PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 Eberron) Vampire trouble. help!

Le-vante
2010-03-16, 04:09 AM
Greetings GITP,

this is my first post so please forgive me if i do not follow procedure.

In my weekly DnD group i was recently divided from the rest of my party and have ended up having to face a vampire. being a cleric this shouldn’t be much of a problem, however i am completely unarmed and without spell components or a holy symbol! there for i can not use any spell that needs M or DF, luckily i have allot of cure spells available.

my Character is a level 4 Clr oTsH. what im looking for is any advice on how i can survive this encounter? the vampire is equipped with a rather menacing evil sword.

many thanks,
Le-vante

(please be patient with my poor spelling and noobness)

Schylerwalker
2010-03-16, 04:46 AM
Run. And pray. A vampire is a minimum CR 7 creature, with a frightening array of special attacks and qualities. Without your equipment (Especially your holy symbol) you are utterly powerless against such a fiend by yourself. As soon as you step into melee to begin using your cure spells against him, he'll either butcher you with the sword, or kill you in two rounds with his negative energy slam attack. Vampires are brutal, brutal opponents, unless you are well-prepared for them.

Beelzebub1111
2010-03-16, 05:01 AM
the vampire is equipped with a rather menacing evil sword.
King Kaius? If that's the case RUN LIKE HELL! that's a freaking Nine Lives Stealer!

senrath
2010-03-16, 05:05 AM
Despite the fact that you can technically have a vampire that's lower than CR7, I agree with Schylerwalker. Run. Run away. Don't fight back unless you can't escape.

faceroll
2010-03-16, 05:07 AM
There's a spell that lets you summon a holy symbol. I think.

crazedloon
2010-03-16, 05:08 AM
It depends on your surroundings.

-is there running water?
-is there sunlight?
-Is there garlic or mirrors near by?

Also how lenient your DM is

-Can you draw your holy symbol in the soul as your material focus?

Do you know what happened to your gear?

all the above are very important for this question though running is always an option.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-16, 05:24 AM
the vampire is equipped with a rather menacing evil sword.
It really doesn't matter. He has at least 5 HD, and he is a vampire ... you can't win in a stand up fight.

Looking around, the best you can prepare is obscuring mist/snow. You have to keep out of LoS (so he can't dominate you) and make a run for it (if you have armour reducing your speed, take it off).

PS. next time put holy symbols on your armour, shield and everything else.

hamishspence
2010-03-16, 05:27 AM
There's a spell that lets you summon a holy symbol. I think.

It's in Complete Champion- 0th level for clerics, 1st level for paladins.

Le-vante
2010-03-16, 05:34 AM
King Kaius? If that's the case RUN LIKE HELL! that's a freaking Nine Lives Stealer!

lol if it wAs the sword of kass I would tell him not to waste his effort, I'll lay down and kill myself.

My current position is rather a cheesy one, the classic vampire in a masqurade ball, my equipment is stored in a guard house in a diffrent part of the embassy complex. The vampire in question was dancing with the hostess and - oblivion elder scrolls style- pulled a sword out of thin air and is about to attack her.

The way I see it I should try and get her out of harms way too my companions - who couldn't gain entrance to the party- but I feel that the 1on1 combat will be unavoidable. So from this what are my best tatics for surviving the retreat?

Many thanks
le vante

senrath
2010-03-16, 05:38 AM
Okay. What spells do you have prepared?

kladams707
2010-03-16, 05:42 AM
lol if it wAs the sword of kass I would tell him not to waste his effort, I'll lay down and kill myself.

My current position is rather a cheesy one, the classic vampire in a masqurade ball, my equipment is stored in a guard house in a diffrent part of the embassy complex. The vampire in question was dancing with the hostess and - oblivion elder scrolls style- pulled a sword out of thin air and is about to attack her.

le vante

Quick, Find van helsing.

Le-vante
2010-03-16, 05:48 AM
The only spell that I can use other that CLW CMW is light of lunia, but it can only be activated the round after the initial casting (I dont have any refrance with me atm). I think I'll be in undeath myself if I wait that long.

Munchkin-Masher
2010-03-16, 06:05 AM
RUN!!!!

If not i think i know who you are fighting. Try to convince the sword that the vampire is out to destroy it, If i remember right it has cure serious wounds as a dedicated power, and healing and undeads don't get along.

Edit: ok after reading the rest of your posts i know who you are up against, I don't want to spoil the encounter for you but he is a coward and should run if faced with significant opposition.

