprised. Turns out, those were basically dragon breath grenades.

But yes, it is that reference. I don't think no one will miss that reference, tho.

Your post reminds me of another point I liked: applying the breath weapon increase to any breath weapon. This is the only class (well, classes) that actually let you make a racial breath weapon useful. In fact, needing caster levels is almost a turn off in that regard. A minimum of 4-5 levels to meet the requirements, depending on wizard or sorcerer, means that racial hit dice that don't grant casting will probably delay you even farther, so you'd better hope your breath weapon came with a few extra dice to start with. But it'd be so worth it to take one of those piddly single die breath weapons that WoTC seems to think are worth +1 LA and actually make it worth something. A Mephling sorcerer/warlock could get in after ECL 6.... bah, the breath weapon would still be too small.

That's it, we need a proper natural breath weapon PrC, stat. There's a martial discipline around here somewhere, but it doesn't do unless you've already got plenty of dice to work with.

That's one of the ideas. Breath weapons are cool weapons, but no one except dragons can take a solid advantage of it. Dragonfire Adepts do, but their breath weapons got nerfed to fire-only, and the main methods of change depend on staying in the class. The prestige class adaptation table for the Dragonfire Adept severely nerfs it, since it's like saying "the Warlock can gain new infusions and its Eldritch Blast grows in damage, but you can't get more than 8 infusions and you cannot choose Essences or Blast Shape invocations". And even with that reading, the Warlock could have a decent advantage.

By writing specifically that Dragonfire Adepts' breath weapons progress as if they were on their original class, you lose some of the unfair restrictions and bring them closer to play to Warlocks. However, that would make it unfair for other character's breath weapons, which the arcane spells and the breath weapon effects, feats and items are meant to enhance. This levels the playing field on most of the classes, to be precise, on terms of the utility of breath weapons (some of the best attacks around, especially with Fly-by Attack).

I can understand that Dragon Disciple isn't proper, but it does offer a breath weapon. You may do something if you know how to leap-frog, though.

The turn off isn't so bad. Dragonfire Adepts already get troubles with their Breath Weapons that only increase to 9d6 (and they only get to 7d6/8d6 with Dragonfire Disciple/Dragonfire Theurge thanks to the spellcasting level requirements), so while it is meant to be the main method of entry, so it isn't entirely wrong that the rest of the creature's breath weapons get nerfed a bit as well. Dragons, of course, will have the best breath weapons around, but then again it's hard to actually justify using a Dragon player character.