PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]The Unbound Mind (PEACH!)

finalepic
2010-03-15, 07:53 PM
The Unbound Mind

Fluff after I actually finish the class. The basic idea is the unbound mind gains power from sucking latent psionic energy out of everything he or she interacts with even vaguely;touches, sees, smells, is in the vicinity of...

Alignment:Any
Hit Die:d4

Class Skills:The Unbound Mind's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Psicraft (Int).

Skill Points:2 + Int modifier (x4 at first level)

The Mind Unbound
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Manifesting, Power Points|3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3||4

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Augmentation Unbound +1|5

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4||6

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4||7

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Augmentation Unbound +2|8

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5||9

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6||10

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Augmentation Unbound +3|12

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||13

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7||14

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Augmentation Unbound +4|15

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+4||16

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9||17

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|Augmentation Unbound +5|18

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10||19

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10||20

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Augmentation Unbound +6|21

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11||22

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Psionics Unbound|23[/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Unbound Minds are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, quarterstaff, and shortspear. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor does not, however, interfere with the manifestation of powers.

Power Points/Day: An Unbound Mind’s ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points (PP) he has available. To calculate his PP total, calculate his PP as if he were a psion of equal level and stats, and divide this number by four (rounding up). He regains an amount of PP at the end of every encounter equal to the amount of PP this class provides.

Augmentation Unbound (Su):Starting at 3rd level, an Unbound Mind gains a small pool of free PP that can only be used to augment powers. This bonus starts as one free points and improved by one point every third level thereafter (ex 2 points at level 6, 3 points at 9). These free PP may only be used on powers learned via the Unbound Mind class.

Psionics Unbound (Su): At 20th level, an Unbound Mind may manifest any power he knows exsists. This power does not have to be on his powers known list. He pays only the base cost from his PP pool, but the power is augmented up to 20 PP. He may use this ability only once per day, and doing so leaves him fatigued.

Soooo not done yet, but I thought I would put up what I have to see what the fine people of the boards have to say about it,

Issue I just thought of: Out of combat capabilities. Any ideas?

JoshuaZ
2010-03-15, 07:58 PM
Straight off there's a problem with multiclassing. If I take a level in this and 19 levels in psion I get all my pp back at the end of every encounter.

finalepic
2010-03-15, 08:01 PM
Straight off there's a problem with multiclassing. If I take a level in this and 19 levels in psion I get all my pp back at the end of every encounter.

...oh. I can fix that.

Edit:Fixed it!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-03-15, 08:04 PM
Definitely to powerful. It has the same powers known as the Psion, can augment them for free, and can spam out upwards of 5+ 9th level powers per encounter, all day, every day. That's insane.

finalepic
2010-03-15, 08:15 PM
Definitely to powerful. It has the same powers known as the Psion, can augment them for free, and can spam out upwards of 5+ 9th level powers per encounter, all day, every day. That's insane.

I feel it necesary to point out that even without any bonus points from intelligent, Psions of the same level could throw out 17 full augmented level 9 powers per day. At 4 encounters/day (the assumption I built this class around), that's 4 powers per encounter. That seems about right to me. Though, I probably will get rid of/tone down massively the free augments. Perhaps limiting the free augmentation to a few times per encounter?

I also cut back on powers known. Is this a good amount?

JoshuaZ
2010-03-15, 08:56 PM
Eh. I'm not sure I like the after an encounter phrasing at all. I mean, if a 20th level character antagonizes a squirrel they shouldn't be able to recover power points. Maybe just say that 5 minutes of meditation restores them power points equal to their regular Unbound Mind max even as long as they have fewer left than that?

Honestly, it would seem like the mechanic makes more sense for something that works off a warlock-like psionic class and that's been done before. Maybe have pp recovery at a fixed rate? Say 1 a minute?