PDA

View Full Version : The Dollmaker (3.5 base class) PEACH

Forever Curious
2010-03-15, 11:59 AM
Another wonky homebrew from your friend Forever Curious.

The Dollmaker

http://www.narutoscene.com/pictures/kankuro-puppets-06242009.jpg
"I rely on my friends" -Garen, a dollmaker

Inspiration: I always liked Kankuro and Sasori from Naruto, so I decided to make a D&D version of their style.

Game Rule Information

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d4.
Starting Gold: As Wizard.

Class Skills:
The class skills for a Dollmaker (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Arcane) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2+Int Mod) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: (2+Int Mod)

The Dollmaker
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Aquire Doll, Infusions|2

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Dismiss and Recall|3

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Extend Control(+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|3|1

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Aquire Doll, Puppet Transposition|3|2

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Puppeteer|3|3|1

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Extend Control (+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|3|3|2

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Quick Command (move)|3|3|2

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Eyes of the Doll, Aquire Doll|3|3|3|1

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Extend Control (+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|3|3|3|2

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Living Doll|3|3|3|2

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||3|3|3|2|1

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Extend Control (+10 ft), Aquire Doll, Upgrade Doll|3|3|3|2|2

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Hide in Plain Sight|3|3|3|3|2

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9|Quick Command (Swift)|4|3|3|3|2|1

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Upgrade Doll, Extend Control (+10 ft)|4|4|3|3|3|2

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Corpse Doll|4|4|4|3|3|2

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Two-fold Puppeteer|4|4|4|4|3|3

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Extend Control (+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|4|4|4|4|4|3|-|-|-|-

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Become Doll|4|4|4|4|4|4

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Marionette Finale|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency Dollmakers are proficient with simple weapons and light armor.

Infusions (Ex) A dollmaker can use infusions as an artificer (Eberron Campaign setting, pg 31).

Acquire Doll (Ex) A dollmaker is able to craft and control dolls, simple constructs that can be contolled similar to marionette puppets. At first level, fourth level, eigth level, and twelth level, a dollmaker can choose a doll from the list below, with it's HD equal to the dollmaker's level. For example, each doll a 6th level dollmaker possesses has 6 HD, regardless of what level they were obtained. The dollmaker can only have one doll under his control and activated at a time. If a doll would be destroyed, the dollmaker is stunned for 1d4 rounds and cannot use infusions for 1d4 hours. He can replace a destroyed doll by spending 100 gp and 1 hour of uninterrupted work per Hit Die of the doll.

When active, the doll and dollmaker share actions. For example, to make a doll attack, the dollmaker must use his standard action for the round. Initiating control over a doll is a swift action that provokes attacks of oppuritunity. A dollmaker loses control of his doll if he moves more than 10 feet away from it. Further, medium or heavier armor interferes with the somantics required to control a doll. When wearing such armor, the dollmaker loses control of his doll. Controlling a doll takes two hands to do, meaning a dollmaker cannot hold items while controlling a doll.

Dismiss and Recall (Ex) The dollmaker can dismiss his doll when the situation calls for it. At second level, the dollmaker can take a standard action to dismiss his doll. The doll shrinks to the size of a gold coin and flys toward the dollmaker, arriving in his hand at the end of the turn. The dollmaker can return the doll to it's full size as a standard action. Dollmakers can only dismiss and recall their own dolls. This ability can be used even when the doll is outside of the dollmaker's range.

Extend Control (Ex) The dollmaker learn's to increase the range of his doll's movement. At 3rd level and every three levels thereafter, the doll's range of movement increases by 10 feet.

Upgrade Doll (Ex) Through study and tinkering, a dollmaker can increase a doll's capabilities. At 3rd level and every three levels thereafter, a dollmaker can upgrade his doll using upgrades from the following list if he meets the prerequisits (if any).

Puppet Transpotition (Su) At 4th level, the dollmaker can use Benign Transptition between himself and and a doll or between two dolls at will.

Puppeteer (Su) A dollmaker can exhert his control on more than his dolls. At 5th level, a dollmaker can use Puppeteer a number of times a day equal to his Intelligence modifier with the DC equal to 10 + 1/2 class level + Intelligence modifier and caster level equal to class level.

Quick Control A dollmaker can increase the efficiency of his control. At 7th level, a dollmaker can use a move action to give a doll a standard action and a swift action to give a doll a move action. At 14th level a dollmaker can use a swift action to give a doll a standard action, and free actions to give a doll move actions. NOTE: A doll can only use one standard action, one move action, and one swift action a turn.

Eyes of the Doll The connection between man and doll improves. At 8th level, a dollmaker can recieve sensory input (such as sight, sound, scent, etc) from his doll as if he were i the doll's space. A dollmaker can switch between his doll's senses and his own as a free action.

