PDA

View Full Version : Spellfire from 3.0

MonarchAnarch
2010-03-16, 02:48 PM
Was it ever updated to 3.5 or pathfinder? I really love the system, and hope I missed an update. Anything out there homebrewed?

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-16, 02:54 PM
IIRC it's in Magic of Faerun. I'll edit with page # later, (when I have access to my books) if no else has.

Back. The spellfire description starts on page 17 of Magic of Faerun, and the feat you need to use it is on page 23. There's also a prestige class (Spellfire Channeler) on page 38. Pretty cool stuff.

Optimystik
2010-03-16, 03:06 PM
Arcane Fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm) is similar, isn't it? It's been a while since I read MoF.

arguskos
2010-03-16, 03:53 PM
Arcane Fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm) is similar, isn't it? It's been a while since I read MoF.
Not really, considering Spellfire can absorb spells, deal damage, and heal people. You can also use it to fly and do other cool stuff with the Spellfire Wielder PrC.

In answer to the OP, no, it was never updated to 3.5, and won't be updated for Pathfinder (not OGL content).

Ishcumbeebeeda
2010-03-16, 03:56 PM
Not really, considering Spellfire can absorb spells, deal damage, and heal people. You can also use it to fly and do other cool stuff with the Spellfire Wielder PrC.

In answer to the OP, no, it was never updated to 3.5, and won't be updated for Pathfinder (not OGL content).

Sorry about that, didn't realize MoF wasn't 3.5:smallredface:

hamishspence
2010-03-16, 03:56 PM
There was a 3.5 epic spellfre wielder PRC (Spellfire Hierophant) in Player's Guide to Faerun.

Going by this, the 3.0 spellfire wielder is still basically valid in 3.5.

The only major changes that would need to be made, really, are to change the DR granted by Crown of Fire (10/+1) to 10/magic, and rename Wilderness Lore (on its skill list) as Survival.

Eldan
2010-03-16, 03:58 PM
Hmm. If you just want the fluff and similar mechanics, I think with a Warlock and one or two custom invocations, you should be close enough.

arguskos
2010-03-16, 04:04 PM
Hmm. If you just want the fluff and similar mechanics, I think with a Warlock and one or two custom invocations, you should be close enough.
...considering 3.0 material is considered valid if un-updated, no reason to bother. Just use Spellfire as normal, assuming your DM clears it.

hamishspence
2010-03-16, 04:04 PM
Or just use it as written, with the aforementioned changes (ones with fairly logical extrapolation)

There's a strong implication that its supposed to function in 3.5- with the addition of a 3.5 PRC in Players Guide to Faerun.

arguskos
2010-03-16, 04:13 PM
Or just use it as written, with the aforementioned changes (ones with fairly logical extrapolation)

There's a strong implication that its supposed to function in 3.5- with the addition of a 3.5 PRC in Players Guide to Faerun.
Yeah, those are good fixes. It's not even a particularly STRONG system, given the issues with spell absorption.

hamishspence
2010-03-16, 04:17 PM
That's pretty much what I do if parts of a class don't function quite the same way- adjust to match the new edition.

For example, DR/+1 can be changed to DR/magic, and skills can be renamed (or, if the skill is defunct, such as Innuendo or Intuit Direction, it can be removed from the list, and maybe another skill substituted.)

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-16, 04:51 PM
Everything should work out fairly well, nothing in the mechanics of the spellfire feat conflict with 3.5 so the PrC just needs some fairly standard updating.

My next campaign I'm planning out features a race the Hash'ilk'Khan who all possess spellfire as a bonus feat. Though they get a few powers beyond the regular for a spellfire wielder.

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-16, 07:21 PM
Yeah, those are good fixes. It's not even a particularly STRONG system, given the issues with spell absorption.

Arcane Spellcaster with Spellfire, (Greater) Celerity and immunity to daze is pretty nasty. You basically activate a Rod of Absorption on a swift action, though you can only use it to cause damage or heal. However, it can and will get nasty target spells used against you and make them worthless (including and not limited to Twinned, Split Ray Maximized Empowered Enervation, for example).

Still not very strong, but it can frustrate spellcasters.

arguskos
2010-03-16, 07:34 PM
Arcane Spellcaster with Spellfire, (Greater) Celerity and immunity to daze is pretty nasty. You basically activate a Rod of Absorption on a swift action, though you can only use it to cause damage or heal. However, it can and will get nasty target spells used against you and make them worthless (including and not limited to Twinned, Split Ray Maximized Empowered Enervation, for example).

Still not very strong, but it can frustrate spellcasters.
That's cause you have Immunity to Daze, which is really the key there. If it takes Immunity to Daze and Greater Celerity to break, I'm not concerned about it's power level. :smallwink:

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-16, 07:48 PM
Hmm... can warforged be dazed? Also, if spellfire functions as a rod of absorption, and they got updated, is spell fire also updated to function like the new rods?

MonarchAnarch
2010-03-17, 08:23 AM
Sadly my d&d days are over, I just have a little place in my heart from one of those wonderful campaigns that you never forget. I was hoping to see if it had recieved any love in the later days of 3.5 or in pathfinder.

Just an old man being nostalgic. haha

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 09:06 AM
Hmm... can warforged be dazed? Also, if spellfire functions as a rod of absorption, and they got updated, is spell fire also updated to function like the new rods?

Everything can be dazed (even undead). Certain spells which cause daze, however, undead are immune to the effects due to subtypes of magic. But not all of them.