PDA

View Full Version : you never want to be the little bird

IsaacTheHungry
2010-03-16, 12:09 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/7447003/Starling-snatched-mid-air-by-eagle-in-spectacular-photo.html

Eagle catching a starling in 3 progressive photos :smalleek:

Syka
2010-03-16, 12:42 PM
That guy is a great photographer. The second picture is stunning.

FoE
2010-03-16, 02:10 PM
Eagle catching a starling in 3 progressive photos

News flash! The animal kingdom does not adhere to Disney rules. :smalltongue:

Yora
2010-03-16, 02:11 PM
I like it when little birds are killed by insects.

Those are big, nasty bugs! :smallyuk:

Starscream
2010-03-16, 02:46 PM

Good thing, too. I'd hate to see any animals modeled after Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers.

And it would be sad to eat things that can sing Alan Menken songs.

Umael
2010-03-16, 04:40 PM
That's interesting.

I've seen birds about the same size as that starling mob a falcon before. The whole "I'm smaller, I have more maneuveribility" thing kicking in.

But the article states that the starlings seemed to be completely hyponotized to ignore the eagle.

Predators go for prey of a certain size, energy expenditure / risk vs. reward issue. I would think that the starling would have been too small - given that eagles will snatch 25-30 lb salmon, a starling that weighs considerably less doesn't seem like an ideal choice.

I feel like I'm missing part of the puzzle.

arguskos
2010-03-16, 05:12 PM
Maybe that starling called the eagle's momma fat. :smalltongue:

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-16, 05:19 PM
Hmm. Bummer.

Temotei
2010-03-17, 02:44 AM
Maybe that starling called the eagle's momma fat. :smalltongue:

It could have insulted its ship nest too.

Athaniar
2010-03-17, 03:20 AM
That's some awesome photography.

Krade
2010-03-17, 05:40 PM

Yes it plays by much more awesome rules. Nature does not play nice. Being small means you're food.

When I was in high school, one of the 9th grade science teachers found a kitten on the side of the road and took it home. As her husband (The AV lab teacher) was complaining about her picking up another pet while the cat was in the backyard. I don't think it was a bald eagle (there were a few of those around) but it was definitely a large raptor, came down, snatched it up, and carried it away, never to be seen again. She cried. He told the story to other teachers. It got passed around.

Note: I know it's sad, but the fact that nature did it was hilarious. If the kitten had gotten hit by a car or drowned or really anything else it would not have been funny.

Soterion
2010-03-17, 06:02 PM
That's interesting.

I've seen birds about the same size as that starling mob a falcon before. The whole "I'm smaller, I have more maneuveribility" thing kicking in.

But the article states that the starlings seemed to be completely hyponotized to ignore the eagle.

Predators go for prey of a certain size, energy expenditure / risk vs. reward issue. I would think that the starling would have been too small - given that eagles will snatch 25-30 lb salmon, a starling that weighs considerably less doesn't seem like an ideal choice.

Growing up on a farm in the American northwest, every fall we cut hay for use by our cows and/or horses. This involved first cutting, then, after a drying period, raking the hay into long windrows. One September, as I drove the tractor raking the hay, I watched half a dozen bald eagles bomb down from their perches in the surrounding trees to nail mice and voles as they were exposed. This went on until I had cleared the field.

DemonicAngel
2010-03-17, 06:20 PM
Thats really good photography.

I have a red chests falcon flying around my house (a 19 stories high marble building.. looks like a cliff form the outside). he once landed on our window one night... then it went and catched a pigeon in midair.

SuperMuldoon
2010-03-19, 10:51 AM
That's interesting.

It is possible that since the starlings seem 'hypnotized' and do not attempt to evade the eagles, there is a very low chance of failure and low energy used to catch them, as opposed to trying to catch salmon. This could tip the whole energy expenditure/risk v. reward in favor of the starlings. My theory for now until we get some more info :smallsmile:

KerfuffleMach2
2010-03-19, 09:48 PM
I like the videos of Peregrine falcons dive-bombing other birds.

Those guys are mean.