PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Drinking

cwrann
2010-03-15, 03:44 PM
Aquarium Drinking is an online graphic novel that follows a group of friends in their late twenties as they stumble, just a little to late, towards adulthood. Happy in the carefree days of their college years they were content to remain children forever, but as the summer of 2009 rolls on PJ, Carly, Jeff, Lindsey and Luke discover that life won't wait for them to grow up.

Aquarium Drinking (http://aquariumdrinking.com)

Domochevsky
2010-03-15, 06:47 PM
There's some ...interesting moral values displayed in the comic. :smallconfused:

cwrann
2010-03-17, 09:42 PM
Thanks for reading Domochevsky; "Interesting" morals indeed. If they started out as morally perfect creatures where would they go from there? Read on to discover what events in their lives made them into the people they have become and if they will ever recognize their moral shortcomings and amend them.

colonelslime
2010-03-17, 11:19 PM
I'm actually enjoying it so far. It has the kind of everyday, slice of life drama and comedy that's nice in between the fantasy/ sci-fi that is my normal fare. Consider it bookmarked.

Also, concerning the moral values, I haven't seen anything other than humans being human. Certainly no Deegan level badness (check out that thread for more info), and so Far I actually really like the characters.

cwrann
2010-03-18, 12:51 PM
Thanks Col. Slime, too describe my characters as "humans being human" is the highest praise I can imagine.

As for morals, everyone has their own thresholds of what they find moral and immoral, defined by the values of the society that they live in, upbringing and personal philosophy. Domochevsky didn't say exactly what he found to be "interesting moral values" and I wouldn't attempt to guess, I'm just glad he found it "interesting".

I'm glad that you are enjoying a reprieve from the usual sci-fi/ fantasy that you usually read though I must admit that at times I am tempted to throw in an alien invasion completely out of left field just for the fun of it.

cwrann
2010-03-21, 04:41 PM
I posted the final page of Chapter 1 today. If you've been holding off to read a whole "unit" of the story now is the time to jump in.

As I move forward into Chapter 2 I will also be reworking Chapter 1, recoloring, re-lettering, and redoing anything that didn't turn out how I wanted it to. Because I will be splitting my time between tweaking Chapter 1 and creating Chapter 2 I will be releasing one new page a week instead of two. I've already gone back and posted a title page to chapter 1. New pages will be uploaded on Wednesdays at noon until I have made all of my revisions to Chapter 1 and have a nice buffer of completed pages for Chapter 2.

Thanks for reading, your comments are always appreciated.

cwrann
2010-04-11, 10:19 AM
I have finally finished making all the changes to chapter 1! I learned a lot (made a lot of mistakes) during the process of creating the first chapter and wanted to go back and retool what I had already finished to give the whole comic a more uniform appearance. I went all the way back to the original scans of the inks and started over. The first eleven pages have the most significant changes because that is where I made most of my mistakes.

I quickly became bored with simply changing the font in the first chapter and decided to make things more interesting by re-writing much of the dialogue altogether. Anybody whose ever edited my stuff knows that I edit with a chainsaw rather then a scalpel.

I am midway through chapter 2 and have decided to finish it completely before switching back to a twice a week schedule, this way I don't rush things, make more mistakes and end up correcting everything in chapter two when I should be focusing on chapter 3.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

JasonDude
2010-04-23, 07:27 AM
Haahaha, awesome dude. Dig your styles.

cwrann
2010-04-25, 01:01 PM
Thanks Jasondude, I'm glad that you like it. Updates happen every Wednesday at noon.

Mathias_Tanavar
2010-05-09, 09:35 AM
Just read Chapter one and I enjoyed it.

I have one question for you and it is intended as a compliment. Did you have Charlie Brown in mind when designing the main character?

cwrann
2010-05-11, 11:13 PM
Mathias; If you enjoyed the first chapter you're going to love the second chapter, read on reader!

I think it was around page 11 when I first realized that PJ bares a resemblance to everyone's favorite wishy washy comic strip star. PJ was actually written as a second tiered cast member originally but I found that his happy-go-lucky nature makes for a nice, safe place to retreat to from the darker psyches of the rest of the ensemble. His look was inspired by Ricky Gervais' verbal punching bag Karl Pilkington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Pilkington). (Albeit a heftier version).

Having said that, I will certainly be putting PJ in a yellow tie with black zig-zag down the middle sometime soon, consider it a shout out to you, Mathias_Tanavar.

Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment. A new page goes up Wednesday and on Friday I have a "Making of" edition of Aquarium Drinking made especially for "Dialogue Free Comics Day (http://dialoguefreecomicsday.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/fancy-joining-in/)" going up.