PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Quick equipment question

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-16, 01:43 PM
Is there a listing anywhere for an empty nonmagical sheath (or scabbard)?

If anyone cares to know why I'm asking (and because I've never used a spoiler before and I felt like it:smalltongue:)
I had a character concept some time ago for a melee character (probably a barbarian) who had empty sheaths of all shapes and sizes strapped on and who never bought any weapons, but stole them from his dead or otherwise disabled foes. (Our DM at the time gave us our first weapon free.)

jiriku
2010-03-16, 01:47 PM
No. A reasonable price might be 1sp for a leather or wooden sheath, or 1gp for a brass or iron one. Decorations and sparkly bits cost extra.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-16, 02:15 PM
No. A reasonable price might be 1sp for a leather or wooden sheath, or 1gp for a brass or iron one. Decorations and sparkly bits cost extra.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

Keld Denar
2010-03-16, 02:34 PM
Yea, funny. There isn't an actual list price for them, just like there is no list price for a quiver. You get a free quiver with every 20 arrows you buy. Similarly, you get a free scabbard with every weapon you buy. Somebody out there must be getting a really good deal on mass produced quivers and scabbards. Too bad they are all stamped on the bottom "Made in Xen'drik".

Sliver
2010-03-16, 03:18 PM
I am amazed! How can you say that! Goods and Gear contains Scabbards of various quality and prices on page 74!

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-16, 03:42 PM
I am amazed! How can you say that! Goods and Gear contains Scabbards of various quality and prices on page 74!

I had never heard of that book, but so it does. Thank you good sir.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-16, 04:22 PM

Third Party source, so the odds of being allowed those items are impractical. Even if it just contains fluff, the average DM usually disregards 3rd party material unless he himself made it.

Sliver
2010-03-16, 10:50 PM
Not relevant to the question, which was if there was listing of such information anywhere.

AslanCross
2010-03-16, 10:57 PM
I'd think the cost of the item includes the container. On the other hand, not all items have scabbards. One really wouldn't carry an axe or mace around in a scabbard. @_@

Sliver
2010-03-16, 11:01 PM
Indeed, that third party source mentioned above says that swords, daggers and such weapon are the only ones that come with one, and the leather scabbard is almost always included with the weapon and it's initial price.

Crow
2010-03-16, 11:04 PM
You'll want a a wooden sheathe probably wrapped in leather. Metal sheathes can cause your blade's edge to grind against metal when you draw it. Ideally your scabbard will be made with some sort of soft wood.

That "SHING!" sound you hear in movies when dudes draw a sword is not a good sound!

A well-made scabbard can expect to run at about 30% of the cost of the weapon itself.