PDA

View Full Version : 4E Hombrew Ideas for the Bugbear

Tough_Tonka
2010-03-15, 11:23 PM
I've been thinking of a few ideas to balance out the Bugbear as a playable race.

I know I should remove the oversized weapon property, but I wonder if I should replace it with something else.

I was thinking of replacing it with the following

Aggressive:

At the start of an encounter bugbears recieve a +1 bonus to attack rolls against any creatures that have not acted in that encounter.

Its based on the idea that bugbears like to get the drop on enemies and work best when doing so.

I'm wondering if this would be enough to balance the bugbear with other races or if its too much

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-16, 12:18 AM
im a bugbear player, and s'far as i can tell, only thing you need to do to keep a bugbear balanced with the other playable races is just remove the three levels in humanoid, starting out at level one like normal PC's.

Pramxnim
2010-03-16, 12:21 AM
@Gicko: Wrong game system, my friend. This here is 4e ^^

@OP: That sounds fairly decent, and does fit with the race's flavour. I think it's also fine to just remove Oversized altogether. The bugbear has a decent racial power already in Predatory Eye, what it lacks is feat support.

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-16, 05:01 AM
@Gicko: Wrong game system, my friend. This here is 4e ^^

ahh, gotcha. im on pathfinder myself. should see if i can find a way to convert my charicters into 4e someday, shouldent be too hard.

Yakk
2010-03-16, 10:16 AM
A bugbear is basically a big goblin.

Goblins are shifty. We could attach "and shift 1" to the predatory eye or something.

Bugbears are big. So are Goliaths and Minotaurs. We don't want to intrude on their design space too much.

Hmm. "When you roll a 10 or higher on a weapon damage die, you push the targest 1 square with the attack (regardless of how many times you roll 10 or higher)"?

Naw, that's a bit overly crunchy.

When I GIS for bugbears, I don't see them using two handed weapons. We could grant them the +1 to damage with versatile weapons even when they use them one handed?

Tough_Tonka
2010-03-16, 01:54 PM
When I GIS for bugbears, I don't see them using two handed weapons. We could grant them the +1 to damage with versatile weapons even when they use them one handed?

That was my first idea, but it seemed to only be useful for rangers or fighters.