PDA

View Full Version : karate-ificer

shadow_archmagi
2010-03-16, 07:54 PM
So, I just kinda remembered that somewhere in Tome of Battle are items that function like scrolls (just like there are psionic versions of scrolls)

So I was thinking:

What if you had a character who relied only on these to fight.

Gallitor, Paladin: "Quick, stop him from escaping!"
Neville, Artificer: "Umm.. uuhh.. oh god which scroll; here it is! How to punch a guy. Step one.. punch a guy... "

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-16, 07:56 PM
Doesn't work - you need to know the martial maneuver to scribe a martial script. Artificers can't emulate that.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-16, 07:58 PM
Doesn't work - you need to know the martial maneuver to scribe a martial script. Artificers can't emulate that.

What is the spell that grants a fighter bonus feat? first use a scroll of that for the maneuver. Would that work?

Yukitsu
2010-03-16, 07:59 PM
Yes, but you'd only qualify for basic moves.

Really, those items are fairly cost ineffective. You're better off using spells that have similar effects, because spells tend to have more bang for your buck.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-16, 08:01 PM
What is the spell that grants a fighter bonus feat? first use a scroll of that for the maneuver. Would that work?

You wouldn't be able to learn any maneuvers with prerequisites, and all higher level maneuvers have prerequisites.

Flickerdart
Heroics.

You could abuse Psychic Reformation somehow, I'm sure of it. Or dip Chameleon for the floating feat. You could get three floating maneuvers this way, which can grab some high-level ones. Or adapt a Maneouvre to Spell Archivist like there is an StP Erudite, but less so.

shadow_archmagi

Ah. I was hoping they could do the whole "Emulate Any Class Feature" gig.

Really, those items are fairly cost ineffective. You're better off using spells that have similar effects, because spells tend to have more bang for your buck.

Given that the original idea was "Guy who writes down attacks so he can know how to use them" it isn't exactly an optimization thread

Yukitsu
2010-03-16, 08:08 PM
I mean it's sub par to an obtuse degree. Almost all of the manuevers in isolation do very little, a lot of them depend on the character also being decent without it in melee. Few make someone bad at melee good at it.

Darrin
2010-03-16, 08:49 PM
You wouldn't be able to learn any maneuvers with prerequisites, and all higher level maneuvers have prerequisites.

Not all. The 9th level Stone Dragon maneuver, Mountain Tombstone Strike, has no prereqs. None of the Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink maneuvers have prereqs, either. However, you still need a high enough Initiator Level, which will be problematic since non-martial adepts get only 1/2 IL per level.

golentan
2010-03-16, 08:55 PM
See, I'd go at it from a Regalia of the Nine perspective. Crown of White Raven and so forth: you know, the wondrous items that you only need have "knowledge of a maneuver from school X" and Craft Wondrous item for? Then work from there.

Edit: And if you really want to be abusive, it doesn't say you have to know the maneuver, just that you have "Knowledge Of it," an unusual wording more like how a druid needs to know of an animal to wildshape as it. Saw a swordsage go at it once? Boom, Knowledge Of.