PDA

View Full Version : Ninja 3.5 Ghost step.

azule74
2010-03-15, 04:36 PM
So I am having a discussion with my DM about the Ghost step (invisibility) and I know that it has been a topic of discussion on the forum in the past. I showed him all the previous works done here and he is saying that you attack while invisible and you become visible. I have looked at the Errata on Wizards website and there is nothing there. Can anyone point me in the right direction to show that the Supernatural ability Invisibility that the Ninja has stays the full round, not that it disappears when you attack?

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-15, 04:40 PM
There is nothing that says he becomes visible after attacking. Ergo, he doesn't become visible after attacking.

Sliver
2010-03-15, 04:42 PM
Ghost Step (Su): Starting at 2nd level, a ninja can
spend one daily use of her ki power to become invisible
for 1 round. Using this ability is a swift action (see Swift
Actions and Immediate Actions, page 137) that does not
provoke attacks of opportunity.

There is no or here, and there is no "Works like invisibility, the spell" or anything that could imply it does.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-15, 04:42 PM
So I am having a discussion with my DM about the Ghost step (invisibility) and I know that it has been a topic of discussion on the forum in the past. I showed him all the previous works done here and he is saying that you attack while invisible and you become visible. I have looked at the Errata on Wizards website and there is nothing there. Can anyone point me in the right direction to show that the Supernatural ability Invisibility that the Ninja has stays the full round, not that it disappears when you attack?

He is not correct, Sage says they keep the status. It isn't the spell, but the Status invisible (similar to Greater invisibility).

Plus, it would be a major nerf for the class.

Optimystik
2010-03-15, 04:43 PM
I don't think attacking while under Ghost Step breaks it (it doesn't say "invisible as the spell, for instance), so I'm inclined to agree with you; but it only lasts for 1 round regardless.

It also seems to be RAI that you can full attack with this thing up, since they made it a swift action.

And it's not as though letting the Ninja full attack will suddenly break the game wide open or anything, they're still a weak class.

EDIT: Oh the irony

azule74
2010-03-15, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Starbuck_II;8084599]He is not correct, Sage says they keep the status. It isn't the spell, but the Status invisible (similar to Greater invisibility). QUOTE]

He will accept the "Because Sage said so" argument. I tried that one already.

While it is true that it does NOT say the ninja will re-appear after attacking, by common consent we all agree that the supernatural ability which grants invisibility, performs as the spell IN ALL OTHER REGARDS (i.e., an invisible ninja makes noise, can be smelled, etc).

Therefore, my DM's position is that, lacking other clarification, we will default to the spell description in ALL of it's aspect, NOT just the aspects that we agree with.

The only exception to this, is (of course) be the specific properties of supernatural abilities, as discussed in PHB.

Optimystik
2010-03-15, 05:10 PM
He will accept the "Because Sage said so" argument. I tried that one already.

While it is true that it does NOT say the ninja will re-appear after attacking, by common consent we all agree that the supernatural ability which grants invisibility, performs as the spell IN ALL OTHER REGARDS (i.e., an invisible ninja makes noise, can be smelled, etc).

Therefore, my DM's position is that, lacking other clarification, we will default to the spell description in ALL of it's aspect, NOT just the aspects that we agree with.

The only exception to this, is (of course) be the specific properties of supernatural abilities, as discussed in PHB.

It doesn't use the spell description at all. It grants the condition. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility)

They have many similarities, but some very key differences.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-15, 05:17 PM
Or if he likes books better see DMG page 301 and 295 (page 295 is especially good, because it explicitly describes exactly what happens when an invisible creature attacks).

I can't really fathom how one would make the jump from "become invisible" to "invisibility spell" ...

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-15, 05:43 PM
I'm reasonably certain that the WotC FAQ says that it works like greater invisibilty. I'd give you a link if I had one.

azule74
2010-03-15, 05:47 PM
I'm reasonably certain that the WotC FAQ says that it works like greater invisibilty. I'd give you a link if I had one.

That is exaclty what I was looking for thank you!

KaganMonk
2010-03-15, 08:52 PM
How does the ghost step ability of the ninja (CAd)
work? Does the invisibility effect end if the ninja attacks,
like with the invisibility spell, or does it continue after an
attack, like with the greater invisibility spell?
The invisibility granted by the ninja’s ghost step class
feature lasts until the start of the ninja’s next turn, regardless of
whether she attacks or not. Thus, it’s more like greater
invisibility than like the normal invisibility spell.

It's in the downloadable FAQ on the Wizard's website, under Ninja.