PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] BBEG help (*Mundian Players Keep Out!*)

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-03-16, 04:27 AM
I'm at the point in my campaign when I finally need to prepare the actual stats of the BBEG. This guy is a Wiz 20 / Arch Mage 5 lich, who's been around for a few thousand years, has his own demi-plane... but has recently been destroyed by a massive assault of extra-planar plunderers.
He'll be reforming in the next few days in-game, and will be shorter on resources than usual, but he'll be bent on reclaiming his treasure as soon as possible.

Now, I'm not as familiar with play at high levels as I am with low to mid level, so I'm a bit lost on what to do. Sure, I can figure out the usual scry and die tactics, but are there more cunning and fool-proof schemes?

So - what Core and SRD tricks and plans can you suggest for my BBEG?

Adamaro
2010-03-16, 04:49 AM
Well from what you wrote, this guy is smart. So if his resources are somewhat depleted, he will surely not show up in person. Or - due to his high capabilities - he may just as well try a fresh start - perhaps a couple of decades of scheming and intrigue and then strike.

This "reclaiming his treasure" IMHO does not work for someone with int 14+. BBEG himself is by far the strongest asset he has and I see no logic in wasting it against creature, BBEG knows are in posession of his (probably) rather powerfull items. (without SERIOUSLY gearing up with items, monsters and dirty tricks first)

BTW: How did anyone pop up in his demiplane? Demiplane (Genesis based) should be impenetrable by anyone, not even by a diety.

BobVosh
2010-03-16, 05:45 AM
Astral Projection + Plane shift is the standard way. Make death not matter.

Soul Gem can be fun. Anything that makes you fight at them instead of being there is better tactic. However it makes for a poor BBEG in endgame.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-03-17, 02:38 AM
The BBEG wants his treasure back in a sort of Sauron wants his Ring back way.
That said, I guess gaining some powerful items to aid this hunt would be good. Suggestions?
(He'll be a little short on cash, but that's never worried an epic level bad guy before...)

Adamaro
2010-03-17, 03:21 AM
Well yeah, being a BBEG you can go hunt a ring if you have an orc armada at your disposal. Being just-returned lich, this may be a problem. (and he has high INT.this is vital. He will not go blindly grasping after anything)
Since artifacts do not grow on trees, if I was a lich, I would obtain parhaps a Necklace of strangulation, Cloak of poisonousness and a couple of Scarabs of death. Just to even te odds, you know :-D

I would have my minions/pets (i am alvl20wiz/5archmage. Minions come by default) plant them on a path of these loot-hungry PCs and reduce their party to a more manageable level. (Perhaps planting also some soul gems would be nice. they die, you steal their souls - no ressurection - and then teleport the gems to yourself)

Considering my respective powers I might contact, say plane of abyss and get to make some favors in the future for a balor, while he and his army pop up as my little helpers. And then, astral projection and wazaaam.

Should be nice :-D