PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Teleport to a place in sight

Choco
2010-03-16, 01:01 PM
Judging by the spell description, teleport was obviously designed for long distance travel. But what if you want to use it to teleport to a place in sight of you (and obviously lack any other means to do it)?

In the description it says the clearer your mental image of the place the better the chances of the teleport going off, and seeing as how you can actually SEE the place instead of having to remember it, that would mean you roll on the Very Familiar row of the table right? Or better yet, just make it an instant success?

Basically, can I use the teleport spell to reliably teleport myself into melee with a far off target like a flying dragon, or use it to appear in front of a person I am chasing?

Lysander
2010-03-16, 01:04 PM
Yep, treat it as familiar:

“Very familiar” is a place where you have been very often and where you feel at home. “Studied carefully” is a place you know well, either because you can currently see it, you’ve been there often, or you have used other means (such as scrying) to study the place for at least one hour. “Seen casually” is a place that you have seen more than once but with which you are not very familiar. “Viewed once” is a place that you have seen once, possibly using magic.

The spell still has a 3% chance of screwing up even if you're teleporting right nearby.

Choco
2010-03-16, 01:06 PM
Can't believe I missed the part where it flat-out says "you can currently see it".

But that aside, that means I can reliably (as reliable as you consider a 97% chance to be) teleport into the exact 5 foot square I want though right?

FishAreWet
2010-03-16, 01:06 PM
That's also what Dimension Door is for.

Choco
2010-03-16, 01:08 PM

Yes I know, but I am playing a sorcerer and don't have the spells known to waste on multiple types of teleportation, so was just checking to see if the normal lvl 5 teleport will be good enough.

Lysander
2010-03-16, 01:21 PM
Also, over short ranges the 3% failure rate might not be problematic even when it happens. For example, if you just want to move fifty feet away from an adjacent enemy and you have an off-target mishap, it might not really matter which direction you teleport in. It could be a problem if you're trying to get in a specific room, or through a trapped dungeon though.

The 1% "Similar Area" error is up to your DM. He might rule it does nothing, sends you off just by a few feet, or could send you off hundreds of miles.

Choco
2010-03-16, 01:23 PM
I think how far you are off target is a roll based on how far you were attempting to travel.

But that aside, I guess the only way to find out is to use it and see what happens :smallbiggrin:

Scipio
2010-03-16, 03:18 PM

Except that you cannot act after Dimension Door, and you can act after Teleport (assuming you have actions left).