Living Doll At 10th level, a dollmaker can choose to give one of his doll's sentience as the Awaken Construct spell cast by a 20th level caster. He need not pay the XP cost for this affect, but can no longer dismiss the awakened doll. In addition, the doll is now independant from the dollmaker and can no longer be controlled by him. It can still be upgraded.

Hide in Plain Sight A dollmaker can act as a true puppeteer, able to remain hidden as his dolls do work for him. At 13th level, a dollmaker can make Hide checks even while being observed as long as he is within 10 ft of shadow. He cannot use his own shadow for this ability.

Corpse Doll A dollmaker has achieved a greater understanding of dollmaking. A dollmaker can create a doll using the corpse of any dead corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin. The dollmaker follows the rules for creating an effigy creature (Complete Arcane, pg 153), upon which the creature is treated as a doll, subject to any of the dollmaker's class features. A dollmaker can only create a numbet of dolls this way equal to 1/2 his cless level.

Two-fold Puppeteer At 17th level, a dollmaker can control an additional doll.

Become Doll A dollmaker can fuse himself with a doll. A number of times equal to his Intelligence modifier, a dolmaker can use Fusion (Expanded Psionic Handbook, pg. 109) as a psi-like ability between himself and a doll he possesses.

Marionette Finale The dollmaker has become an exemplar in the art of puppeteering. Once per day, the dollmaker can activate any number of dolls he possesses as a single standard action, regardless of the number of dolls. The dolls act independantly and are treated as summoned creatures for 1 round/Intelligance modifier.

Dolls

Skitter
Small Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (15 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +5 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flatfooted 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/–1
Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Scurry
traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Fast Movement A skitter adds +10 to its base land speed for every 3 HD it possesses.

Cannon
Small Construct
Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +5 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flatfooted 16
Attack: Slam +0 melee (1d4+0)
Full Attack: Slam +0 melee (1d4+0)
Special Attacks: Eldritch Blast
Special Qualities: --
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10

Eldritch Blast A cannon can fire an Eldrict Blast as a Warlock of a level equal to its HD

Crusher
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+20 (15 hp)
Armor Class: 16 (+0 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4+5)
Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4+5)
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Combat Build
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10

Combat Build A crusher gains the benefit of a number of fighter bonus feats as a fighter of a level equal to the doll's HD.

Shield

Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+20 (25 hp)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Special Qualities: Defensive Build

Defensive Build A shield grants an untyped AC bonus to adjacent allies equal to 1/2 its HD.

Upgrades

Skitter Upgrades

Sneak Attack
Prerequisite: N/A
Benefit: The doll can apply sneak attack damage as a rogue of a level equal to its HD.

Death Attack
Prerequisite: Sneak Attack
Benefit: The doll can perform a death attack as an assassin (DMG) with a DC of 10 + 1/2 HD + the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier.

Skirmish
Benefit: The doll can apply skirmish damage as a scout with levels equal to its HD.

Sticky Feet
Prerequisite: Dollmaker level 5
Benefit: The doll gains a climb speed equal to its base land speed.

Shovel Feet
Benefit: The doll gains a burrow speed equal it 1/2 it's base land speed.

Webbed Feet
Benefit: The doll gains a swim speed equal it's base land speed.

Thief's Claw
Benefit: When adjacent to an ally, that creature gains a bonus to Open Lock and Disable Device checks equal to 1/2 the doll's HD.

Knock Hammer
Prerequisite: Thief's Claw
Benefit: The doll can use Knock as a spell-like ability 3/day.

Cannon Upgrades

Lock On
Benefit: The doll can hone in on an opponent as a standard action, granting a bonus on it's next attack and damage roll equal to 1/2 it's HD.

Spell Slinger
Benefit: The doll can cast Orb of Fire, using the dollmaker's level for caster level and Intelligence modifier. Material components need not be spent.

Energy Substitution
Prerequisite: Orb Launcher
Benefit: A number of times a day equal to the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier, the doll can change the energy type of any ranged attack it uses.

Sniper Shot
Benefit: The doll gains a +1 bonus per 4 HD to attack rolls on creatures it is within 10 ft of. In addition, the range of its Eldritch Blast becomes 60 ft.

Multishot
Prerequisite: Sniper Shot, dollmaker level 10
Benefit: The doll gains an additional ranged attack per round equal to 1/4 its HD using it's highest attack bonus.

Crusher Upgrades

Berserk Control
Benefit: The doll can be controlled in a frenzic manner, granting the bonuses and penalties as a rage done by a barbarian of a level equal to the doll's HD.

Martial Tactic
Prerequiste: N/A
Benefit: The doll gains the use of a martial strike from the Iron Heart school (Tome of Battle). The strike must be chosen at the same time this upgrade is applied. Treat the doll's HD as warblade levels for determining what stance it can choose.
Special: This upgrade can be taken multiple times.

