PDA

View Full Version : (4E) ways to maximise stealth

Goonthegoof
2010-03-16, 12:18 AM
I'm trying to make the stealthiest possible character, so I've got a drow rogue/assassin with the Verdant Stalker PP. Apart from Skill Focus (Stealth) and Untracable what other ways are there of increasing the stealth skill?

Swordgleam
2010-03-16, 12:32 AM
There's a bunch of items. Boots and a cloak in the PHB1 I'm fairly sure.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-16, 12:40 AM
Ya, I've found some of those, but I've found there's always an obscure feat or something that I don't know about in cases like these. I've found all the items I could possibly want (+12 bonus and roll twice) and I'm sure there's a feat (like stealthy from 3.5) that I'm missing.

Gralamin
2010-03-16, 01:37 AM
Lets see here.... Assuming starting dex 18, and always increased... 18+6 (Levels) + 2 (Tiers) = 26 score.

1/2 Level: +15 (Assume level 30)
Drow: +2 Racial
Background: +2
Training: +5
Ability Score: +8
Demigod: +1 (From ability score up)
Shadowblade PP (Gloomshard use): +5 Untyped
Midnight Stalker [Tribal], With Allies: +2 Feat, +1 per ally with feat, up to +5
Silent Shadows [Guild], With allies: +2 Feat (Doesn't stack with Skill focus), Free Reroll at up to +5 additional, take best
Untraceable: +5 Against enemies you are invisible against.
Flashbang Powder: consumable gives +4 bonus to stealth.
Assassin's Cloak: Roll twice for checks
Shadowflow Armor +6: +6 untyped bonus Actually an item bonus
Boots of Stealth: +6 item bonus
Ghost Walk Ritual (PREVENTS ATTACKING): +5 bonus
--------------------------------------------------
+5953 Roll twice, with reroll at +5, And +5 vs invisible, and +5 if you don't mind not attacking. Without consumables, +5549.

So, at max, this build could be rolling at +7468. Not too shabby.

Also, make sure you have Sehanine's Mark of the Dark Moon.

Edit: Do note that some of the highest perception scores (Such as Bahamut) are only around +32. So once you have around +50, you are never being found.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-16, 01:40 AM
Thanks very much Gralamin, although there are no backgrounds and the character would be alone that rules out a couple of your ways, I hadn't known of the flashbang powder and that'll come in very useful. Your item setup is close to identical to the ones I found, I went for shadowflow armour, a piwafwi and a trickster's mask :smallbiggrin:

Also, I was considering the shoulderbow and the wording seems a little unclear, as it says it can be fired as a standard action. Does this mean it is basically a complete replacement for a main hand weapon?

If so, a heavy shield main hand+hand crossbow offhand with a shoulderbow used for the usual attacks (and two fisted shooter/ruthless hunter ensuring free attacks and extra damage) would be epic.

Draz74
2010-03-16, 01:45 AM
Lets see here.... Assuming starting dex 18,

Why not 20, with all the extremes you're going to in other areas? (Racial Dex bonus!)

Gralamin
2010-03-16, 01:48 AM
Also, I was considering the shoulderbow and the wording seems a little unclear, as it says it can be fired as a standard action. Does this mean it is basically a complete replacement for a main hand weapon?

If so, a heavy shield main hand+hand crossbow offhand with a shoulderbow used for the usual attacks (and two fisted shooter/ruthless hunter ensuring free attacks and extra damage) would be epic.

1) Shoulderbow technically no longer exists, as its part of the old Warforged component rules, not the newer ones in EPG.
2) You'd have to be a warforged or (Possibly) Revenant to use a shoulder bow, no way around it (Special: Only a warforged character can use this weapon. It is always a component weapon.)
3) That is about correct.

Why not 20, with all the extremes you're going to in other areas? (Racial Dex bonus!)

Well, if you really want +75...

Goonthegoof
2010-03-16, 01:50 AM
The character in question did start with 20 :smallsmile:
I'm currently 15 from level, 10 from ability, 5 from training, 3 from focus, 2 from race, 6 untyped from item and 6 item from item.

1) Shoulderbow technically no longer exists, as its part of the old Warforged component rules, not the newer ones in EPG.
The DDI character builder lists it as an option, not sure what to do here

2) You'd have to be a warforged or (Possibly) Revenant to use a shoulder bow, no way around it (Special: Only a warforged character can use this weapon. It is always a component weapon.)
There is a way around it, I call it Ring of the Warforged :smallbiggrin:

Thajocoth
2010-03-16, 01:53 AM
I'm currently 15 from level, 10 from ability, 5 from training, 3 from focus, 2 from race, 6 untyped from item and 6 item from item.

No background bonus? There might be a background that can get you a +3 if you really search. If not you could at least get a +2.

EDIT: Stealth can only get +2 from a background bonus. The skills that can get +3 are Endurance, History, Intimidate, Religion, or Streetwise.

Gralamin
2010-03-16, 01:54 AM

Just found a problem. According to the PHB, Shadowflow Armor is an item bonus. Since there has been no errata, this is one of the cases of the Compendium being incorrect.

Down to +69 at max!

I always forget about that item.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-16, 02:24 AM
No way in hell am I renewing my DDI subscription, the character builder is filled with bugs :smallannoyed: