PDA

View Full Version : The Beast Without [3.5 Harrowed/Xenotheurge PrC] (PEACH)

DragoonWraith
2010-03-15, 10:56 PM
This is a work in progress!
The Beast Without is a Harrowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118467)/True Xenotheurge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122103) dual-progression PrC. It was going to be my entry for the Mono e Mono contest, except that I only thought of it a couple of days ago, and there just wasn't time. Even now, as the contest is ending, this needs a lot of feedback. KaganMonk may still do a counter to this, I believe he had some ideas on a anti-Far Realms type PrC that would stand against Beasts Without.

Anyway, I'm very much just trying to get some ideas down. The Monster needs more downsides, I think, and I need to review exactly how overpowered Monstrous Xenotheurgy might actually be.

Also, I feel like this class is lacking the danger it's supposed to have. It seems to negate the dangers, really, more than anything else. Thoughts on that would be helpful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragoonWraith/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/Homebrew/BeastWithout.png
"Why would I fight it? This is my power, my birthright, my destiny. There is no monster within me. I am the monster!" --Drey'nallak, a Beast Without

The Harrowed are born under the unluckiest of stars, born with a burden that would crush any man's mind. Even the most stalwart of Harrowed are downtrodden by their Monsters within, and theirs is often a short, unpleasant life, ending in madness. Those Harrowed who can control their Monster have great power, and can be the most dedicated and unswerving bastions of light, but these are rare.

On the other hand are the Harrowed who become Beasts themselves. These Beasts Without join with their Monsters Within, and the two work in concert. These vile men and women embrace their aberrant nature, and can be among the deadliest of foes.

BECOMING A BEAST WITHOUT
Becoming a Beast Without requires an embrace of the Far Realms and the Harrowed's Monster Within. All Beasts Without are, by definition, on such good terms with their inner Monster that they can already tap into the Far Realms through their Monster, and have already taken steps to negotiate with It. Not many understand the Harrowed, but for those who do, they are, at least, pitiable - but the Beast Without is almost impossible to find sympathy for, having sold themselves to It.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Alignment
Chaotic Evil
Class Features
Subverted Insanity (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6755456#675545)
The Monster Within (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118467)
Two-World Eyes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118467)
Feats
Dark Deal (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118467)
Skills
Knowledge (The Planes) 8 ranks.

CLASS FEATURES OF THE BEAST WITHOUT

Class Skills
The Beast Without's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (N/A), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + Int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]
_Level_ |
_BAB_ |
_Fort_ |
_Ref_ |
_Will_ | _Special___________________________ |
_Murmurs_ |
_Shadowmental Touch_

1st |
+0 |
+0 |
+0 |
+2 | The Darkest Deal, Monstrous Xenotheurgy,Subverted Insanity |
+1 |
+1d6

2nd |
+1 |
+0 |
+0 |
+3 | Xenomorphosis |
+1 |
+1d6

3rd |
+2 |
+1 |
+1 |
+3 | |
+2 |
+2d6

4th |
+3 |
+1 |
+1 |
+4 | An Agreement of Sorts |
+2 |
+2d6

5th |
+3 |
+1 |
+1 |
+4 | |
+3 |
+3d6

6th |
+4 |
+2 |
+2 |
+5 | Shadowmental Breach |
+3 |
+3d6

7th |
+5 |
+2 |
+2 |
+5 | |
+4 |
+4d6

8th |
+6 |
+2 |
+2 |
+6 | Entropic Harmony |
+4 |
+4d6

9th |
+6 |
+3 |
+3 |
+6 | |
+5 |
+5d6

10th |
+7 |
+3 |
+3 |
+7 | Bestial Synthesis |
+5 |
+5d6[/table]

Armor and Weapon Proficiencies
A Beast Without does not gain any proficiencies with any armors or weapons.

The Darkest Deal (Ex)
A Beast Without has made the ultimate deal with her Monster Within (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118467) - she has agreed to grant the Monster limited freedom. The Beast Without has come to the conclusion that as much as she does not want to be completely controlled by the Monster - after all, that would essentially mean being imprisoned within her own mind - there is no reason that the two can't work together. After all, the Monster Within is the Beast Without's greatest and closest ally, the source of her power.

The Beast Without may, as a free action, release control of herself to the Monster Within. She may then retake control, unopposed, as another free action, provided that the Monster Within is satisfied that she is not trying to short-change her. So long as she does give the Monster an hour of freedom from every day, It will not try to force its way out - the Beast Without's Harrowed abilities will not provoke a Will save when used. If the Beast Without does not give the Monster Within at least this one hour each day, however, It will begin to assert Itself with a vengeance - the DC to resist the Monster Within will be 10 higher than it otherwise would. Should the Monster take control forcefully, it will not release its control until it has had its hour - and only a Will save 10 higher than the already increased DC will succeed in forcing It down.