Martial Build
Prerequisite: Martial Tactic
Benefit: The doll gains the use of an Iron Heart stance (Tome of Battle). The stance must be chosen at the same time this upgrade is applied. Treat the doll's HD as warblade levels for determining what stance it can choose.

Combat Tactics
Prerequisite: Awakened Crusher
Benefit: The doll gains the use of any tactitcal feat is meets the prerequistes for.

Shield Upgrades

Mechanized Cure
Benefit: The doll can use Cure Light Wounds a number of times a day equal to the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier. Treat it's HD as caster level.

Halt Offender
Benefit: The doll can prevent enemy movement. Whenever the doll makes a successful attack of oppuritunity, it can choose to halt the enemy instead of deal damage. If it does so, the enemy loses any remaining movement it has for the turn.

Quell Anger
Prerequisite: Halt Offender
Benefit: The doll excudes a permenant aura of Calm Emotions that only effects the dollmaker's foes. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 the doll's HD + the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier.

Shield Other
Perequisite: N/A
Benefit: The doll can use Shield Other at will, using its HD for caster level. It need not supply the components.

Forever Curious
2010-03-19, 10:20 AM
Dollmaker is ready...see also BUMP.

druid91
2010-03-19, 10:30 AM
seems good, Why lawful?

Rauthiss
2010-03-19, 10:31 AM
In a class full of nice, yummy level upgrades, 11th level is suspisciously lacking. You DO get a new infusion level, I guess.

With Quick control, your doll gets unlimited move actions. Combine that with the Skirmish upgrade and... Yay~.

With the Cannon, I find it odd that Sniper Shot increases attack rolls against closer enemies. In addition, you do realize multishot, IIRC, does not work with Eldritch blast, since Blast is a spell-like ability (Again, IIRC)

Martial Tactic gives abilities as a warblade of the Crusher's HD, while most other abilities are as 1/2 HD. In addition - "Treat the doll's HD as warblade levels for determining what stance it can choose." (IRON HEART SURGE on a doll makes me lawl.)

Mechanized cure has the same oddness as martial tactic for HD.

That's all I can see after a quick lookover. :3

Forever Curious
2010-03-19, 10:32 AM
Why lawful?

...I had a reason when I typed it...now I don't. :smallsigh:

Forever Curious
2010-03-19, 10:39 AM
In a class full of nice, yummy level upgrades, 11th level is suspisciously lacking. You DO get a new infusion level, I guess.

With Quick control, your doll gets unlimited move actions. Combine that with the Skirmish upgrade and... Yay~.

Specified a doll can only use one of each action type (excluding free) a turn, which was my intention.

With the Cannon, I find it odd that Sniper Shot increases attack rolls against closer enemies. In addition, you do realize multishot, IIRC, does not work with Eldritch blast, since Blast is a spell-like ability (Again, IIRC)

That's why I specified "ranged attack", meaning it can work with ANY ranged attack the doll can use (including Eldritch Blast). Also, I was trying to combine the benefits of Point Blank and Precise Shot in one upgrade. *shrug*

Martial Tactic gives abilities as a warblade of the Crusher's HD, while most other abilities are as 1/2 HD. In addition - "Treat the doll's HD as warblade levels for determining what stance it can choose." (IRON HEART SURGE on a doll makes me lawl.)

You told me yourself, melee needs nice things. But yes, ToB is quite crazy. Will scale if needed.

Mechanized cure has the same oddness as martial tactic for HD.

But now he's a heal-bot...literally!:smallbiggrin: I did that because I'm pretty sure the spell caps at +5 hit points IIRC. Will change if needed.

That's all I can see after a quick lookover. :3

Thank you for your critique.

Rauthiss
2010-03-19, 10:44 AM
Is there any reason you didn't include a swim or fly speed for the doll? If melee needs nice things, why does the sneak attack and skirmish progression suck?

Are you considering adding more doll upgrades? Giving the cannon a warlock invocation or giving the skitter spellthief style abilities would be cool.

Also: For marionette finale, do your dolls automatically activate, or do you need to activate them all with the standard action needed under recall doll?

Revlid
2010-03-19, 10:47 AM
This is very cool. (http://www.narutoscene.com/pictures/kankuro-puppets-06242009.jpg) And seems quite balanced, too.

I'd be tempted to use a high-level Dollmaker to represent a Fabrication Machine-style BBEG, if I was DMing 3.5.

Forever Curious
2010-03-19, 10:50 AM
Is there any reason you didn't include a swim or fly speed for the doll?

Didn't think of it. Swim, yes. Fly...not sure. Considering it.

If melee needs nice things, why does the sneak attack and skirmish progression suck?

I was hoping to have the dollmaker as a support role, able to do nice things like that without stealin the show. HOWEVER, this will change as I'm going over the balance in my head.

Are you considering adding more doll upgrades? Giving the cannon a warlock invocation or giving the skitter spellthief style abilities would be cool.

