PDA

View Full Version : Lights off with candles

Ozreth
2010-03-15, 06:13 PM
Anybody ever play like this? Was thinking it could be cool for a creepy feeling game, but visibility in the books could be an issue.

FoE
2010-03-15, 06:14 PM
The problem with candles is that the game table is already pretty cluttered and this is just another thing taking up space. Also, you'd need more than one candle, at the very least.

Ozreth
2010-03-15, 06:19 PM
The problem with candles is that the game table is already pretty cluttered and this is just another thing taking up space. Also, you'd need more than one candle, at the very least.

You could have candles around the room. Anybody ever seen the movie Mazes and Monsters? : p

...if not you should, its a horrible 80's movie about the dangers of d&d and I believe it was Tom Hanks' first role.

pffh
2010-03-15, 06:20 PM
We do it sometimes for creepy atmosphere or just when we are going into dark places and it works wonders in getting everyone in character but then we also use thematic music and other items (such as incense for wizard labs).

Oh and about visibility either keep one candle on a tall candlestick close to the DM (behind his screen if you use a screen) or a laptop if you have access to one. But if you go with the laptop then use a screen to block the light from it from the players so it doesn't disturb the mood.

Ozreth
2010-03-15, 06:24 PM
We do it sometimes for creepy atmosphere or just when we are going into dark places and it works wonders in getting everyone in character but then we also use thematic music and other items (such as incense for wizard labs).

Oh and about visibility either keep one candle on a tall candlestick close to the DM (behind his screen if you use a screen) or a laptop if you have access to one. But if you go with the laptop then use a screen to block the light from it from the players so it doesn't disturb the mood.

Sounds great, I think Ill try it out next game.

tahu88810
Depends on the game. I'd love to do this with, say, World of Darkness. But with Dungeons and Dragons, I'd prefer regular lighting.

FoE
...if not you should, its a horrible 80's movie about the dangers of d&d and I believe it was Tom Hanks' first role.

Oh yeah, he started believing he was his character and killed somebody. A comedy, in other words.

If they wanted to scare kids off of D&D, they should have told them that pretty girls don't like nerds. :smalltongue:

It wasn't his first role, though you could argue it was his first role in a movie. I heard he refuses to discuss it.

pffh
2010-03-15, 06:27 PM
Sounds great, I think Ill try it out next game.

Just be careful. I know fire solves all problems but there is one problem it doesn't solve and that's finding a new DM after the old one burned to death. :smallwink:

jguy
2010-03-15, 06:58 PM
Yes i tried it once. Once. My eyes hurt so bad trying to read the small lettering with such low light. You will want to tear your eyes out

Ozreth
2010-03-16, 03:21 PM
It wasn't his first role, though you could argue it was his first role in a movie. I heard he refuses to discuss it.

Haha yeah he even went as far as to say he wasnt even in the movie in one interview.

The best part is that the profile picture of his face that is on the dvd cover was taken like 10 years later.

Also, the castle and dragon on the dvd cover arent even in the movie.

AslanCross
2010-03-16, 05:56 PM
I want to avoid having wax drippings on my books and table. Plus there's the risk of knocking candles over.

It's also harder to look for floor dice in the dark.

Seffbasilisk
2010-03-16, 06:05 PM
One gaming session I was at, there was a massive thunderstorm, power out, one of the player's cars trapped under a fallen tree limb, so we gamed by candlelight and the occasional flash of lightning.

Very dramatic.

...keep the candles away from the numbskulls, and keep an eye on the pyromaniacs. We like to burn stuff, and an already going flame is...tempting to say the least.

Daze
2010-03-16, 06:22 PM
It can be fun and interesting to use a dark & candle-lit setting, but admittedly it's a bit tough on the eyes if you try to read by candlelight.

When I was a (overnight) camp counselor over the summer in my youth (oh so long ago it seems) we would play World of Darkness (Vampire mostly) games out on the picnic tables at night. We had those big bucket citronella candles though, which perhaps give off a bit more light.
And if we had to read something, we'd use our flashlights.

So there ya go... keep some LED flashlights or something as a light back up... they wont ruin the mood at all. Actually, flashlights can even add more atmosphere. Maybe the good-aligned cleric of the group should get a mag-lite: "I shine my light upon thee hellspawn! Taste the wrath of my 4 D batteries!".
Ever hold a mag-lite? That's a blunt weapon if I ever saw one! :smallsmile:

faceroll
2010-03-16, 06:26 PM

I feel like having burning clutter is a recipe for all the clutter to be burning.

AslanCross
2010-03-16, 06:40 PM
Using little kerosene lanterns might be slightly safer and just as dramatic, though.

Ethdred
2010-03-16, 06:49 PM
You know, there used to be a time when we didn't have to keep obsessively referring to books in order to play the game

Sorry, who let gramps in here

I did once do a Call of Cthulu game in candlelight (and with a _very_ good GM). It was mucho atmospheric. So much so, that when there was a strange noise in the kitchen, no-one would go out to investigate. So I said 'Pah, stop being so silly, it's just a game' and got up to go into the kitchen. As I got to the door, I stopped and suddenly realised I didn't know where the light switch was in the kitchen. So I came back, saying there was no way I'd go into a room where I couldn't turn on the light - I'd seen too many movies!

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-16, 07:29 PM
You know, there used to be a time when we didn't have to keep obsessively referring to books in order to play the game

Sorry, who let gramps in here

I did once do a Call of Cthulu game in candlelight (and with a _very_ good GM). It was mucho atmospheric. So much so, that when there was a strange noise in the kitchen, no-one would go out to investigate. So I said 'Pah, stop being so silly, it's just a game' and got up to go into the kitchen. As I got to the door, I stopped and suddenly realised I didn't know where the light switch was in the kitchen. So I came back, saying there was no way I'd go into a room where I couldn't turn on the light - I'd seen too many movies!

Did all the PC's go insane from the horrible sights before them?

AslanCross
2010-03-16, 10:54 PM

My group doesn't, but the table is cluttered with flammable material nonetheless. It's something I'd rather avoid.