Monstrous Xenotheurgy (Ex)
The Monster Within is the Beast Without's connection to the Far Realms, and It knows a great deal about them and their effects upon our reality. When the Monster is in control, its use of Breaches does not provoke a Will save from it - the Murmur's level will increase if and only if the Monster Within wills it so. Unfortunately, the Monster Within will very often will it so.

Further, when the Beast Without loses all control - that is, whenever the Beast Without is forced to unleash all of their Incursions, such as by being knocked unconscious, going mad, having a Murmur reach by 7th level, or any other similar effect, the Monster Within takes over. If the Beast Within has been studious about giving the Monster time out, It will probably not ruin things too much. Failure to do so will make losing control in this manner extremely dangerous to the Beast Without and all around her.

Subverted Insanity
The Beast Without adds three-quarters of her class level to her levels of True Xenotheurge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6755456#675545) for determining the Beast Without's daily and weekly uses of Subverted Insanity.

Xenomorphosis
Xenotheurgy changes the Beast Without, much as any True Xenotheurge is changed by their tapping into the Far Realms. Having the Monster literally residing within themselves makes this change far more dramatic. At 2nd level, the Beast Without chooses one of the following mutations:
Wings of the Shadow (Ex) - The Beast Without grows a monstrous set of wings. Their form varies widely, but beauty is rarely, if ever, a quality associated with them. They are horrible, disturbing, and terrifying, and now they can fly. The Beast Without gains the ability to Fly at their natural Land Speed (that is, their Land Speed ignoring any effects that specifically increase only their Land Speed), with Average maneuverability. These wings also improve the Beast Without's ability to jump - they gain a +10 Racial bonus on Jump checks.
Aberrant Tentacles (Ex) - The Beast Without grows a pair of tentacles, which can sprout from nearly anywhere on their body. These grant the Beast Without two Tentacle attacks, which are treated as Primary Natural Weapons and deal damage appropriate for the Beast Without's size.
The Grand Illusion (Su) - The Beast Without can confound the senses. For a number of rounds equal to half her class level, a Beast Without may be treated as under the effects of Mirror Image. This effect may be activated or deactivated as a Swift action.
Preternatual Senses (Ex) - The Beast Without's nose, eyes, and ears change, deforming her face. Snouts are common, as are eyes that seem like staring into the depths of space. In any event, this effect gives the Beast Without Darkvision for 30 ft., the Scent quality, and a +5 Racial bonus on Listen checks.
Pseudonatural Hide (Ex) - The Beast Without's skin toughens, possibly growing chitinous plates or armored scales. This effect increases the Beast's Natural Armor bonus by 6.

An Agreement of Sorts
At 4th level, a Beast Without has come to an agreement with their Monster. This may be taken by gaining Butchery Pact or Trickster's Bargain as a bonus feat, or it may be any other similar deal in which the Beast Without agrees to behave in a manner more closely aligned with the Monster Within - that is, engages in Chaotic and/or Evil activity on a regular basis. Upkeep of this Agreement helps to keep the Monster Within satiated in between its moments of freedom, hence gaining a +4 profane bonus on Will saves provoked by The Monster Within, and more importantly staving off the time until which the Monster begins provoking those saves once more.

Most importantly, should a Beast Without keep up its Agreement, and be timely in its freeing of the Monster Within, the Monster Within can be expected to even follow through on those things the Beast Without had planned to do herself. This Agreement is, on some level, the development of trust between the Beast Without and the Monster Within - the Beast Without becomes more Chaotic and/or Evil, and the Monster Within actually becomes less so, to the degree that these things can hurt the Beast Without. The Monster Within sees that the Beast Without's safety and freedom are necessary to Its own freedom, and so it

Shadowmental Breach (Su)
At 6th level, a Beast Without can tap into her Monster Within's skill with Xenotheurgy. When using a Breach that targets a single creature, and takes a Standard Action or less to use, a Beast Without may use the Breach as a Full Round Action and also inflict her Shadowmental Touch on the same target as the Breach. The Will save to avoid increasing the level of the Breach's Murmur is increased by 2 whenever it is used in this fashion, however.

Entropic Harmony
By 8th level, the Beast Without and Monster Within are in complete agreement about their actions, and the Monster Within will continue whatever plans the Beast Without had set in motion whenever it is released. While the two remain distinct, and will go about things differently, the Monster Within is no longer a threat to the Beast Without - they are of one purpose. Most often, this is because the Beast Without has become as monstrous as the Monster Within.