Eh, too much personally. They have their functions and I like them. I may give them more, but at the moment I can't think of any. I think the ones I have cover the basics, which is what I was aiming for.

Also: For marionette finale, do your dolls automatically activate, or do you need to activate them all with the standard action needed under recall doll?

Edited the main post.

And there you go.

Realms of Chaos
2010-03-19, 06:49 PM
Hmmm... well, as review is requested, let's start this homebrew review. :smallwink:

Another wonky homebrew from your friend Forever Curious.

The Dollmaker

"I rely on my friends" -Garen, a dollmaker

Inspiration: I always liked Kankuro and Sasori from Naruto, so I decided to make a D&D version of their style.

Okay, let's see what we're working with. Nice quote, byt he way.

Game Rule Information

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d4.
Starting Gold: As Wizard.

Class Skills:
The class skills for a Dollmaker (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Arcane) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4+Int Mod) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: (4+Int Mod)

Okay, we've got low hit points (as expected for a class that uses tons of lackeys) and... rogue skills? Some of the skills here only make very tangential sense with this class. Search, for example, only seems to be here because Disable Device is here. Disable Device in turn isn't much good without trapfinding and only seems here due to a dollmaker's familiarity with gadgets. On the other hand, as this guy has magic to create his dolls, it could be argued that he needs nothing more than a well-crafted body, meaning that disable device, search, and open lock (which only seems to be here due to being kind of like disable device) can go.
Even without removing any skills, this guy doesn't have too many of them. I'd recommend reducing the total per level to 2+Int.

The Dollmaker
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Aquire Doll, Infusions|2

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Dismiss and Recall|3

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Extend Control(+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|3|1

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Aquire Doll, Puppet Transposition|3|2

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Puppeteer|3|3|1

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Extend Control (+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|3|3|2

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Quick Command (move)|3|3|2

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Eyes of the Doll, Aquire Doll|3|3|3|1

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Extend Control (+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|3|3|3|2

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Living Doll|3|3|3|2

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||3|3|3|2|1

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Extend Control (+10 ft), Aquire Doll, Upgrade Doll|3|3|3|2|2

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Hide in Plain Sight|3|3|3|3|2

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9|Quick Command (Swift)|4|3|3|3|2|1

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Upgrade Doll, Extend Control (+10 ft)|4|4|3|3|3|2

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Corpse Doll|4|4|4|3|3|2

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Two-fold Puppeteer|4|4|4|4|3|3

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Extend Control (+10 ft), Upgrade Doll|4|4|4|4|4|3|-|-|-|-

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Become Doll|4|4|4|4|4|4

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Marionette Finale|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]

This...is the first homebrew base class with full infusion progression that I've ever seen. Bravo.
One dead level but you gain a new level of infusions so that doesn't seem so bad.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency Dollmakers are proficient with simple weapons and light armor.

Infusions A dollmaker can use infusions as an artificer (Eberron Campaign setting, pg 31).

Acquire Doll A dollmaker is able to craft and control dolls, simple constructs that can be contolled similar to marionette puppets. At first level, fourth level, eigth level, and twelth level, a dollmaker can choose a doll from the list below, with it's HD equal to the dollmaker's level. For example, each doll a 6th level dollmaker possesses has 6 HD, regardless of what level they were obtained. The dollmaker can only have one doll under his control at a time. If a doll would be destroyed, the dollmaker suffers the penality as a spellcaster does for his familiar's death (see PHB pg. 54). He can replace a destroyed doll by spending 100 gp and 1 hour of uninterrupted work per Hit Die of the doll.

When active, the doll and dollmaker share actions. For example, to make a doll attack, the dollmaker must use his standard action for the round. A dollmaker loses control of his doll if he moves more than 10 feet away from it. Further, medium or heavier armor interferes with the somantics required to control a doll. When wearing such armor, the dollmaker loses control of his doll.

Proficiencies. Okay
Infusions. Awesome as stated above.
Acquire Doll: Interesting and logical progression here. At first glance, it looks a bit unfair that your fighting puppets penalize your XP if they die. On second glance, it seems pretty fair when compared to the artificer, who makes XP-draining magic items on a normal basis. on third glance, I remember that the artificer has an XP pool for crafting and that he can't spend enough XP to reduce his level :smallyuk:. Perhaps have the penalty be reduced to 1d4 rounds of being stunned and losing access to infusions for 1d4 hours or something like that. Big deal in combat but not crippling in the long haul.

A couple extra questions need to be asked. First of all, does the dollmaster need to craft his puppets when he first acquires them (like a wizard and his familiar)?
Are there attacks of opportunity for activation? Can you summon the dolls anywhere within range or only in adjacent squares?
Lastly, one very important note to make is that this guy should one (or both) hands unoccupied in order to control the puppet.

