PDA

View Full Version : Manyfanged Dagger abuse.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-16, 12:20 PM
I was considering doinf a swordsage/rogue sneak attack build, and I thought hey maybe dual wielding manyfang daggers (Serpent Kingdoms).

Despite the high price I believe this are the weapons for a dual wielder, the do quadruple damage per hit, now if we stack things such as craven (at lvl 15* thats +60 damage per hit), shadow blade for dex to damage, and I am sure there are tons of other ways to add statical damage.

Maybe they are not in the legue of an übercharger, but still I believe that it is a high damage output and if we can get a full attack, assuming the twf line that is 6 attacks per round (which with the help of wraithstrike are quite easy to land) and quadruple damage on each of them plus sneak attack.

What does the playground thinks about this.

*I said lvl 15 because IMO that is the level that WBL allows to have a pair of manyfang daggers and still have some cash for other important things such as armor, misc items and stat boosters.

Greenish
2010-03-16, 12:27 PM
Dual wield Ghost Spikes, the real weapons for dual wielders.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-16, 12:29 PM
Dual wield Ghost Spikes, the real weapons for dual wielders.

What do they do and source please?

Greenish
2010-03-16, 12:31 PM
What do they do and source please?Double weapon, d6/d6 | 19-20/x2/x3, from Dragon #348.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-16, 12:31 PM
Amazing what a google search gets ya (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22Ghost+Spike%22+D%26D&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=). Still no idea what it does, but at least I have a source: DR348 p86.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

jokey665
2010-03-16, 12:48 PM
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weaponsb.pl?Ghost_Spike

So... what? It's a one-handed double weapon, so you get twice as many attacks as with normal TWF? Is that how it works?

Douglas
2010-03-16, 12:49 PM
Double weapon, d6/d6 | 19-20/x2/x3, from Dragon #348.
Ok, so one end of it has better than the normal best crit stats. How does this make it better than a weapon that does quadruple damage all the time?

Greenish
2010-03-16, 12:51 PM
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weaponsb.pl?Ghost_Spike

So... what? It's a one-handed double weapon, so you get twice as many attacks as with normal TWF? Is that how it works?So claims the little munchkin in my head.

[Edit]:
Ok, so one end of it has better than the normal best crit stats. How does this make it better than a weapon that does quadruple damage all the time?It's one handed. Have two.

FishAreWet
2010-03-16, 12:52 PM
Ok, so one end of it has better than the normal best crit stats. How does this make it better than a weapon that does quadruple damage all the time?

It's a double weapon. I don't know if it actually works, but I assume he's talking about dual wielding them. Which grants 4 attacks per iteratives, with each one allows for precision damage.

Douglas
2010-03-16, 12:57 PM
So claims the little munchkin in my head.

[Edit]:It's one handed. Have two.
Unless it has wording that specifically overrides this, A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#doubleWeapons)

Simply being both a double weapon and one-handed isn't enough unless the full description explicitly states you can attack with both ends using just one hand.

It's a double weapon. I don't know if it actually works, but I assume he's talking about dual wielding them. Which grants 4 attacks per iteratives, with each one allows for precision damage.
Dual-wielding Manyfanged Daggers gets you effectively 8 attacks per iterative. I'd have to check the wording for how it interacts with precision damage, though.

Greenish
2010-03-16, 01:05 PM
Unless it has wording that specifically overrides this, A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#doubleWeapons)

Simply being both a double weapon and one-handed isn't enough unless the full description explicitly states you can attack with both ends using just one hand.Hehe, RAW is a weird beast.

Douglas
2010-03-16, 01:28 PM
That sentence was intended to prevent such things as a large creature wielding a medium sized double weapon (or medium creature and small weapon), but it does mean something like the Ghost Spike has to specifically spell out that it being one-handed wasn't just the writer forgetting that double weapons are normally two-handers.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-16, 02:01 PM
Just got a questions, do you roll four times the damage from a manyfanged dagger or do you multply the resutl by 4? when I posted the tread I just thought on statical damage from sources other than the weapon itself.

Greenish
2010-03-16, 02:11 PM
Just got a questions, do you roll four times the damage from a manyfanged dagger or do you multply the resutl by 4? when I posted the tread I just thought on statical damage from sources other than the weapon itself.If you could post the actual wording from the book, we could make educated guesses.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-16, 02:28 PM
...a Manyfang Dagger deals quadruple damage on each succesful hit or quintuple damage on a critical hit

So by my reading you multiply damage by 4....

AslanCross
2010-03-16, 05:55 PM
So by my reading you multiply damage by 4....

When you multiply damage on a critical hit with a regular dagger, you roll twice. The weapon entry says you deal quadruple damage on a successful hit and a quintuple damage on a crit.