PDA

View Full Version : Let's play tryout week! AKA: Chiasaur11 hates himself.

chiasaur11
2010-03-15, 08:41 PM
So, as you may know, I finished my LP early this month.

Might be sensible to rest and recuperate.

Unfortunately for me, I'm seldom the most sensible of chaps.

I'm going to hammer out one sample post for seven of these things. Some might have pics, others might not. No guarantees for quality.

But, well, it'll give a sampling of how some of these'd play out, might provide a little entertainment, and lets you vote on what I'll do next with some idea of how it'd go.

So, yeah. That's the plan.

Oh, and if anyone could give the screenshot binding console command for Deus Ex, Fallout 3, or Republic Commando, I'd be very grateful.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-15, 11:30 PM
As I can hardly even finish one let's play, I hate you too, by the way. :smallannoyed:

:smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2010-03-16, 12:56 AM
"Sir, I do feel..."

"I don't care how many odd lights turn up in the night sky, the day sky, or your bathroom. We. Are. Not. Calling. In. X-COM."

"But their record..."

"Is nearly flawless. Less than a dozen missions abandoned, none lost. Fifty large scale conflicts resolved in as many years, leaving out the numerous ops left off the books. The answer is still no."

"Why not? The police can't handle this kind of thing, and we don't want to owe Marsec."

"We don't want to owe X-Com either. You've never been near an X-Com mission. You were born after the disaster. And you've never been offworld, right?"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Just listen. You heard the benefits already. Now, here's the drawbacks, the ones they leave out of the holovids. When we 'won' the mess off the Gulf of Mexico, the seas got polluted. Mass extinction on a scale not seen since humanity started walking the Earth, and we're only now even beginning to have an idea how to fix it. X-Com's fault. And that was one of their nicer ones. Killboards at the bases, so I'm told, have species made extinct proudly listed right next to rank. Colonies evacuate before routine inspections, and count themselves lucky if they have less than a billion in damages."

"You're exaggerating."

"Not one word. We're lucky to have them, I suppose, but they have a stockpile of weapons built to detonate SUNS growing every day. They're drunken maniacs who reduce the riches of millions of years of civilization to a series of high powered explosive devices. "

"Look, we can regulate them. Street legal gear only, a base in the slums to make sure they don't go mess with the important people, strict operating orders regarding minimum force. And they can keep the mutants and the bots in line. Sectoids practically worship X-Com troopers, and I figure the halfsies can't be much different."

"No way it'll work. First whiff of an Ethereal agent, or a shadow that looks like a Chryssalid, and Mega Primus burns. No."

"In case you hadn't noticed, sir, this is a democracy. And I don't think we have another option. The rest of the Senate seems to agree."

"Then be prepared for my char broiled corpse to be telling your char broiled corpse, 'I told you so'."

"Heh. I'd hope to avoid that course, sir."

"I'll tell whatever new explosives X-Com invents that. I'm sure they'll listen."

factotum
2010-03-16, 02:29 AM
That'll be X-Com: Apocalypse, then. I always thought it was the best in the series, heretical though that opinion might be...at least when you shot out the supports of something in Apocalypse, everything above it came crashing down! Took out a few aliens that way, too.

Cristo Meyers
2010-03-16, 10:21 AM
Oh, and if anyone could give the screenshot binding console command for Deus Ex, Fallout 3, or Republic Commando, I'd be very grateful.

I just used the Print Screen to take screenshots for my Wasteland Challenge Fallout 3 LP. Seemed to work well enough.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-16, 02:34 PM
That'll be X-Com: Apocalypse, then. I always thought it was the best in the series, heretical though that opinion might be...at least when you shot out the supports of something in Apocalypse, everything above it came crashing down! Took out a few aliens that way, too.

Ah yes, X-com Apocalypse.... My attempt at finishing a Let's play by trying to dump half the work on someone else.

Good times.

You should LP this, then Interceptor, and you'll have done all 4 of the X-COM games. :smalltongue:

@V Predator?

chiasaur11
2010-03-16, 02:35 PM
Attention, all you Yautjas with a free weekend!

Seen all the "Cool kids" coming back with exciting trophies while you sit on cattle skulls like a CHUMP?

Wishing you could be A REAL MAN?

Then we have a deal for YOU!