Dismiss and Recall The dollmaker can dismiss his doll when the situation calls for it. At second level, the dollmaker can take a standard action to dismiss his doll. The doll shrinks to the size of a gold coin and flys toward the dollmaker, arriving in his hand at the end of the turn. The dollmaker can return the doll to it's full size as a standard action. Dollmakers can only dismiss and recall their own dolls. This ability can be used even when the doll is outside of the dollmaker's range.

I'd add the sentance "If the dollmaker's hands are occupied, it falls to the ground by his feet."
Also, is it wise to let a doll be dismissed from beyond range? It's not overpowered or anything but having a doll zip through the dungeon you left it in at mach five and fly across an ocean (or plane of existance) to meet you within seconds comes across as a bit silly. :smalltongue:

Extend Control The dollmaker learn's to increase the range of his doll's movement. At 3rd level and every three levels thereafter, the doll's range of movement increases by 10 feet.

By 18th level, the range of your doll is exactly the same as a close range spell. No real problem with that.

Upgrade Doll Through study and tinkering, a dollmaker can increase a doll's capabilities. At 3rd level and every three levels thereafter, a dollmaker can upgrade his doll using upgrades from the following list if he meets the prerequisits (if any).

We'll look at those upgrades later.

Puppet Transpotition At 4th level, the dollmaker can use Benign Transptition between himself and an active doll at will.

This is an interesting tactical ability but I can't think of many times when it will come in handy. Using it with an augmented skitter might help you reach new places, I guess.
This thing doesn't seem to have a real combat use unless you have been exceedingly clever, seeing as you don't have a standard action remaining to make the switched doll attack. you could always switch with a doll beyond control range to get distance between yourself and an enemy but the enemy can leave to engage you without even worrying about an AoO (you're still too far away to control it).
What would make this ability far more useful is if you could switch the position of two dolls with each other. That way, your cannon can esape melee range as your crusher joins it, your cannon/crusher can travel wherever your upgraded skitter has, or any of your adjacent constructs can switch places with a bull-rushed shield.

Puppeteer A dollmaker can exhert his control on more than his dolls. At 5th level, a dollmaker can use Puppeteer a number of times a day equal to his Intelligence modifier with the DC equal to 10 + 1/2 class level + Intelligence modifier and caster level equal to class level.

hehe, nice fit.
I just realized that none of your abilities are listed as being (Ex), (Sp), or (Su). You may want to change that when you have some time.

Quick Control A dollmaker can increase the efficiency of his control. At 7th level, a dollmaker can use a move action to give a doll a standard action and a swift action to give a doll a move action. At 14th level a dollmaker can use a swift action to give a doll a standard action, and free actions to give a doll move actions. NOTE: A doll can only use one standard action, one move action, and one swift action a turn.

Very glad that you have this ability. It really allows this class to work as it should.

Eyes of the Doll The connection between man and doll improves. At 8th level, a dollmaker can recieve sensory input (such as sight, sound, scent, etc) from his doll as if he were i the doll's space. A dollmaker can switch between his doll's senses and his own as a free action.

Wow. Something tells me that you intended this ability so that skitters could climb up walls to scout for you or so you could make a doll look around a corner to scout.
For better or worse, that is the least relevant use of this ability. This ability doesn't require the doll to be controlled or even active. You could easily slip a non-active (coin-sized) doll just about anywhere and have very good surveilance, working even over planes. In fact, this kind of surveilance is very, very good as you can observe the area each round (switch to doll's sense and back as free action) without penalty...forever.
Perhaps consider put a restriction saying that you must be on the same plane.

Living Doll At 10th level, a dollmaker can choose to give one of his doll's sentience as the Awaken Construct spell cast by a 20th level caster. He need not pay the XP cost for this affect, but can no longer dismiss the awakened doll. In addition, the doll is now independant from the dollmaker and can no longer be controlled by him. It can still be upgraded.

A couple questions...
Can you create another doll of the same kind to replace the awakened doll?
Is another doll awakened if the intelligent one dies?
Does the doll gain HD as you gain levels or does being independant mean that this no longer works?

Hide in Plain Sight A dollmaker can act as a true puppeteer, able to remain hidden as his dolls do work for him. At 13th level, a dollmaker can make Hide checks even while being observed as long as he is within 10 ft of shadow. He cannot use his own shadow for this ability.

At long last, you are an unseen puppet master. You may want to add that you cannot hide in the shadows of your own dolls or else things become pretty silly. :smallwink:

Corpse Doll A dollmaker has achieved a greater understanding of dollmaking. A dollmaker can create a doll using the corpse of any dead corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin. The dollmaker follows the rules for creating an effigy creature (Complete Arcane, pg 153), upon which the creature is treated as a doll, subject to any of the dollmaker's class features. A dollmaker can only create a numbet of dolls this way equal to 1/2 his cless level.

Nice one.

Two-fold Puppeteer At 17th level, a dollmaker can control an additional doll.

It is very unclear what this ability does. Before this point, there was no action to switch between controlled puppets. If I wanted to use my swift action to make one puppet move and my move action to make another one fight, I totally could (switching which puppet I controlled between this actions).
Are you perhaps trying to say that my swift action could make 2 puppets move and my move action could make my shield heal as the cannon shoots? If so, you may want to clarify the wording of this ability.

Become Doll A dollmaker can fuse himself with a doll. A number of times equal to his Intelligence modifier, a dolmaker can use Fusion (Expanded Psionic Handbook, pg. 109) as a psi-like ability between himself and a doll he possesses.

Okay, this is another first for me. I've never seen homebrew that grants a spell ability (transposition/puppeteer) and a psionic ability (fusion). Wierd mixture but I guess it makes more sense than magic jar.

Marionette Finale The dollmaker has become an exemplar in the art of puppeteering. Once per day, the dollmaker can activate any number of dolls he possesses as a single standard action, regardless of the number of dolls. The dolls act independantly and are treated as summoned creatures for 1 round/Intelligance modifier.

Terrifying, powerful, and perfect for a capstone. Now it's just you and 14 puppets of death. On the downside, you really don't have much to do with your own actions anymore.

Dolls

Skitter
Small Construct
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +5 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flatfooted 16
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Scurry

Fast Movement A skitter adds +10 to its base land speed for every 3 HD it possesses.

Cannon
Small Construct
Armor Class: 19 (+3 Dex, +5 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flatfooted 16
Attack: Slam +0 melee (1d4+0)
Full Attack: Slam +0 melee (1d4+0)
Special Attacks: Eldritch Blast
Special Qualities: --
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10

Eldritch Blast A cannon can fire an Eldrict Blast as a Warlock of a level equal to its HD

Crusher
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+20 (15 hp)
Armor Class: 16 (+0 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+5
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4+5)
Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4+5)
Special Qualities: Combat Build
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10

Combat Build A crusher gains the benefit of a number of fighter bonus feats as a fighter of a level equal to the doll's HD.

Shield

Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+20 (25 hp)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Special Qualities: Defensive Build

Defensive Build A shield grants an untyped AC bonus to adjacent allies equal to 1/2 its HD.

For some reason, the AC and ability scores of your main dolls never seem to increase. ever. You may want to let them a bit more scalable so that the supposedly combat-ish ones can actually participate in combat and so the others aren't automatically hit whenever they are attacked.

Upgrades

Skitter Upgrades

Sneak Attack
Benefit: The doll can apply sneak attack damage as a rogue of a level equal to its HD.

Death Attack
Prerequisite: Sneak Attack
Benefit: The doll can perform a death attack as an assassin (DMG) with a DC of 10 + 1/2 HD + the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier.

Skirmish
Benefit: The doll can apply skirmish damage as a scout with levels equal to its HD.

Sticky Feet
Benefit: The doll gains a climb speed equal to its base land speed.

Shovel Feet
Benefit: The doll gains a burrow speed equal it 1/2 it's base land speed.

Thief's Claw
Benefit: When adjacent to an ally, that creature gains a bonus to Open Lock and Disable Device checks equal to 1/2 the doll's HD.

Knock Hammer
Prerequisite: Thief's Claw
Benefit: The doll can use Knock as a spell-like ability 3/day.

Cannon Upgrades

Lock On
Benefit: The doll can hone in on an opponent as a standard action, granting a bonus on it's next attack and damage roll equal to 1/2 it's HD.

Spell Slinger
Benefit: The doll can cast Orb of Fire, using the dollmaker's level for caster level and Intelligence modifier. Material components need not be spent.

Energy Substitution
Prerequisite: Orb Launcher
Benefit: A number of times a day equal to the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier, the doll can change the energy type of any ranged attack it uses.

Sniper Shot
Benefit: The doll gains a +1 bonus per 4 HD to attack rolls on creatures it is within 10 ft of. In addition, the range of its Eldritch Blast becomes 60 ft.

Multishot
Prerequisite: Sniper Shot, dollmaker level 10
Benefit: The doll gains an additional ranged attack per round equal to 1/4 its HD using it's highest attack bonus.

Crusher Upgrades

Berserk Control
Benefit: The doll can be controlled in a frenzic manner, granting the bonuses and penalties as a rage done by a barbarian of a level equal to the doll's HD.

Martial Tactic
Prerequiste: N/A
Benefit: The doll gains the use of a martial strike from the Iron Heart school (Tome of Battle). The strike must be chosen at the same time this upgrade is applied. Treat the doll's HD as warblade levels for determining what stance it can choose.

Martial Build
Prerequisite: Martial Tactic
Benefit: The doll gains the use of an Iron Heart stance (Tome of Battle). The stance must be chosen at the same time this upgrade is applied. Treat the doll's HD as warblade levels for determining what stance it can choose.

