PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Offender PRC - PEACH

Mongoose87
2010-03-16, 12:44 PM
Dwarven Offender

The traditional style of the dwarven defender always had one glaring flaw: utter reliance on the enemy being stupid enough to charge. As a purely defensive tactic this was not especially detrimental, but when a Dwarven Defender was involve in an offensive battle, he usually found himself coming up short.

It was with this problem in mind that the Dwarven Offenders were founded. The most daring warriors of this order would train with a partner dwarven defender, forming a deadly duo. Their procedure is simple. The dwarven defender takes a rope or chain attached to the offender's waist, whirls him over head, and releasing him. The offender flies through the air, striking their foes' back rank and driving them into the reach of the dwarven defender.

Hit Die: d12

Prerequisites:
Race: Dwarf
Feats: Leap Attack
Skills: Use Rope 5 ranks
Special: Must have been trained in the fighting style of the Dwarven Offenders

The Dwarven Offender's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft(Int), Escape Artist(Dex), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Knowledge(Dungeoneering)(Int) Profession (Wis), Ride(Dex), Tumble(Dex) and Use Rope(Dex)

Skill Points at Each Level
4+ int modifier

DWARVEN OFFENDER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Offensive Stance 1/day, Madman Meteor
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Uncanny Dodge

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Spring Attack, Offensive Stance 2/day

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|You Can Run But You Can't Fly, Offensive Stance 3/day

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Offensive Stance 4/day, Defender Cohort

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Offensive Stance 5/day

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|Crater Landing[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the dwarven offender prestige class.

Offensive Stance (Ex)
Any time you strike a foe successfully with your Leap Attack feat, you may choose to enter your offensive stance. While in this stance, you gain a +4 bonus to hit, tumble checks, jump checks and intimidate checks, a +10 bonus to your movement speed and a +2 bonus to your constitution. This stance lasts until you fail to land an attack on an opponent in a given round.

At fourth level, your bonus to hit increases to +6.

At eighth level, your bonus to hit increases to +8, your bonus to constitution increases to +4 and your bonus to speed increases to +15.

You may uses this ability once per day at first level, plus once more for every odd-numbered level greater than 1st.

Madman Meteor (Ex)
The signature move of the Dwarven Offenders is a team effort to fling their boldest members into the heat of battle. The dwarven offender is spun around several times and hurled mightily. He makes a jump check with a bonus equal to the strength modifier plus one half the base attack bonus of his hurler. Using this leap, he flies as far back into the enemy ranks as possible, striking one of their number, utilizing the Leap Attack feat. He then makes a free intimidate check against all enemies who see this feat, with a +5 bonus, if he lands his attack. Any enemy successfully intimidated is shaken and must use their next move action to run in fear. If the check succeeds by ten or more, intimidated enemies are so panicked that they always flee in the direction of the hurler.

This requires a full-round action from both characters. In order to perform the Madman Meteor, whichever character has a higher initiative must hold his action until the second character's initiative.

If he is hurled by a character with levels in dwarven defender, the dwarven offender gains a competence bonus to his jump check equal to their class level, and a competence bonus to his intimidate check equal to half their class level.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

Starting at 2nd level, a dwarven offender retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (He still loses any Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)

If a character gains uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below).

Spring Attack
At 3rd level, the dwarven offender gains use of the feat Spring Attack, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
Bonus Feat
At levels 4 and 8, you gain any feat from the list of fighter bonus feats for which you meet the prerequisites.

You Can Run, But You Can't Fly (Ex)
At fifth level, if a dwarven offender successfully lands an attack on a flying target, while using his Madman Meteor class feature, the target instantly begins falling. It may not fly again until it succeeds on a fortitude save equal to 10+class level+strength modifier. This save is made each round on its turn.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)

At 6th level, a dwarven offender can no longer be flanked. This defense denies rogues the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack the dwarven offender.

The exception to this defense is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the dwarven offender can flank him (and thus sneak attack him).

If a character gains uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge, and the levels from those classes stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Defender Cohort
At seventh level, you have entered the upper-echelons of your order, and the Dwarven Offenders send you a dedicated hurler. You gain the benefit of a dwarven defender cohort as though through the leadership feat, though he may only take levels in fighter and dwarven defender.

If your cohort is slain and you cannot afford to or are unable to have him resurrected, the Dwarven Offenders will attempt to resurrect him, but you will be responsible for finding yourself a new, suitable cohort.

Crater Landing(Ex)
You have mastered the Madman Meteor technique and can utilize it like no other. A number of times per day equal to your constitution modifier, you may make a Crater Landing, when using the Meteor Madman technique. If you successfully hit with your attack, the force is so great that all enemies within fifteen feet are affected. They all must make a fortitude save with a DC of 20+Str or be knocked prone. All foes but your original target take half the damage you dealt with your attack.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-16, 01:26 PM
And here I thought the Dwarven Offender would be a Dwarven Defender who insulted his enemies to make them attack him. :smallbiggrin:

I like it. It's certainly unique conceptually, and the implementation is well-done. The only issue I have is the dead levels at 4th and 8th; I'd suggest for one of them some sort of bowling-inspired maneuver that lets you knock enemies back, and for the other something similar to the Dungeoncrasher fighter variant.

peacenlove
2010-03-16, 01:53 PM
And here I thought the Dwarven Offender would be a Dwarven Defender who insulted his enemies to make them attack him. :smallbiggrin:

I like it. It's certainly unique conceptually, and the implementation is well-done. The only issue I have is the dead levels at 4th and 8th; I'd suggest for one of them some sort of bowling-inspired maneuver that lets you knock enemies back, and for the other something similar to the Dungeoncrasher fighter variant.

Seconded :smallamused: The name is amusing at least :smallbiggrin:
Alternatively you could fill those levels with really offending abilities such as goading your opponents to attack you (like the Goad feat but hopefully better :smallbiggrin:) or insulting your companions as to archieve greater feats of strength (think orc warlord mass rage)

DracoDei
2010-03-16, 02:32 PM
The initiative stuff to make Madman Meteor is a bit odd... I assume it is a full round action for BOTH of them, and one of them must delay to sync up their initiative before it can be used?

I did some work with and related to simultaneous turns. See the Gemini Strike feat, Arc Vest, and the thread with Castor and Pollux (listed under creatures) for discussion and mechanics. All of these links may be found in my extended signature (link to that in my main signature).

Mongoose87
2010-03-16, 04:07 PM
Initiative issues are now fixed, and I made the Madman Meteor a full-round action.

Actually, I intentionally left 4 and 8 open - they're both the levels at which your offensive stance improves.

EDIT: A note, I don't want anyone to think this was inspired by the Battleragers from the Drizzt novels, because it was completely inspire by the thread discussing the merits of PrCs, and I wanted something to pair up with the Dwarven Defender to make it worthwhile.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-16, 05:29 PM
Actually, I intentionally left 4 and 8 open - they're both the levels at which your offensive stance improves.

This is true; however, you still give benefits at 3rd, 5th, and 7th when the number of uses goes up, so having the stance improve in addition to other benefits isn't that big of a deal.

Cieyrin
2010-03-16, 05:51 PM

I'd probably note that in the table that such happens, then, as dead levels are turn offs to people.

Also, this distinctly reminds me of an older brew from a while back, the Throwing Gnome (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46162), though this only does a bit of the what the Gnome is utterly focused on.

Mongoose87
2010-03-16, 07:40 PM
Ok, I put bonus feats in levels 4 and 8, so there are now no dead levels.