PDA

View Full Version : A Most Unconventional Attack:

Vagnarok
2010-03-16, 04:57 PM
Hello playgrounders,
I was just DMing a quick session with my friend and he decided to make it interesting. His 5th level fighter snuck up and grabbed a goblin by the ankles from behind. Then as his attack, he (being very strong) picked up the 50lb goblin and cracked his body like a whip and smashed his head onto a rock.

So here's the question, as a DM, how much damage should I assign? I gave him 1d6+6 which is more than enough to kill the goblin, but what if he did it against a similarly sized more powerful foe?

How much does the rule of cool factor in?

Greenish
2010-03-16, 04:59 PM
1d6 (falling damage) + BAB + 1.5xStrength (wielding the enemy with both hands). :smallcool:

gallagher
2010-03-16, 05:00 PM
Hello playgrounders,
I was just DMing a quick session with my friend and he decided to make it interesting. His 5th level fighter snuck up and grabbed a goblin by the ankles from behind. Then as his attack, he (being very strong) picked up the 50lb goblin and cracked his body like a whip and smashed his head onto a rock.

So here's the question, as a DM, how much damage should I assign? I have him 1d6+6 which is more than enough to kill the goblin, but what if he did it against a similarly sized more powerful foe?

How much does the rule of cool factor in? well from my experience, getting hit in the head by something similar to a rock wall, the big deal isnt the damage, but being stunned from it. i would say find a way to make them save or be stunned, like if he got hit with a stunning fist

Hzurr
2010-03-16, 05:03 PM
2 things:

1) BAB doesn't apply to damage typically. I think 1d6 + 1.5 Str sounds good.

2) While this was definately awesome, be careful about the precident you're setting. Typically to do something like this would require 2 or 3 separate checks made over a few rounds. If you let this turn into something easy to do, the PCs will keep trying to do it to everything.

Frosty
2010-03-16, 05:04 PM
2 things:

2) While this was definately awesome, be careful about the precident you're setting. Typically to do something like this would require 2 or 3 separate checks made over a few rounds. If you let this turn into something easy to do, the PCs will keep trying to do it to everything.

Actually no, something similar to this would only require a standard action if you take away the stun. Setting Sun throw maneuvers anyone?

Flickerdart
2010-03-16, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but that's a specific technique that you need training to access. I'd say two actions: a grab, and then an attack, so it could be done within a single full attack.

faceroll
2010-03-16, 05:14 PM
Grapple + unarmed strike damage in grapple, giving him a circumstance bonus to damage and all checks for doing something cool.

Greenish
2010-03-16, 05:16 PM
Well, technically I think it would be grapple -> pin -> move grapple. That requires at least two turns.

Vagnarok
2010-03-16, 05:24 PM
2 things:

I actually made him move silently while hiding over one round and then he made a grapple check to hold on to his ankles. After he made the grapple check I let him roll for damage because he had worked so hard for his victory!

Lapak
2010-03-16, 05:30 PM
Counter-question: what damage would you assign if a giant did this to the PC?