Combat Tactics
Prerequisite: Awakened Crusher
Benefit: The doll gains the use of any tactitcal feat is meets the prerequistes for.

Shield Upgrades

Mechanized Cure
Benefit: The doll can use Cure Light Wounds a number of times a day equal to the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier. Treat it's HD as caster level.

Halt Offender
Benefit: The doll can prevent enemy movement. Whenever the doll makes a successful attack of oppuritunity, it can choose to halt the enemy instead of deal damage. If it does so, the enemy loses any remaining movement it has for the turn.

Quell Anger
Prerequisite: Halt Offender
Benefit: The doll excudes a permenant aura of Calm Emotions that only effects the dollmaker's foes. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 the doll's HD + the dollmaker's Intelligence modifier.

Shield Other
Perequisite: N/A
Benefit: The doll can use Shield Other at will, using its HD for caster level. It need not supply the components.

Okay. Let's take a look.

Skirmish: No AC bonus?
Knock Hammer: In case it comes up, what CL?
Spell Slinger: What do you mean by "and Intelligence modifier"? Is the Int modifier added to the save DC (there is none)? Is is added to see what spell levels you have access to (not applicable)? Do you use it to determine spells per day (not applicable)? Do you add it to your caster level (a bit overpowered)? Can the cannon use it Int modifier times per day (very unclear)?
Multishot: The wording is wierd. I know that you intend to grant an extra attack per 4 HD but that isn't quite how you worded it. Also, it seems a bit wierd that the cannon should be getting a "full attack" at all seeing as your other dolls don't (they don't seem capable of full-round actions).
Martial Tactic: Iron Heart Discipline, not school.
Martial Tactic/Build: Do you need to meet the prerequisites of the maneuver learned?

Forever Curious
2010-03-19, 11:55 PM
Wow, let's go through this bit by bit...

Hmmm... well, as review is requested, let's start this homebrew review. :smallwink:

Okay, let's see what we're working with. Nice quote, byt he way.
Thanks

Okay, we've got low hit points (as expected for a class that uses tons of lackeys) and... rogue skills? Some of the skills here only make very tangential sense with this class. Search, for example, only seems to be here because Disable Device is here. Disable Device in turn isn't much good without trapfinding and only seems here due to a dollmaker's familiarity with gadgets. On the other hand, as this guy has magic to create his dolls, it could be argued that he needs nothing more than a well-crafted body, meaning that disable device, search, and open lock (which only seems to be here due to being kind of like disable device) can go.
Even without removing any skills, this guy doesn't have too many of them. I'd recommend reducing the total per level to 2+Int.
Will do. I made it a wanna-be skill monkey...but you're right that it doesn't fit.

This...is the first homebrew base class with full infusion progression that I've ever seen. Bravo.
One dead level but you gain a new level of infusions so that doesn't seem so bad.
I'm glad for that. I ran out of abilities...:smallredface:

Proficiencies. Okay
Infusions. Awesome as stated above.
Acquire Doll: Interesting and logical progression here. At first glance, it looks a bit unfair that your fighting puppets penalize your XP if they die. On second glance, it seems pretty fair when compared to the artificer, who makes XP-draining magic items on a normal basis. on third glance, I remember that the artificer has an XP pool for crafting and that he can't spend enough XP to reduce his level :smallyuk:. Perhaps have the penalty be reduced to 1d4 rounds of being stunned and losing access to infusions for 1d4 hours or something like that. Big deal in combat but not crippling in the long haul.
Hmm...I see your point. Will correct.

A couple extra questions need to be asked. First of all, does the dollmaster need to craft his puppets when he first acquires them (like a wizard and his familiar)?
Fluffwise, yes. Ruleswise, no. Meaning that he does make each doll, but they are done so without a need of a Craft check or any such nonsense.

Are there attacks of opportunity for activation?
Should there be? I think not and will make note.

Can you summon the dolls anywhere within range or only in adjacent squares?
Adjacent squares. Will make note.

Lastly, one very important note to make is that this guy should one (or both) hands unoccupied in order to control the puppet.
Hmm...I think both. Sound good to you?

I'd add the sentance "If the dollmaker's hands are occupied, it falls to the ground by his feet."
:smalltongue:Yeah...

Also, is it wise to let a doll be dismissed from beyond range? It's not overpowered or anything but having a doll zip through the dungeon you left it in at mach five and fly across an ocean (or plane of existance) to meet you within seconds comes across as a bit silly. :smalltongue:
Will make note. No planar travel, and only within range of control.

By 18th level, the range of your doll is exactly the same as a close range spell. No real problem with that.
Cool

We'll look at those upgrades later.