We all know that two hunts compete for the number one title, again and again. Some say Xenomorphic hive minded parasites give a thrill unrivaled by any other. Others argue the most dangerous game of all... is man.

Getting to hunt one or the other was a dream out of the reach of any ordinary workaday schmuck, restricted to the professional hunters.

So, what if if were to offer you an opportunity to hunt both?

For a nominal fee, the bureau of fish and game is offering the hunt of a lifetime! Fight Colonial Marines, Corporate Security, AND maybe, if you're lucky, a Queen Xenomorph!

What do you have to lose? Sign up today!

Flickerdart
2010-03-16, 05:19 PM
AvP, fun, fun. I still say X-com.

chiasaur11
2010-03-17, 05:19 PM
Now, you've heard it before. Some men are born great. Some achieve greatness. Some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

Now, what you see less often is a fellow going up to greatness, grabbing it by the unmentionables, and punching greatness's face until it settles down and admits that fellow is the toughest son of a deathclaw ever to stroll his way into the capital wastes. Didn't think it was possible until I heard the story I'm telling you, and I heard it from a Brotherhood of Steel Paladin, which tends to lend the story the tiniest bit of verisimilitude.

Now, the fellow I'm talking about, Jenkins I think he was called, probably had a father, mother, childhood, the usual set. And, judging from the oldest reports, he wore an old Vault jumpsuit, so maybe he was from one of them social experiments they started before the sky cracked open. I mean, seems more likely than the folks saying he was the illegitimate son of a supermutant and a behemoth robot from the midwest. And don't ask me who the mother would be, I ain't got any more of an idea than you do, an' I'd want to think about it less.

So, any which way he came to these wastes, government genetic experiment, nightmarish spawn of the bomb, robot, he was first seen down by Megaton. And by the time he was gone, well, nobody'd be forgetting the sight of him any time soon.

xp194
2010-03-17, 07:14 PM
That's Fallout 3 then...

Where exactly are you going with this, Chiasaur?

smuchmuch
2010-03-17, 07:29 PM
I think he's just trying different games to see what he's feeling like doing in his next let's play.
Personaly,from what I see now, I say go with XCOm apocalypse through predator eyes, it seems like the potentialy better.

Triaxx
2010-03-17, 07:39 PM
Oooh, Predator in the Wasteland. Plasma Rifle, Deathclaw Gauntlet, and Chinese Stealth Suit only. :D\

But I vote X-Com.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 07:41 PM
If he did Fallout 3, would the demon Mercenary dude come back?
So he is trying out different story telling methods?

chiasaur11
2010-03-17, 08:55 PM
So, uh, anyone want pics for the rest of the week?

I think I could handle it, if that was requested, but if no-one cares, I'll delay the hassle until I actually start the thing(s).

smuchmuch
2010-03-17, 11:48 PM
In your own time.
Personaly no particular need for pictures until you acually start on a game

factotum
2010-03-18, 02:36 AM
Yeah, agreed. And I still think X-Com is the choice of the ones you've listed so far, but I suppose we ought to have some sort of vote once you've done all of them!

tarbrush
2010-03-18, 07:11 AM
Do x-com! I just got it on steam and have yet to remember how to actually play it!

Winterwind
2010-03-18, 07:16 AM
If you are not yet tired of being constantly pressed into the various X-Com titles, that has my vote as well. :smallwink:

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-18, 07:16 AM

I still vote ScreenHunter. Easy as cake.

Coidzor
2010-03-18, 08:43 AM
Interesting idea, how many are you considering again?

chiasaur11
2010-03-18, 10:30 PM
Session One:

Interviewer: Ah. RC 1262. I presume you know why you're here.

1262: So, you're finally looking into the allegations of Sev being a dirty bacta hog. I tried to warn him, but here we are. My own pod brother, too. Well, I'll tell you what I can.

Interviewer: What are you talking about?

1262: Sev. You know, the scary guy with the sniper rifle? Armor painted red...

Well, I hope it's paint.

Interviewer: You mean 1207? This does concern him, but only in a general sense. And it has nothing to do with bacta usage. We just want to know why your squad is so successful.

1262: Ask Boss about that. He's the leader. I just make things go boom.

Interviewer: We already interviewed 1138. We want your opinion on this?

1262: You want to know what I think?

Interviewer: Well, yes.

1262: I think I should really get back to killing clankers.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-18, 10:34 PM
Oh boy, Republic Commando!

