PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 E New Monster: Miseralmus PEACH

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-15, 10:32 PM
Second post. Here is another homebrew for DND 3.5 that I was using for the campaign setting me and friends are working on. I call this Miseralmus, which is a bastardization on the latin translation for "Wretched Mouse". They really aren't "rats" or "mice" so to speak I just used the term "Wretched Mouse" simply because that is what my colleagues saw them as when I first showed them. In general they are based off of an sketch done by artists at what a ptreodactyl may have looked like; of course at the time they thought a ptreodactyl was a flying marsupial type of creature (as we now know those scientists were mistaken). You can find the orginal picture on the web but I did a color photoshopped/colored version of the monster... image is a bit big so im just going to post the link:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/729/miseralmus.jpg

I was designing these to be bat like creatures so they would come in swarms but could also appear solitary, so in time they would first start out as an enemy for weaker characters by appearing solitary and over time a dm could add more and more until it is eventually a swarm and still be some what of a challenge for a party. anyway here it goes... Miseralmus the strange flying marsupials

Miseralmus
Size/Type: Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d10+6 (24 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 60 ft. (Average)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 Dex, +2 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d8+1)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d8+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison Bite, Blood Draining, Flyby Attack
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Resistance vs poison +5
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +14, Spot +14
Feats: Flyby Attack, Blindsense 80ft, Hover
Environment: Nocturnal Warm Jungles climates caves and dungeons
Organization: Solitary or in large groups and swarms
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: None
Alignment: True Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Blood Drain (Ex)

While attached a miseralmus can suck blood from a living victim with its sharp teeth. as long as its clung on to a foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the miseralmus gains 5 temporary hit points

Attach (Ex)

when a miseralmus hits with a bite attack, it can use its powerful fangs to latch onto the opponent’s body and automatically deals bite damage each round it remains attached. An attached miseralmus loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. An attached miseralmus can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached miseralmus through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature. While attached a miseralmus can make a bite attack can opt to either blood drain or inject poison into the creature.

Poison (Ex)

Injury, Fortitude DC 13, initial damage 1d4 Dex, secondary damage 2d4 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus

Miseralmus are giant bat like flying marsupials that can stand to be up to 5-6 feet tall in length and have large wingspans. These creatures have a poisonous bite and a thirst for blood. They are nocturnal creatures that inhabit warm jungles and roam at night; they have also been known to inhabit dungeons. Miseralmus are omnivorous but mostly prefer meet and blood in their appetite. They more often then not hunt in swarms or packs as opposed to solitary They have an excellent sense of hearing and can hear many things from far away.The long rat like marsupials have dark brownish gray fur, dark brown wings, and claws similar to a bat. They make very loud high pitched squeaking noises when alerted and often opt to attack territory trespassers as opposed to fleeing.

Debihuman
2010-03-15, 11:03 PM
Not a bad name although it appears that you used a Stirge as the basis for this creature. Unfortunately, that led you a bit astray.

If this is an Animal it should have low-light vision rather than Darkvision. Also, Flight speed is way too fast for most flying animals.

Animals have a BAB progression of 3/4 like a Cleric. A 3 HD Animal has a BAB of +2. As a result, the Grapple is +3.

If this is a nocturnal animal, you can give it Blindsense like a bat but with a larger range. Bats only have a 20 foot range.

Blindsense (Ex): A miseralmus notices and locates creatures within 30 feet. Opponents still have 100% concealment against a creature with blindsense.

Space/Reach is standardized based on size. Medium creatures are 5 ft./5 ft.

If you want to give them a racial bonus on Listen, that goes in the Skills section, not in the Special Abilities.

Skills: Miseralmuses have a +10 racial bonus to Listen due to their exceptionally large ears which they can turn independently to focus on sounds.

Just a few suggestions and corrections.

Debby

sigurd
2010-03-15, 11:43 PM
Why not make it an aberration to give you some more freedom.

Sigurd

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-15, 11:46 PM
Not a bad name although it appears that you used a Stirge as the basis for this creature. Unfortunately, that led you a bit astray.

If this is an Animal it should have low-light vision rather than Darkvision. Also, Flight speed is way too fast for most flying animals.