This is an interesting tactical ability but I can't think of many times when it will come in handy. Using it with an augmented skitter might help you reach new places, I guess.
This thing doesn't seem to have a real combat use unless you have been exceedingly clever, seeing as you don't have a standard action remaining to make the switched doll attack. you could always switch with a doll beyond control range to get distance between yourself and an enemy but the enemy can leave to engage you without even worrying about an AoO (you're still too far away to control it).
What would make this ability far more useful is if you could switch the position of two dolls with each other. That way, your cannon can esape melee range as your crusher joins it, your cannon/crusher can travel wherever your upgraded skitter has, or any of your adjacent constructs can switch places with a bull-rushed shield.
I like it. Will change.

hehe, nice fit.
I just realized that none of your abilities are listed as being (Ex), (Sp), or (Su). You may want to change that when you have some time.
Will do.

Very glad that you have this ability. It really allows this class to work as it should.
Yay.

Wow. Something tells me that you intended this ability so that skitters could climb up walls to scout for you or so you could make a doll look around a corner to scout.
For better or worse, that is the least relevant use of this ability. This ability doesn't require the doll to be controlled or even active. You could easily slip a non-active (coin-sized) doll just about anywhere and have very good surveilance, working even over planes. In fact, this kind of surveilance is very, very good as you can observe the area each round (switch to doll's sense and back as free action) without penalty...forever.
Perhaps consider put a restriction saying that you must be on the same plane.
Aww...but no penalty scrying between planes is cool, right? :smalltongue: Will change.

A couple questions...
Can you create another doll of the same kind to replace the awakened doll?
You mean if it is destroyed, yes.
Is another doll awakened if the intelligent one dies?
No. Will make note.
Does the doll gain HD as you gain levels or does being independant mean that this no longer works?
Yes. Will change.

At long last, you are an unseen puppet master. You may want to add that you cannot hide in the shadows of your own dolls or else things become pretty silly. :smallwink:
I guess...

Nice one.
:smallbiggrin:

It is very unclear what this ability does. Before this point, there was no action to switch between controlled puppets. If I wanted to use my swift action to make one puppet move and my move action to make another one fight, I totally could (switching which puppet I controlled between this actions).
Are you perhaps trying to say that my swift action could make 2 puppets move and my move action could make my shield heal as the cannon shoots? If so, you may want to clarify the wording of this ability.
...wow, I never did specify that, did I? :smallredface: Will clarify.

Okay, this is another first for me. I've never seen homebrew that grants a spell ability (transposition/puppeteer) and a psionic ability (fusion). Wierd mixture but I guess it makes more sense than magic jar.
If you couldn't tell, I'm a weird brewer. :smalltongue: I never actually thought of magic jar...but Fusion is much more awesome.

Terrifying, powerful, and perfect for a capstone. Now it's just you and 14 puppets of death. On the downside, you really don't have much to do with your own actions anymore.
Glad you like it.

For some reason, the AC and ability scores of your main dolls never seem to increase. ever. You may want to let them a bit more scalable so that the supposedly combat-ish ones can actually participate in combat and so the others aren't automatically hit whenever they are attacked.
Yeah, about that...I pretty much took the stats of Astral Constructs (Expanded Psionics Handbook) and made small alterations. Plus i'm not sure how they should progress. Help!? :smallredface:

Okay. Let's take a look.

Skirmish: No AC bonus?
Didn't even think of one...
Knock Hammer: In case it comes up, what CL?
HD
Spell Slinger: What do you mean by "and Intelligence modifier"? Is the Int modifier added to the save DC (there is none)? Is is added to see what spell levels you have access to (not applicable)? Do you use it to determine spells per day (not applicable)? Do you add it to your caster level (a bit overpowered)? Can the cannon use it Int modifier times per day (very unclear)?
That's what I get for not reading the spell...Int doesn't even factor into it. Will edit.
Multishot: The wording is wierd. I know that you intend to grant an extra attack per 4 HD but that isn't quite how you worded it. Also, it seems a bit wierd that the cannon should be getting a "full attack" at all seeing as your other dolls don't (they don't seem capable of full-round actions).
True...will reword.
Martial Tactic: Iron Heart Discipline, not school.
Will edit
Martial Tactic/Build: Do you need to meet the prerequisites of the maneuver learned?
Not unless it requires a minimal level.

Thanks much, RoC. I will be making the changes suggested. Eventually. At the moment I just got in from work and it's passed midnight, so sleep and Pokemon await.

Forever Curious
2010-03-22, 09:35 PM
Bump, perhaps?

Lix Lorn
2010-03-25, 06:29 AM
I detect a severe lack of implanting cannons in your own arms. Sasori would be disappointed.
XD
Is very cool though.
(Temari is better)

Obrysii
2010-03-25, 07:26 AM
I made a similar class called the the Puppet Master (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99883).

I like that there are some very similar abilities (notably the puppet senses ability) at similar levels, which suggests that both are potentially balanced (or very broken), and I like that many abilities are different.

Mine uses a more complicated but more variable puppet upgrade system, though.