Bestial Synthesis
At 10th level, the Beast Without and the Monster Within become one entity. The Beast Without no longer has to release the Monster Within, nor do any of his abilities provoke Will saves from The Monster Within, as the Monster Within is essentially always free. The Beast Without gains the benefit of Monstrous Xenotheurgy at all times. Further, she gains a +4 profane bonus on Will saves, and is immune to Mind-Affecting, possession, and soul-displacing effects (such as Trap the Soul or Magic Jar). However, the Beast Without has become a danger to the very reality of the multiverse, and therefore the multiverse will seek to trap her - in exactly the same way the Monster Within was trapped. Should the Beast Without die, she cannot be revived by any means. At the moment of her death, a new Harrowed will be born - born with her as the Monster Within.

[b]PLAYING A BEAST WITHOUT
The Beast Without is monstrous, vicious, and brutal in combat - even those that manage to pull their Monster Within as far as possible from its chaotic or evil ways. The Beast uses the reality-shearing powers of the Far Realm freely, and may even call upon their Monster Within to fight for them.

As a Beast Without develops, both she and the Monster Within should change. She should become more like the Monster, and the Monster more like her, as she gains levels. By the time they have come to An Agreement of Sorts, freeing the Monster Within for combat will likely make sense - but the Beast should keep It bottled up outside of combat, or in combats with important third parties to protect. With Entropic Harmony, the Monster can be trusted just about all of the time
Combat: The Beast Without attacks with supernatural power - the Shadowmental attacks of the Monster Within, or tapping into the Far Realms directly by using Xenotheurgy. Releasing the Monster Within is always an option, though an incredibly dangerous one.
Advancement: After completing the Beast Without class, most will prefer to continue with Harrowed or True Xenotheurge levels, as these are most likely to synergize with their abilities. Any source of great and vicious power will sit well with both Beast and Monster, however.
Resources:

BEASTS WITHOUT IN THE WORLD
""

--

Daily Life:
Notables:
Organizations:

NPC Reaction

BEASTS WITHOUT IN THE GAME
Beasts Without have made a Faustian pact that Mephistopheles himself wouldn't offer. They have willingly bound their souls to horrors unknown, and they are a source of discord and destruction, for which there is no known cure besides their own annihilation. Even then, they do not truly die, but are doomed to exist to Harrow yet more unfortunate souls.
Adaptation: In settings where the Harroweds' Monsters Within are not from the Far Realm, it becomes necessary to explain why Beasts Without are associated with it through Xenotheurgy. This may be difficult, especially if Xenotheurgy is already a known facet of the gameworld. It may be, however, that the Monster Within uses the sanity-draining Xenotheurgy to tempt the Beast Without into making their Darkest Deal, and it all goes downhill from there.

Another possibility is an organization of Beasts Without. If the Harrowed are more common in your game setting, a cabal of Beasts Without, who espouse becoming one with the Monster Within, could be very interesting, and very dangerous.
Encounters: The Beast Without fights recklessly, burning her horrible power into the landscape as she draws on the disruptive energies of the Far Realm. They are, essentially, a spellcasting class, relying on considerable Supernatural power, but neither of their powers are limited daily, and they are quite sturdy for a spellcaster. Given the abandon with which they will use both their Shadowmental and Xenotheurgic abilities, they can be incredibly fearsome to face.

Sample Encounter

EL 11:

Drey'nallak CR 11
Female Elf Harrowed 3/True Xenotheurge 2/Beast Without 6
CE Humanoid (Elf)
Init , Senses: Listen , Spot
Languages Common, Elven
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed (+ Dex, + armor)
HP ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Land Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Fly Speed 30 ft. (6 squares) (Average)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Special Actions
Combat Gear
Extraordinary Abilities
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

CREDITS
Image adapted from Possession (http://shiramune.deviantart.com/art/Possession-56577853) by Shiramune (http://shiramune.deviantart.com/). All credit to him for its creation.

And of course, many thanks to Lord_Gareth and Realms of Chaos for their Harrowed class and Xenotheurgy systems, respectively.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-15, 10:57 PM
Reserved for possible second PrC.

JoshuaZ
2010-03-15, 11:08 PM
Zounds! A double homebrew hybrid class!

Monstrous Xenotheurgy seems too strong at first level. Maybe at first get a lesser version that is just a bonus to the will saves and then at a later level get the whole thing? Say at 3rd level?

Is there any reason that you are only adding 3/4ths of levels for Subverted Insanity? Seems like an odd choice. I would have expected full or half but 3/4ths is just weird. Is there some fine-tune balance issue I'm missing?

Owrtho
2010-03-15, 11:20 PM
The Grand Illusion (Su) - The Beast Without can confound the senses. For a number of rounds equal to half her class level, a Beast Without may be treated as under the effects of Mirror Image. This effect may be activated or deactivated as a Swift action.

Seems like there should be an each day or per day in there. Also, did you know that by using the aberration blood feats from LoM, a human beast without could have 4 primary tentacle attacks with a 10 foot reach at level 6?

Seems nice though. Bound to be a bit of fun.

