PDA

View Full Version : Redwarfing My Dwarf (Armidale group stay out)

Serpentine
2010-03-15, 10:47 PM
Just want some thoughts on mechanics and the like for an idea I've had. First, background:
My character, Kariana Wyrnda, is a Lawful Good Dwarven Knight from the extremely cloistered xenophobic dwarven "homeland". She was exiled as a traitor for consorting with elves (and breaking economy-based quarantine). Her ultimate goal is just to wait out her exile so she can go home. She's more Good than Lawful, but is still devoted to Law and Order.
At one point, she was killed (by my own stupidity, as a DM and as a player). She happened to die at the same time as the Druid, so the party just took us both to the next Druid grove for "resurrection". One Reincarnation and a random die-roll later, and my Dwarf is now an Elf. See above for why this is Bad News for her.
So, next game the party's going to explore the half-abandoned Temple to a Chaotic Neutral Trickster God. Depending on how they behave while in the temple, the god will grant them a boon, a trick, or some mixture. Chaotic characters get a head start, Lawful ones a handicap. Kariana is unlikely to be liked.
Now, the crux of the problem: I was thinking about it, and if offered a "boon" by a powerful deity, the very first and only thing she would ask for is "I want to be a dwarf." The easiest and nastiest way this god could twist that would be to make her a dwarf... of the human variety. Midgetify her.
So, what would a Dwarf-come-midget be like? Small size and Strength reduction do it? Is there anything else that could work or should be done?
Probably worth pointing out that this is a DMPC, so nerfing isn't really an issue. I've been intending to remove her sort-of because she has more attacks per round than anyone else which extends combat a bit (everyone else are casters, though, so damage-wise she's in the shadows), but the longest-running player would rather her stay because she's his character's last link to the plot and/or party (but another player prefers no DMPCs... ionno). On the other hand, this character is the most Chaotic of them all, so the god will probably give her an extra boon: Permanent Tongues, which would deal with the language barrier problem.
Soooo... Thoughts?

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-15, 11:04 PM
Not sure what your question is. I gather you want to be a dwarf again, but that you don't think this is likely (unless the god just shrinks you). Mechanically, I'd say apply Reduce Person permanently (non-dispellable or suppressable; only goes away if you get a new form somehow). I don't get why the stuff about the rest of the party is particularly relevant (tongues spell?). I'd say if you get her killed again she'd be out of the way, barring another reincarnate and another shot at dwarfdom. I'm not sure what your goal is, though.

Serpentine
2010-03-15, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I went a bit information overload, didn't I?

I'm not wanting to turn my Dwarf back into a Dwarf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf) (well, she does, but anyway...), I'm wanting to turn her into a dwarf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarfism).
Basically, I suppose, I just want to know what the mechanic effects of dwarfism on a D&D human would be. Just Small size and a Strength reduction?

The rest pretty much boils down to "she's just a DMPC that may or may not be removed at some future date for various reasons, so it doesn't matter if she's significantly disadvantaged by the change".

JeminiZero
2010-03-15, 11:30 PM
Basically, I suppose, I just want to know what the mechanic effects of dwarfism on a D&D human would be. Just Small size and a Strength reduction?

That sounds reasonable enough, although you might also want to add a dex bonus as well.

I would also note that since this is a reasonably disposable DMPC, you don't have to think too hard about it.

Mando Knight
2010-03-15, 11:56 PM
This is what Halflings are for, innit?

The Glyphstone
2010-03-16, 12:09 AM
Give her halfling stats, while just making her really short? For extra chaotic giggles...don't be a dwarf human. Make her a 'dwarf' elf.

Easiest solution would just be to make her Small and slap on the size modifiers as appropriate.

Pluto
2010-03-16, 01:11 AM
When I first read the title, I thought you wanted to know how to make your Dwarf a hologram.

Or a cat.

cheezewizz2000
2010-03-16, 02:56 AM
Mechanically, I'd say apply Reduce Person permanently

+1. Who says Elves don't also have dwarfs? Adds a new twist, because she didn't wish to not be an Elf, she just wished to be a Dwarf. When asking for things from chaotic gods, proof read!.