I vote for that.

factotum
2010-03-19, 02:18 AM
Do x-com! I just got it on steam and have yet to remember how to actually play it!

Point the end that goes bang at the things that came out of the round flying objects. :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2010-03-19, 06:29 PM
Point the end that goes bang at the things that came out of the round flying objects. :smallbiggrin:

Then die.

Repeatedly.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-19, 06:39 PM
Republic Commando bit

I don't think you quite captured Scorch. I, for one, didn't giggle like mad as I usually do. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2010-03-19, 06:43 PM
I don't think you quite captured Scorch. I, for one, didn't giggle like mad as I usually do. :smalltongue:

See?

This is the kind of input I need. Really, seeing weaknesses pointed out before I start is why I'm doing this thing.

Any more specific tips?

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-19, 06:45 PM
Any more specific tips?

Nope. I've now become completely useless as I started remembering Republic Commando.

"Wait. Is it red-red-green or red-green-red?"

Oh Scorch, you so crazy. :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2010-03-19, 09:16 PM
Claims Report:

I'm sorry if this report is poorly formatted, General Kraid, Sir, but I request lenience on that count. You see, I don't normally write these things. In fact, I try to avoid any contact with paperwork.

Unfortunately, everyone who is better at this than I am is dead. And before you ask, yes, that includes Yarnic. It seems The Hunter does not, in fact, consider it bad luck to kill someone wearing a monocle.

So, the damages:

At least eighty trained fighters. Valued at five or six credits a head.

The entire Frigate Orpheon. No idea to the exact value, but I'll ballpark. Couple of billion credits? More if anyone bothered to clean the vent ducts.

Several very valuable research specimens. I only went to the storage area once, so I have no idea how valuable.( Vortak got ripped in two by general Ridley for incompetence, and I had to take up his shift until a new janitor could be found.) Still, let's say "Value Inestimable" and leave it at that.

Sidehopper Station: Another couple of billion credits. Once again, IT WAS DEFINITELY ENTIRELY THE WORK OF THE HUNTER, and there is no way a simple janitor could, in one day of work, accidently allow the destruction of several major research stations, while sending an SOS that attracted the attention of

General Ridley and his new cybernetic enhancements. Worth more than everything else put together, presumably.

Well, he might have made it out when the ship exploded. I... sincerely hope so. Really.

Surviving assets: All surface research establishments, a half dozen or so crewmen of various specializations, sharing nothing but a firm sense of self preservation and quick access to the escape pods, the aforementioned escape pods.

Of course, I would reccomend evacuating at this juncture, but I doubt even The Hunter would be foolish enough to try to destroy an entire planet's worth of enemies.

And, of course, the disasters were all the Hunter's fault. So, follow standard procedure there, I suppose, whatever that may be.

Sincerely

Research associate fifth class [NAME EXPUNGED]

Comet
2010-03-20, 06:56 AM
Are my eyes going or is that Metroid, as told from the perspective of the Space Pirates?

I vote for Metroid. Any day.
Especially since I used to do the Space Pirate-commentary whenever I watched other people play Prime. I just relate to them so well :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2010-03-20, 06:17 PM
"Trenchcoat Vigilante" leaves ten dead in subway shootout.

Today, in a NYC subway terminal long abandoned by the official channels, an unknown man apparently decided to take the law into his own hands, leaving several small time criminals and drug addicts dead. Witnesses describing the man mentioned sunglasses and a sweeping black trenchcoat.

Although many details were difficult to confirm, witnesses claim the suspect used a high powered military grade Guided Explosive Projectile or "GEP" gun. These weapons are rarely seen outside of battlefields, and the possession of such a device leads to a minimum of fifteen years in prison unless authorized by appropriate federal authorities.

The authorities generally refused to comment, but an unnamed source within UNATCO gave us the following statement:

"What a shame."

Further details will be given when available.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-20, 06:57 PM
"Trenchcoat Vigilante" leaves ten dead in subway shootout.

Would you do the entire LP like that? 'Cause there are parts where it just doesn't make sense to be out of JC's perspective.

factotum
2010-03-21, 03:18 AM
I don't know, I think that would make an interesting challenge! Have the entire LP be from the eyes of someone other than the protagonist.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-21, 10:12 AM
I don't know, I think that would make an interesting challenge! Have the entire LP be from the eyes of someone other than the protagonist.