Animals have a BAB progression of 3/4 like a Cleric. A 3 HD Animal has a BAB of +2. As a result, the Grapple is +3.

If this is a nocturnal animal, you can give it Blindsense like a bat but with a larger range. Bats only have a 20 foot range.

Blindsense (Ex): A miseralmus notices and locates creatures within 30 feet. Opponents still have 100% concealment against a creature with blindsense.

Space/Reach is standardized based on size. Medium creatures are 5 ft./5 ft.

If you want to give them a racial bonus on Listen, that goes in the Skills section, not in the Special Abilities.

Skills: Miseralmuses have a +10 racial bonus to Listen due to their exceptionally large ears which they can turn independently to focus on sounds.

Just a few suggestions and corrections.

Debby

Yes the flight speed was a bit too fast, my friend insisted he said it was a Good flight speed when me and him were Instant messaging I believe he made a typo though and never corrected it so I'll look into that (want to get a few other comments suggestions and ideas though first before polishing this)

Very good suggestion with the blind sight I believe I will take that suggestion for the final version, and your corrections are correct.

The grapple your right on... I was hoping to give it a bit of a higher grapple though since he needs it for blood sucking if im not mistaken. By the way thanks for all the input on my stuff, very helpful :)

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-15, 11:49 PM
Why not make it an aberration to give you some more freedom.

Sigurd

Well its type was a little hard to work... at first we were thinking magical beast and abberations and other things a lot of people who I showed this to prior to my coming here on Giant in the playground wanted to be able to have one as a pet or to have one be trained. Which I actually didn't think would be a too bad of an idea... I mean can you imagine a kobold riding this thing with like a javelin out or something? lol of course then again it may not be able to carry the weight of a kobold but yeah that's why I had it as an animal. It also made sense since it is based off an actual scientific look on Ptreosaurs. Abberation would definitely give me more freedom though

Debihuman
2010-03-16, 08:48 AM
I just realized it has Improved Grapple as a feat. That gives it +4 to grapple so it effectively has +7 as grapple but only a +3 as a grapple base. Also, it can't have Improved Grapple as a normal feat because it doesn't meet the prerequisite of having Unarmed Strike. Another feat you may want to consider is Flyby Attack. It is listed in Monster Feats.

Debby

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-16, 10:43 AM
I just realized it has Improved Grapple as a feat. That gives it +4 to grapple so it effectively has +7 as grapple but only a +3 as a grapple base. Also, it can't have Improved Grapple as a normal feat because it doesn't meet the prerequisite of having Unarmed Strike. Another feat you may want to consider is Flyby Attack. It is listed in Monster Feats.

Debby

That is very true... I did not think of that, although it should have some sort of bonus to grapple. Flyby attack... let me check the SRD that actually sounds good. I mean I could just solve the improved grapple issue by giving him unarmed strike then again is that even possible considering he doesen't have wings. Im sure there must be a monster, winged creature, or hand less monster version of improved grapple.

Yeah just looked at the SRD flyby attack seems most reasonable. Looking at the SRD for Improved Unarmed Strike as a feat... doesen't say anything about restriction it says the target is considered always armed...

Now Natural weaons I believe are like that too (creatures with natural weapons are considered always armed) and Miseralmus has a bite attack. Would that mean he should/could get improved unarmed strike to meet the requirements?

If not is there another version of Improved grapple for creatures like this? Grapple is rather important for this creature but it is more important that he follows basic DND rules.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-18, 06:55 PM
UPDATE***

Made a few changes and added a more exclusive feature to miseralmus that was inspired by weasels

DracoDei
2010-03-18, 07:40 PM
Just give Improved Grapple as a bonus feat. You just through a (B) after it and don't have it count against the total number of feats.

BIRDMANﺕ
2010-03-18, 08:50 PM
Just give Improved Grapple as a bonus feat. You just through a (B) after it and don't have it count against the total number of feats.

True but I came up with something I think would work just as well/is more of what I in-visioned it to be. Attach worked a lot better for such a creature since when you grapple you kind of hold on to something some how... he would be just biting and sicking his teeth into your flesh and then suck your blood/give poison. However thanks I did not know I could simply do that