Also make sure you kill his sister, just to piss him off.

Runestar
2010-03-16, 06:17 AM
A vampire with 5 HD has 6.5*5, or 32 hp on average. Though technically, you can get tougher versions at lower cr, by using base monsters with a lot of racial HD for their cr. A minotaur vampire is cr6 and has 39hp for instance. Harpy vampires are cr6 as well, the lowest monstrous humanoid with at least 5HD is cr4, I think.

CLW does 1d8+4, or 8 points of damage. CMW does 2d8+4, or 13 damage. Pray he does not make his will saves, or that you don't miss your touch attacks. But you are still easy prey for his lv drain.

I don't think you can outrun it, so your only option is really to fight and hope for the best, IMO.

hamishspence
2010-03-16, 07:24 AM
Isn't the Monstrous Vampire template from Ghostwalk (3.0, but updated to 3.5) one with no minimum Hit Dice?

It's almost exactly like a standard vampire, a lot of other creature types can take it as well as humanoid, and the main difference is it gets a tombstone instead of a coffin.

So in theory, you could have Vampires with the full suite of vampire abilities, and less than 5 HD.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-16, 07:48 AM
First of all, I'm pretty sure depriving a Cleric of his holy symbol(s) would be akin to asking a military veteran to remove his medals. In-character it should be considered insulting and completely out of the question, and it was your own mistake for giving it up so easily.

Throw a curtain/tablecloth/his cloak/etc. over his head as you grab him, call for the guards, scream "assassin" as loud as you can. This is probably the only heroic course of action which is likely to succeed, in-character. As far as game mechanics go, you're most likely doomed but if you have an RP-heavy DM it should work out rather well.

Le-vante
2010-03-16, 07:54 AM
Lucian be his name (unsure of spelling), though I would ask you not to give too much away as he has only just appeared in the plot. But we have figured he's easy to scare after chasing his carrage for a few miles and launching our Warforged fighter Aegis into it's rear destroying most of it - With thibbledorf intent-.

In response to the other gentlemans comments, as I said previously my armour was removed along with weapons spell pouches and the like since it is a party of nobles. Also we were suspecting them of all being vampires and walking in covered in holy symbols would be a little more of an ice breaker (or day breaker..) than intended.

Is light of lunia worth casting? Should I call for the gaurds/my companions? Face him head on? Take girly embasidor pants and leg it? I have his jar of grave dirt if it is of any use?

crazedloon
2010-03-16, 07:59 AM
I would suggest casting CMW and than threaten him with your glowing holy hand. He does not know you can't kill him outright. If you are lucky he will flee

Nerd-o-rama
2010-03-16, 08:23 AM
Call for help, obviously. Lukan's threatening a diplomatic consular with a sword, there should at least be guards around, or there were when I ran this adventure.

Assuming he has more than one target, Light of Lunia is good. If not, cast your best healing spell and at least hope that dissuades him from grappling you.

Why the hell you didn't just keep a holy symbol in your pocket, though, I have no earthly idea. I suppose if you thought this embassy ball was somehow entirely filled with vampires they'd consider it a weapon if they patted you down, but I don't know how you'd reach that conclusion either.

Le-vante
2010-03-16, 08:42 AM
Yes yes hindsight is a wonderful thing, however the fact is I am without it. And yes we did have suspicion that it would be a ball of vampires, we were expecting the cheesiest possible situation.

So plan is as follows;

• Shout "Assasin! Guards to arms!"

• Move to shield lady-face from attack.

• Cast CMW?

• Leg it.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-16, 11:05 AM
Use an action point on your initiative, if you are within a single move distance open up with the shouting and CMW (you can cast, move and make a touch attack in a single round ... which is the preferred order, so you don't provoke AoOs).

jiriku
2010-03-16, 11:32 AM
Yes yes hindsight is a wonderful thing, however the fact is I am without it. And yes we did have suspicion that it would be a ball of vampires, we were expecting the cheesiest possible situation.

So plan is as follows;

• Shout "Assasin! Guards to arms!"

• Move to shield lady-face from attack.

• Cast CMW?

• Leg it.

You got it. Best you can do, really. And tell your friends to get over pronto to help you out. Even if no one in your party is armed, the warforged at least has a slam attack, and you've got enough damaging spells to contribute to the fight if you're not forced to fight him solo.

Le-vante
2010-03-17, 04:28 AM
Many thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it went on Monday.

Le-vante.

Le-vante
2010-03-22, 11:47 PM
We killed his sister.