That's not entirely doable with Deus Ex though, unless you pick someone who's with JC all the time(nerd-dude?).

factotum
2010-03-21, 12:34 PM
It doesn't have to be the SAME person throughout--just someone in each mission who isn't the protagonist.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-21, 12:56 PM
It doesn't have to be the SAME person throughout--just someone in each mission who isn't the protagonist.

Thing is: Most people who aren't the protagonist are Dead, Unconscious or about to be one of those two.

Bouregard
2010-03-21, 01:04 PM

Use Fraps (www.Fraps.com) Works for pretty much any game.

Izual6764
2010-03-21, 03:18 PM
I vote for any game, as long as its Fallout 3.

chiasaur11
2010-03-21, 09:34 PM
Use Fraps (www.Fraps.com) Works for pretty much any game.

Know about that one, but, well, built in systems mean less strain on the old processor.

And a lot of games have that sort of thing bindable from the console, if you know the right commands.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-03-22, 12:36 AM

No console command in Falout 3, just hit PRINT SCREEN.
Just make sure you "run as administrator" to get it working properly.

chiasaur11
2010-03-22, 12:53 AM
See this?

This is why I try to avoid working for the corps.

They promise the world, you wind up abandoned in a back alley or a private waste disposal facility with medical bots prepared to leave you as a sample for some under the table testing.

Well, at least Diego provided the neural net he promised. Lead pipe and that bit of tech got me out, at least.

Funny. Most horror stories I've heard don't include the client paying. And usually there's a doctor somewhere, even if he's just remote observing.

Well, the sort of guy who'd hire a hacker after his own corp is seldom the most stable type. Probably a loyalty test or something equally insane.

Well, hacker, look on the bright side.

Cameras are on. Gotta be someone getting the signal.

smuchmuch
2010-03-23, 06:10 PM
Oh, System shock. That's good too. But somehow I'd see the hacker as more worried under pressure. I mean he's not supposed to be a seasoned soldier like system shock 2's protagonist.

factotum
2010-03-24, 02:29 AM
Oh, System shock. That's good too. But somehow I'd see the hacker as more worried under pressure. I mean he's not supposed to be a seasoned soldier like system shock 2's protagonist.

At the beginning of the game he probably doesn't understand the real horror of what's been happening. Let's face it, you don't find your first mangled corpse until you've left the medical bay...

SparkMandriller
2010-03-24, 03:00 AM

Doesn't Deus Ex have a screenshot key in the controls? No console required.

Mewtarthio
2010-03-24, 11:19 AM
For the record, my vote is for either Metriod Prime or Deus Ex. Mainly because of the unique perspective in the samples.

chiasaur11
2010-03-24, 01:05 PM
Okay then, I'll start tallying votes.

Mind, for Prime I'd need someone else with Trilogy to send friend vouchers. Code up soon if'n anyone could supply them.

Mewtarthio
2010-03-25, 01:45 PM
I have Corruption. Does that work?

chiasaur11
2010-03-25, 01:51 PM
I have Corruption. Does that work?

No, sadly.

Dangit, why'd they bring back that system? It was moronic the first time!

Rama
2010-03-25, 04:52 PM
I vote Deus Ex!

smuchmuch
2010-03-25, 04:59 PM
I renew my vote for x com with system shock in second.

Coidzor
2010-03-26, 12:53 AM
I vote Deus Ex, since I missed it the first time around.

System shock holds a bit of nostalgia for me though, so that seems like it'd be fun. I'd like to see your take on it.

Izual6764
2010-03-26, 01:11 AM
Just to remind you, my vote goes to Fallout 3.

Sanzh
2010-03-26, 01:20 AM
I'd like to see Deus Ex. Because a silent takedown is the most silent takedown.

factotum
2010-03-26, 02:24 AM
I'll change my vote from X-Com to System Shock, I think. X-Com is awesome, this much is true, but System Shock is...er...awesomer?

Mewtarthio
2010-03-26, 09:43 AM
Well, if Metroid Prime is going to impossible thanks to Nintendo's weird beliefs re: the power of friendship, I'm solidifying my vote for Deus Ex.

chiasaur11
2010-03-27, 12:57 AM
So, as it stands right now, votes seem to fall somewhere around:

Deus Ex

X-Com

System Shock

Sound right?

Start working on that soonish.