Owrtho

DragoonWraith
2010-03-16, 08:07 AM
Zounds! A double homebrew hybrid class!
Hehe, yeah. That's why I'm not overly concerned about it getting into the Contest - most people wouldn't be able to vote for it anyway, for lack of familiarity with one or the other, or both. I think Djinn might have the same problem because he's using Epic; I don't know Epic and I think a lot of people are going to also be unsure about it for lack of Epic play experience.

Monstrous Xenotheurgy seems too strong at first level. Maybe at first get a lesser version that is just a bonus to the will saves and then at a later level get the whole thing? Say at 3rd level?
Yeah, the idea is that the Monster gets the benefit. And at 1st level, that's probably a bad thing. By the end, you get to control that benefit, but it doesn't happen until then.

But even so, I suspect it's still overpowered.

Is there any reason that you are only adding 3/4ths of levels for Subverted Insanity? Seems like an odd choice. I would have expected full or half but 3/4ths is just weird. Is there some fine-tune balance issue I'm missing?
Well, Subverted Insanity is the really important True Xenotheurge feature; I felt like I'd be giving too much to do a full progression, as that's giving an awful lot of the benefits that the Xenotheurge offers. At the same time, the normal progression is +1/day every four levels - becoming every eight levels would be silly. Every six (ish) seemed reasonable, but since you can enter with a variable number of Xenotheurge levels already under your belt...

Seems like there should be an each day or per day in there.
Aha, right you are! Will add.

Also, did you know that by using the aberration blood feats from LoM, a human beast without could have 4 primary tentacle attacks with a 10 foot reach at level 6?
That's total level 11, minimum. I think that's not going to be too much of a problem, really.

Seems nice though. Bound to be a bit of fun.

Owrtho
Heh, thanks!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-03-16, 08:53 AM
Hehe, yeah. That's why I'm not overly concerned about it getting into the Contest - most people wouldn't be able to vote for it anyway, for lack of familiarity with one or the other, or both. I think Djinn might have the same problem because he's using Epic; I don't know Epic and I think a lot of people are going to also be unsure about it for lack of Epic play experience.

I hope that's not the case, as I'm hoping the concept and mechanics are interesting enough that people won't be swayed by lack of experience.

Gareth and I did decide to take a risk in the name of trying to shake the premeditated "why bother competing against them" philosophy which emerged briefly, but I'm hoping that people will still judge the classes as what they are, rather than just by the rule set they work with.

KaganMonk
2010-03-16, 09:04 AM
Second PrC will be up as soon as I can start writing it and getting it to DW.

And I don't think the "Why bother competing" was serious in the contest. It was more of expecting awesome things from the two of you. The nature of the contest, relying on double the inspiration, cut down on the entries far more than you ever could.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-03-16, 09:15 AM
And I don't think the "Why bother competing" was serious in the contest. It was more of expecting awesome things from the two of you. The nature of the contest, relying on double the inspiration, cut down on the entries far more than you ever could.

I know...but I'm honestly embarrassed by my streak so far, and...well...:smallfrown:

Owrtho
2010-03-16, 12:28 PM
That's total level 11, minimum. I think that's not going to be too much of a problem, really.

Actually I was referring to total level, though I notice I'd forgotten to account for the skill requirements pushing the minimum entry level to the class to 6. As such it would be total level 7. That said, I don't know that it's much of an issue. After all, it does require all 4 of your feats (1 for dark deal, and 3 for the aberration blood feats), and comes with a -1 penalty to attacks. Also it seems like it could be rather fun to play a guy going around with 4 long tentacles growing out of random parts of his body.

Owrtho

Lord_Gareth
2010-03-16, 02:53 PM
I'd like to note that the Harrowed feats need some serious rebalancing and revision, so your class may need some changes once that occurs.

Other than that, looks nifty ^_^

DragoonWraith
2010-03-16, 03:42 PM
Actually I was referring to total level, though I notice I'd forgotten to account for the skill requirements pushing the minimum entry level to the class to 6. As such it would be total level 7. That said, I don't know that it's much of an issue. After all, it does require all 4 of your feats (1 for dark deal, and 3 for the aberration blood feats), and comes with a -1 penalty to attacks. Also it seems like it could be rather fun to play a guy going around with 4 long tentacles growing out of random parts of his body.

Owrtho
Wow, look at that - I forgot which level my own class gives various abilities. I feel dumb.

Anyway, I agree with you - not that big a deal. Totemists get more natural attacks at level 1, without spending feats.

I'd like to note that the Harrowed feats need some serious rebalancing and revision, so your class may need some changes once that occurs.

Other than that, looks nifty ^_^
Pretty sure Dark Deal is the only one that I've used... I mentioned Butchery Pact and Trickster's Bargain, but suggested that the Beast might make alternatives to these anyway.

But anyway, yeah, I'll definitely try to keep on top of that. This is by no means done, anyway.